2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#432675 - 06/05/02 09:58 AM more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
A Frontier (running 31's I believe) killed two of the EOE center links (at the same time) this weekend at
the Nissan Net event in Kentucky.

They were going up a muddy strail hill and killed them near the top.

Later in the day the same person killed two more links (stock ones) on another trail....

#432676 - 06/05/02 10:29 AM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
Carlton please let everyone know ALL the details...you are missing AT LEAST ONE important one and that is his centerlink was completely shot and he knew that beforehand. :rolleyes: The preliminary carnage total for the weekend was 21 trucks, 12 parts damaged/destroyed including a Sway away torsion bar.

Things do break, as you know he broke stock ones that weekend as well...I still have the prototype tie rod adjusters(the new ones are even stronger) on my truck and you know I 4 Wheel my truck like its rented.
EOE...Opening Soon!

#432677 - 06/05/02 10:37 AM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FSRBIKER:
Carlton please let everyone know ALL the details...you are missing AT LEAST ONE important one and that is his centerlink was completely shot and he knew that beforehand. :rolleyes: The preliminary carnage total for the weekend was 21 trucks, 12 parts damaged/destroyed including a Sway away torsion bar.

Things do break, as you know he broke stock ones that weekend as well...I still have the prototype tie rod adjusters(the new ones are even stronger) on my truck and you know I 4 Wheel my truck like its rented.
Sorry about that..

Pika blew up a auto hub
MVM killed a Sway A Way Torsion Bar
And it was Gator that nuked the tie rods (I did not see his center link)

What other parts were destroyed?

I crunched the back plastic part of the bumper (but that does not count smile )

BTW.. how is your diff feeling?? frown

#432678 - 06/05/02 10:54 AM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Pikachu's always hosing those auto hubs... Why not just replace 'em with the Warns? laugh

There's been an awful lot of talk of broken centerlinks and/or tie rods... So far they're all on lifted Xterras with aftermarket control arms installed.

I plan on lifting the X in the front a touch more with the SAW t-bars, but not so much that I'll need new control arms - they sound like they're more trouble than they're worth, unless you really need that extra lift (and hence the correction).

I'm sure Paulw can relate...

#432679 - 06/05/02 11:33 AM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
BoarderPhreak Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertRAT:
Border, it's not really the A arms causing things to break, it's the angles that amount of lift is creating combined with CL's that wear out very quickly that cause tierods to break.
Right... I meant lifting the truck to the point where you need control arms for strength/correction, ball joints, tie rods, etc... I don't off-road that much so far in the X, and I use it more for daily driving and road trips. I'm just saying... Hearing about the issues of pushing the X to it's (current) limits is setting a pretty good limit to the mods I'm going to do myself, in my mind...

But in these cases, yeah... We're definitely seeing limits of what the X can take. Now the trick is coming up with a solution to harden the weak link(s) or replacing everything altogether (something I don't think many of us are willing to do - yet). Of course, once this weak link is fixed, there will be another one up the line... Heh. That's the way it goes. smile

#432680 - 06/05/02 11:58 AM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:

There's been an awful lot of talk of broken centerlinks and/or tie rods... So far they're all on lifted Xterras with aftermarket control arms installed.
Poll..

OF those of you that broke the tie rods.. Are you using the A/C arms or the Calmini arms?

#432681 - 06/05/02 12:02 PM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
What about SLR?

#432682 - 06/05/02 12:05 PM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
Spencer Low Racing Offline

Loc: Parker
Since on the topic of tie rod adjusters..

SLR presents the first properly built tie rod adjusters. Machined from 4130 material and heat treated to c34 Rockwell. These will be the last set of tie rod adjusters you will ever have to buy. These adjusters will replace your weak OE adjusters, and thread into you OE tie rod ends. CNC machined with ½” OR 13mm flats for ease of adjustment. “SLR” engraved into the CNC program for thoroughly tested pride. $75.00/pair with all necessary hardware. Please contact info@spencerlowracing.com or call 928.667.4757 for more information/details.

#432683 - 06/05/02 12:06 PM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
wilburburns Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky
The brand of A-Arm does not make a difference. Because they all do the same thing. They all change teh angle of the Tie-Rods. The angle change is what increases torque on the CL and causes it to fail quicker...

Please don't turn this thread into another heated rant about which brand of Lift is better. They all suck when you factor in increased wear on steering components.

Cliff
NOR Admin

#432684 - 06/05/02 12:18 PM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by wilburburns:
The brand of A-Arm does not make a difference. Because they all do the same thing. They all change teh angle of the Tie-Rods. The angle change is what increases torque on the CL and causes it to fail quicker...

Please don't turn this thread into another heated rant about which brand of Lift is better. They all suck when you factor in increased wear on steering components.

Cliff
IF the arms are too long then you will have to make adjustments by cranking up the T bars to far to compensate for the longer arms. I know for a fact that some of the A arms from AC are too long.

With the t-bars maxed out then you have too much angle on the tie rods thus premature failure..

#432685 - 06/05/02 12:19 PM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
What is the exact typical situation that the tie rods fail ? As in ; 4wd engaged ? Extreme articulation? What were you doing ? What have been the circumstances that lead to failure.

Boarder I don't know if you should feel deterred in doing a lift due to these failures of you don't intend on putting your truck in the same position that others who have perhaps been more extreme have.

#432686 - 06/05/02 12:32 PM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
wilburburns Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:
Quote:
[b]The brand of A-Arm does not make a difference. Because they all do the same thing. They all change teh angle of the Tie-Rods. The angle change is what increases torque on the CL and causes it to fail quicker...

Cliff
IF the arms are too long then you will have to make adjustments by cranking up the T bars to far to compensate for the longer arms. I know for a fact that some of the A arms from AC are too long.[/b]
Carlton, I know where you are going with this and I'm not here to argue with you about it..We talked a little about it this weekend. :p

What I am saying is that every a-arm design is fundamentally the same. It is a T-bar lift, which allows for more wheel travel. This allows the angle of the Tie-rods to increase the twisting force on the CL. When the CL begins to weaken and wobble easily, then then Tie-rods will bend.

It is a poor design by Nissan, and the weaknesses are magnified by lifting the truck. That's just the facts.

Cliff
NOR Admin

#432687 - 06/05/02 12:36 PM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
wilburburns Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Spencer Low Racing:
Since on the topic of tie rod adjusters..

SLR presents the first properly built tie rod adjusters. Machined from 4130 material and heat treated to c34 Rockwell. These will be the last set of tie rod adjusters you will ever have to buy. These adjusters will replace your weak OE adjusters, and thread into you OE tie rod ends. CNC machined with ½” OR 13mm flats for ease of adjustment. “SLR” engraved into the CNC program for thoroughly tested pride. $75.00/pair with all necessary hardware. Please contact info@spencerlowracing.com or call 928.667.4757 for more information/details.

SLR, Just out of curiousity, what makes these any better than the EOE Tie-rods? Are you going to guarantee and warranty unconditionally for life against breakage or bending? I'm just wondering. Because like Todd and Myself have said, parts are going to break. Tie-Rods are going to bend if the CL becomes badly worn and is twisting in the wrong way causing binding of the Tie-Rod Ends. While I am not doubting the strength of your new adjusters, I am doubting that they are the last set ever needed to buy, unless you unconditionally warranty them.

Cliff
NOR Admin

#432688 - 06/05/02 12:40 PM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
wilburburns Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
What is the exact typical situation that the tie rods fail ? As in ; 4wd engaged ? Extreme articulation? What were you doing ? What have been the circumstances that lead to failure.

Boarder I don't know if you should feel deterred in doing a lift due to these failures of you don't intend on putting your truck in the same position that others who have perhaps been more extreme have.
The situation that started this thread was as follows...

Steep muddy/wet hillclimb. He was near the top and started bouncing. He also had to turn right at the top. The Bouncing combined with the turning is what destroyed the EOE Tie-Rod Adjusters.

Let's not forget that his CL was admittedly bad when he tried all this. Which allowed movement out of spec for the Tie-rod ends and adjusters.

Cliff
NOR Admin

#432689 - 06/05/02 12:57 PM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
You are right on Cliff. That is exactly the problem. I have not trashed my tie rods yet, because I watch my POS center link, and replace it. I can't wait for some of these steering systems to become available. Hopefully we will have a good cure for all these problems.

#432690 - 06/05/02 01:03 PM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:

What I am saying is that every a-arm design is fundamentally the same. It is a T-bar lift, which allows for more wheel travel. This allows the angle of the Tie-rods to increase the twisting force on the CL. When the CL begins to weaken and wobble easily, then then Tie-rods will bend.

Cliff
I fully agree with you on that point.. What I was getting at is that (from what I have seen) the AC arms seem to require more lift from the torsion bars to get it into spec. Because of this it would seem that the AC arm would lend to the breaking of the tie rod center link more so than the Calmini arm. What do you think?

#432691 - 06/05/02 01:09 PM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertRAT:
[QB

CM, seems you are just trying to start crap.

[/QB]
More curiousity than anything.. And if it is shown that it does occur more with the AC arms I would not consider that useless infomation ("or trying to start crap")

So back to the question... for those of you that have broken you center rods on your end links.. which lift are you running?

#432692 - 06/05/02 01:12 PM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
BoarderPhreak Offline

What Carlton is talking about, re:control arms being too long and adjusting the t-bars to compensate, etc. is what happened with Paulw's Xterra, if I'm not mistaken. He had Nissan Mike's arms though and he was having issues. Crank the t-bars to compensate, and the down travel was shot. Then the alignment on top of that...

Socalpunx - I know, I'm just waiting for this dust to settle before I go down this road. wink

#432693 - 06/05/02 01:29 PM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#432694 - 06/05/02 01:41 PM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
Carlton McMillan Offline

from the video it does not look as if he was bouncing too much.. Perhaps it looked worse at the top.

#432695 - 06/05/02 01:45 PM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
dez Offline

In response to Cliff's post:

SLR, Just out of curiousity, what makes these any better than the EOE Tie-rods?

Proper material & proper heat treating. To my knowledge, EOE tie rods are made from stainless material. I don't know which grade EOE is using. But I do know that 40 series steel is a government grade aerospace alloy. Stainless is great for polishing.

----

EOE: Please state what grade of stainless material you are using. Is its tensile strength 76,000 or 7,600?? Is that a tested EOE tie rod adjuster or the tensile strength of the raw material?

----

How many people use stainless bolts?? I do know that 4130 c34, which is what SLR uses for our tie rod adjusters, has a tensile strength of 125,000.

"Are you going to guarantee and warranty unconditionally for life against breakage or bending? "

It sounds like you answered your own question here.

"Because like Todd and Myself have said, parts are going to break. Tie-Rods are going to bend if the CL becomes badly worn and is twisting in the wrong way causing binding of the Tie-Rod Ends."

Cliff, it really depends on the situation. If you run all of SLR's steering components, I have no problem warrantying my steering components against any manufacturing or material flaws. Wear points are wear points on SLR's steering system.

I can't break the parts, so I would love to have a customer test and evaluate my parts. (note: I am not requesting anyone to put themselves in a dangerous situation to try to break my parts).

#432696 - 06/05/02 01:58 PM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
wilburburns Offline

He was bouncing from the angle where I was. Bouncing and cutting to the right when they let go. frown

Cliff
NOR Admin

#432697 - 06/05/02 02:04 PM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
wilburburns Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by dez:
In response to Cliff's post:

[b]SLR, Just out of curiousity, what makes these any better than the EOE Tie-rods?

Proper material & proper heat treating. To my knowledge, EOE tie rods are made from stainless material. I don't know which grade EOE is using. But I do know that 40 series steel is a government grade aerospace alloy. Stainless is great for polishing.

----

EOE: Please state what grade of stainless material you are using. Is its tensile strength 76,000 or 7,600?? Is that a tested EOE tie rod adjuster or the tensile strength of the raw material?

----

How many people use stainless bolts?? I do know that 4130 c34, which is what SLR uses for our tie rod adjusters, has a tensile strength of 125,000.

"Are you going to guarantee and warranty unconditionally for life against breakage or bending? "

It sounds like you answered your own question here.

"Because like Todd and Myself have said, parts are going to break. Tie-Rods are going to bend if the CL becomes badly worn and is twisting in the wrong way causing binding of the Tie-Rod Ends."

Cliff, it really depends on the situation. If you run all of SLR's steering components, I have no problem warrantying my steering components against any manufacturing or material flaws. Wear points are wear points on SLR's steering system.

I can't break the parts, so I would love to have a customer test and evaluate my parts. (note: I am not requesting anyone to put themselves in a dangerous situation to try to break my parts).[/b]
Dez, a very good and acceptable response. Like I posted earlier, I would rather not have this thread turn into a pissing contest about who's stuff is better. However, you have made great points about materials. I do not know exact info about the EOE Stuff, so I won't begin to compare with my limited knowledge.

So, now when will we see this new steering setup. While I still have stock components in the front end, I don't want to start the cycle of breaking steering components.

Although, an unconditional guarantee/warranty would be great... [Smoking]

Cliff
NOR Admin

#432698 - 06/05/02 02:39 PM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
What have been the circumstances that lead to failure.
Bad driving habits.

#432699 - 06/05/02 02:42 PM Re: more EOE center links die at Nissan Net.. Story at 10
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
SLR, Just out of curiousity, what makes these any better than the EOE Tie-rods?
A lot more burly material for one thing. Heat treating for another.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal