2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#432565 - 01/02/07 12:54 PM Lift kit Question.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like to lift my 2000 X se about 2 to 3 inches. I don't do heavy off road stuff but I do drive to go snowboarding, mountain biking and camping. So the most offroad stuff is like loging roads. What do you think for lift and brands. Are suspention lifts harder to install than body lifts. I plan on doing it myself. Any feedback would be a great help. [drink]

#432566 - 01/02/07 01:56 PM Re: Lift kit Question.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why are you lifting it? Do you just want to fit bigger tires and look cool at the mall? You don't need a lift to drive logging roads in the snow. Just get some better tire than the general crappers you probably have on there and take the steps rails and mud flaps off.

If you are just wanting big rims/tires get a body lift so you don't tie up the mfg./shipping at Calmini or SLR any further. You don't need a suspension lift.

See ya at the mall for the show and shine!

:rolleyes:

#432567 - 01/02/07 02:36 PM Re: Lift kit Question.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by T-Ray:
Why are you lifting it? Do you just want to fit bigger tires and look cool at the mall? You don't need a lift to drive logging roads in the snow. Just get some better tire than the general crappers you probably have on there and take the steps rails and mud flaps off.

If you are just wanting big rims/tires get a [b]body lift
so you don't tie up the mfg./shipping at Calmini or SLR any further. You don't need a suspension lift.

See ya at the mall for the show and shine!

:rolleyes: [/b]
Cut the dude some slack. There is nothing wrong with lifting for looks. Plus, he said he does a little offroading so he's all right.

My recommendation is to do a PML (rear shackles and front torsion crank) and a 2" Body lift to make 3-3.5." Then, you can fit up to a 33" tire. A killer combo.

#432568 - 01/02/07 02:43 PM Re: Lift kit Question.
Anonymous
Unregistered

So first off you don't have to be an A$$. People post hear for advice. All I wanted to get was someones oppinion on what they thought was a good way to go. This is what I have done so far. Cranked up the front end and put on larger off road tires 265/70/16 mud tires with 16" all black steel wheels that have a slight offset to them. The CRAPY stock running/step boards were tossed. I trimed all the plastic I could and I still get a slight rubbing when I turn realy sharp. I am installing a set of Calmini sliders tomorrow. When I posted That I didn't do hard off road stuff that didn't mean I wouldn't do it at some point. All I want to do is get rid of the tire rub and be able to go into harder spots if I want to. So anyone who could give me some advice without an atitude would be great.

#432569 - 01/02/07 03:27 PM Re: Lift kit Question.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by HOCKEYSTOP:
... So anyone who could give me some advice without an atitude would be great.
I thought I just did. confused

#432570 - 01/02/07 03:33 PM Re: Lift kit Question.
Anonymous
Unregistered

The reply wasn't for you Skaggs. I thank you for your advice. I do have a question for you about the rear shackles, what brand do you think is best? I want to oreder them tonight if I could. Aslo do you know of a 2"bl that includes the bumper brackets? Thanks for all your help [drink] [drink] [drink] [drink]

#432571 - 01/02/07 04:11 PM Re: Lift kit Question.
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Hockey -

OK - the reason you are getting rub with essentialy 31" tires even though 32's fit w/o a lift, is that you got rims with too little backspacing.

To compenate for the rims having too little backspacing, you are now taking about doing a lift...

I think that sums it up.

laugh

So - As you are running about stock sized tires...

...your choices would be just getting a set of rims with 5.5" of BS, so that your rub problem is solved...

...or lift the truck until the tires stop hitting.

W/o knowing the actual BS you have, its hard to guess if the 2" BL + PML would help...it might, but there would be no promise.

IF you did the 2" BL + PML...AND had the right BS...33's would fit...a really nice size for the X.

IF you keep the same RIMS, even 31's may continue to rub.

frown

The front bumper relocation brackets are a waste...two pipes on your frame horns, and bolt the bumper up and you are done...of course, with the aftermarket bracket, or the two pipes...the bumper is now just cosmetic/won't take a hit anymore.

I left my bumper at stock height, and lived with the gap until I could get a shrock on there.

The rear bumper just needs to get new holes, and re-mounted...a few minutes or work, as its already off at that point, etc...

I've HEARD/READ that all you need to do is flip the end brackets on the rear bumper to raise it 2"...but I've never done it...I heard about it after I'd already done mine.

The easiest place to get a 6" eye to eye shackle (1.5" of lift over the ~ 3" OEM shackle...) is at :

www.purenissan.com

_____

www.4x4parts.com has one that length too I hear, with a cross brace (Stronger design...), but they are notorius for SAYING they have it...and then shipping something else....etc.

laugh

Hope that helps.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#432572 - 01/02/07 04:31 PM Re: Lift kit Question.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks that helps a ton. Now a dumb question. Do I need 2 or 4 shackles? [drink] [drink] [drink]

#432573 - 01/02/07 05:34 PM Re: Lift kit Question.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Two, but they come in pairs. So you need to order just one set.

#432574 - 01/02/07 05:37 PM Re: Lift kit Question.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks I will order shackels tonight. Last thing, Wich body lift? can someone send me a link? Thanks again. [drink] [drink] [drink] [drink] [drink]

#432575 - 01/02/07 06:30 PM Re: Lift kit Question.
TJ Offline

Take a look at the rear of the truck....at the shackles you plan to swap out for longer ones...there's one on each side, at the end of each spring pack.

As you asked the question, I'm making a wild guess that this is not old hat to you?

laugh

Advice on the shackle swap -

Remember that they are supporting the weight of the truck...so, BEFORE trying to get them off, Just loosen the bolts...but leave them on...then lift he truck with a jack until the shackles are able to rattle...that's when you will be able to pull the bolts out.

If you pull the bolt while there's still weight on the springs...the spring will, well, spring...and might knock your teeth out, break your foot, etc.

laugh

I like to get it so it rattles...pull the bolts, then go about 1.5" higher, and set it on jack stands. (Higher, as the new shackles are longer, and I'll want the bolts to line up again with the shackle mounts, etc...)

THEN - I can get the new (LONGER) shackles on (Because I lifted the rear enough so the bolts will once again line up....)

And I can use the jack to maneuver the AXLE up/down...to match the shackle mounts more closely/slide the bolts through.

You can get the BL anywhere, ALL of them are made by Performance Accessories...and then sold as who ever's...

The easiest is probably at www.4x4parts.com

Its the ONLY 2" BL for the Xterra...so its hard to get the wrong one. laugh

http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/shop...e8757b1bfd40c2b

I got the Lift Liners (Lift Lips) too...coves the gaps.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#432576 - 01/02/07 06:40 PM Re: Lift kit Question.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:

www.4x4parts.com has one that length too I hear, with a cross brace (Stronger design...), but they are notorius for SAYING they have it...and then shipping something else....etc.

I ordered my set about a month ago, and 2 days later the UPS man showed up with the shackles, no problems.

#432577 - 01/02/07 06:55 PM Re: Lift kit Question.
TJ Offline

Did you measure the shackles to see if they were 6" eye to eye?

laugh

A few found the shackles were closer to 5" long.(Center of eye to center of eye...)

So they show up...that's not the problem...its if they are the right part.

laugh

#432578 - 01/02/07 07:04 PM Re: Lift kit Question.
Anonymous
Unregistered

sure did, i actually had a little over 6.5 inches between the center of each eye. Total length of the shackle was 8".

#432579 - 01/02/07 07:31 PM Re: Lift kit Question.
TJ Offline

Yeah - those are the right ones. (The eye to eye is the important #...)

laugh

Some people ordered those...but got the shorter ones, etc.

The AC ones are better than the Calmini ones, as they have that cross brace....(For an extra $15 or so...) so if you get the right ones, you are golden.

laugh

#432580 - 01/02/07 07:48 PM Re: Lift kit Question.
Anonymous
Unregistered

So what I am getting is to order everything made by AC. Correct?

#432581 - 01/02/07 08:35 PM Re: Lift kit Question.
Anonymous
Unregistered

This one is for you TJ... what do you mean by pipes on the frame horn? Is it possible to raise the bumpers without homemade brackets. I really don't want a ghetto gap, but have no clue where to get metal squares for brackets that will work to raise it up.

Thanks

Reedus

#432582 - 02/02/07 06:43 AM Re: Lift kit Question.
TJ Offline

Home Depot for example?

laugh

All you are doing is bolting the pipes to the Frame horn, and then the bumper to the pipes, instead of the frame horn.

There's a thread on this somewhere...a search might find it...I'm on the way to the hospital for the weekend for my wife...so I don't have time to look....but its here somewhere.

laugh

(Yeah - the BL, etc...can all be ordered from AC)

#432583 - 02/02/07 08:09 AM Re: Lift kit Question.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by HOCKEYSTOP:
So first off you don't have to be an A$$. People post hear for advice. All I wanted to get was someones oppinion on what they thought was a good way to go. This is what I have done so far. Cranked up the front end and put on larger off road tires 265/70/16 mud tires with 16" all black steel wheels that have a slight offset to them. The CRAPY stock running/step boards were tossed. I trimed all the plastic I could and I still get a slight rubbing when I turn realy sharp. I am installing a set of Calmini sliders tomorrow. When I posted That I didn't do hard off road stuff that didn't mean I wouldn't do it at some point. All I want to do is get rid of the tire rub and be able to go into harder spots if I want to. So anyone who could give me some advice without an atitude would be great.
If you would have explained yourself and current set-up to begin with, my responese may have been different....or maybe not.

#432584 - 02/02/07 09:54 AM Re: Lift kit Question.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I orderd my shackles today from AC. I will be ordering the BL in about 3 weeks. I will post pics when I am done. Thanks a ton to everybody for all the help. [ThumbsUp] [drink] [ThumbsUp]

#432585 - 02/02/07 10:36 AM Re: Lift kit Question.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Reedus:
This one is for you TJ... what do you mean by pipes on the frame horn? Is it possible to raise the bumpers without homemade brackets. I really don't want a ghetto gap, but have no clue where to get metal squares for brackets that will work to raise it up.

Thanks

Reedus
You can do it one of 2 ways:

Quote:
Originally posted by geo:

Quote:
Originally posted by lykofos:
I got all of my equipment to raise the front bumper at Lowes Hardware. Just used 4, 2" pipe fittings to raise it (two on each side), w/ longer bolts. It's been raised like this for 1+ years and there have been no problems. Solid as a rock.

The pipe fittings were: Black 3/4 x 2.0" - $0.76 a piece
Bolts were: M8-1.25x70 - $2.26 a piece
Washers/nuts were: M8-1.25 - $1.64 a piece

[b]Before

[img]http://www.lykofos.com/xterra/bl/IMG_5240[/img]

After
[img]http://www.lykofos.com/xterra/bl/IMG_5255[/img][/b]

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal