shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#433131 - 08/02/01 10:14 AM SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
Philosopher Offline

#433132 - 08/02/01 11:18 AM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Kind of ironic, I was thinking about these puppies the other day. Between the torsion bar adjustment and these - just enough lift for larger tires, and restores the original X stance.

Glad they're looking good... The install pix are sweet and the raised X looks rather intimidating!

------------------
2001 Solar Yellow SE 4x4 V6 5spd

#433133 - 08/02/01 04:38 PM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
gothamist Offline

Loc: Virginia
Hehehe, yes my X does look a little more manly now (not that it needed help )

Seriously, getting back to stock attitude made a rather large difference for my visibility--I noticed on our night run that I could see rocks a good 6" closer to the truck before they disappeared under the hood.

The only real complaint I've got is the powder coating is not the strongest stuff in the world, Philosopher and I flaked a bit of it off installing them...the shackles are also quite noticeable (since they are bright silver), which seems needlessly flashy to me. When the time comes I'll probably just Rustoleum black them...

------------------
gothamist -- MAXC member
http://www.beatdriven.com/xterra.html

#433134 - 08/02/01 04:52 PM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
UTJMAC Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Can anyone explain the negative implications of a shackle lift? Im sure this put more stress on something or everyone would do it? Especially for the price! Thanks in advance for the responses!
John

------------------

#433135 - 09/02/01 04:52 AM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
X_Jeeper Offline

Loc: Averill Park, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by gothamist:

Seriously, getting back to stock attitude made a rather large difference for my visibility--I noticed on our night run that I could see rocks a good 6" closer to the truck before they disappeared under the hood.

If there's that much difference you should have your headlights readjusted to make sure they are pointing where they should.

------------------
Gary

#433136 - 09/02/01 10:33 AM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
Philosopher Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by UTJMAC:
Can anyone explain the negative implications of a shackle lift? Im sure this put more stress on something or everyone would do it? Especially for the price! Thanks in advance for the responses!
John

It's all in the ITW thread.

Simply put, more than a couple inches of shackle lift makes the vehicle more unsteady, and can result in bad handling under emergency manuevers, which we tested and were happy with the results - namely, the truck acted them same as it did without the shackles.

------------------
philosopher@angelfire.com

Philosopher's Xterra

Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club

#433137 - 09/02/01 09:17 PM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
blenderhead Offline

Loc: Grovetown, GA, USA
I cranked my torsion bars to get rid of the stock attitude.......

I personally prefer a leveled off Xterra.

Good info though, for future lifts.

------------------

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1479294&a=11140594&p=38897161&Sequence=0&res=high

Greg Moultrie
00 Aztec Red XE 3-pak
4x4 Auto

Greg Moultrie
00 Aztec Red XE 3-pak
4x4 Auto

#433138 - 28/02/01 03:28 PM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
KillerX Offline

Loc: Maryland
I just checked the price of these puppies on SLR's web page and they're now listed at $50/pair. The new price is listed as "all necessary installation items included". Makes life easier, but they're still making a couple bucks more on each set than they were before they had them bundled.

------------------
2000 Silver Ice SE 4X4 Auto
MAXC member (killerx_xoc)
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1406935&a=10805120

#433139 - 03/03/01 12:30 AM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
KCX Offline

Loc: Kansas
Do you have to get longer shocks if you add the taller shackles and front torsion lift?

------------------
Join the Heartland Xterra Owners Club!
www.hxoc.net

[This message has been edited by XTERRA4EVER (edited 03-03-2001).]

#433140 - 03/03/01 06:09 AM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
wbroadus Offline

Loc: lexington park, md, usa
Replacing the stock shocks in the rear (and removing your swaybar) will allow you to take full advantage of the suspension articulation. If you add the SLR shackles then you have even more articulation potential and retaining the stock shocks will really limit you taking advantage of the additional lift. I believe the Rancho RS9000s have an additional 2" of travel compared to the stock shocks.

I have the Ranchos and the SLRs and I am very pleased with the results!

------------------
2000 White XE 5spd
Member-MAXC

#433141 - 03/03/01 09:48 AM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
BTW.

I put install instructions for the shackles on my web page under "Mods".

------------------
Join the Xterra Offroad Webring

2000 Aztec Red 4x4 V-6 XE-3Pak
www.xterra4x4.com

#433142 - 08/03/01 12:13 PM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
number41 Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
I got my set last night!

They will probably go on next week when I install my new Bilstiens, 15" rims and 31" BFGs

WOOOHOO!

------------------
Xavier
"I said, Reading is GOOD, can we start the story now?" smile

Small hands in third world countries make quality products.

#433143 - 17/03/01 07:57 PM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
AlohaXterra Offline

Loc: Maui, Hawaii
I have a question about these shackles, I'm about to install...I read somewhere in a thread that installing these 1 1/2 to 2 inch shackles will kill my springs within the year, is this true?? and why? I want to put on some BF muds 32's and I know I need the additional clearance.. Thanks

------------------

#433144 - 17/03/01 08:32 PM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Put my 2" shackles in today! I also adjusted the torsion bars for an extra 3/4" and my truck sits really nice. I highly recommend this upgrade.

------------------
ChuckH
2000 SE 4x4, Aztec Red

#433145 - 17/03/01 08:41 PM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
gothamist Offline

I can't speak as to the spring wear...I could swear I just started noticing mine sagging, but I hardly think it's due to the month and a half I've had the SLR shackles installed. Anyway, I just wanted to say--you don't need shackles to clear 32" BFG MT's...MT, FSRBiker, Synchro, and I believe Mosi (among others) all ran/run those tires without the extended shackles with little/no problems.

Nonetheless I see no reason not to do this mod, so long as you don't mind having a raked X again.

Thinking about it, I've heard that inverting the arch of a leaf-spring is what really stresses/sags them, and it's probably easier to do that if you do have the shackles installed. Either way the anecdotal evidence suggest that if you offroad w/ more than about 100 pounds of stuff in the back of your X, your springs probably will need replacing at some point before your warranty is up. Me? I'm probably just going to wait and replace mine w/ the SLR/National springs...

------------------
Vikram/gothamist -- MAXC member
http://www.4x4LO.com

#433146 - 19/03/01 01:36 PM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
If I'm not mistaken, with some 32" tires, people were noticing a slight hit on full compression, one person mentioned the gas filler tube.

With the 2" shackles, this problem should be eliminated, but people are still saying that there's some rubbing going on.

Besides, I like the rake of the truck. Like women, it looks good ass-in-the-air.

/me ducks for cover.

------------------
2001 Solar Yellow SE 4x4 V6 5spd

[This message has been edited by BoarderPhreak (edited 04-03-2001).]

#433147 - 19/03/01 03:16 PM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
number41 Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:

Besides, I like the rake of the truck. Like women, it looks good ass-in-the-air.

"Face down ass up, thats the way we like to F---!"

Man BP, that was funny.

------------------
Xavier
"I invented electricity. Benjamin Franklin is the devil" smile

Small hands in third world countries make quality products.

#433148 - 19/03/01 03:38 PM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
gothamist Offline

Just an FYI, I thought the 2" shackles would be enough to eliminate rubbing with my Super Swampers (which are 32.5" tall, basically 33's), but it's not--when I stuff, especially on the passenger side, they rub on the edges of the wheelwell a bit, and all over that fuel line cover. You hear a distinctive thunk as each lug passes by (and rubs) the plastic. Oh well. :-|

------------------

#433149 - 03/04/01 02:25 PM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
If I'm not mistaken, with some 32" tires, people were noticing a slight hit on full compression, one person mentioned the gas filler tube.

With the 2" shackles, this problem should be eliminated.

unfortunately, not quite - my 32's (BFG AT's) barely rubbed on the fuel filler cover thing. not bad, but it did rub...fyi.

Conditions-
32" Tires
2" SLR shackles
Rancho 9116's set on '5'

------------------
Cheers!,
-john aka areuin
Silver Ice, '00 XE, 3-pk, 32" BFGs, bad morning hair

#433150 - 03/04/01 05:12 PM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
wbroadus Offline

Loc: lexington park, md, usa
My 32" TSLs (32.1" tall) have not produced any signs of rubbing in the rear with the SLR shackles / Rancho mix. My tires are 32x10.5s so the extra width of the SSRs/ATs seems to be the ultimate culprit.

------------------
2000 White XE 5spd
Member-MAXC

[This message has been edited by wbroadus (edited 04-03-2001).]

#433151 - 08/04/01 11:03 PM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Just finished installing my SLR 2" shackles and adjusting the torsion bars. I like it alot.

The 2nd generation shackles have been re-designed to eliminate any play that was mentioned in earlier posts. No more having to crush them down.

------------------
My wife calls it the "Intrepid Bee", I call it "Tonka".
craigs-tonka@home.com

#433152 - 09/04/01 07:11 AM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
I notice that many of you are using the shackles to help "return the rear to factory height"

I wonder how long it will take for the factory springs that you are using to completely lose their arch now that you are changing the geometry of the spring.

Shackles (to me) are nothing more than cheap, quick and more importantly temporary fixes to the problem of crappy OEM springs. The real cure is the replacement spring pack.

just my .02

------------------
2000 Xterra White
4x4 3pack w/xtras smile
SWXC Member# 2
TMTC (Texas Motorized Trails Coalition)Member # 653
KD5MQO

Carlton_McMillan@swxc.org
www.swxc.org

#433153 - 09/04/01 08:51 AM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:
Shackles (to me) are nothing more than cheap, quick and more importantly temporary fixes to the problem of crappy OEM springs. The real cure is the replacement spring pack.

agreed, that is why philosopher and I both had Nissan replace our spring packs under warranty before putting the shackles on, his origianl spring pack was saggng really bad and mine were getting there. we shall see how long this set lasts with the added weight of my rear bumper. i am guessing that i will end up going with a set of SLR springs here sometime in the next 12 months.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)
synchro@xterraoffroad.com
2000 Xterra SE, Alpine Green, 4x4, ARB, 32" BFG MTs

[This message has been edited by Synchro (edited 04-09-2001).]

#433154 - 09/04/01 08:58 AM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:

Agreed. Eventually I will be going with the SLR spring packs, they seem to be getting really good reviews. I don't have the money for those now though, and want to run 32's without rubbing. My X is still under two months old, so my springs are still in good shape, but I can easily see how they'll flatten more easily due to the changed geometry. If it buys you time to save up for good springs, I think the $40 for the shackles is worth it. I understand that the SLR springs increase ride height even more than the shackles. What are people doing for the front end to balance out the spring packs? That seems like a lot of torsion lift, and I would not feel comfortable cranking it up that much (if it even would go that far).

------------------
Chris McCracken
"Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins, for they are subtle and quick to anger."
Join the Heartland Xterra Owners Club www.hxoc.net

[This message has been edited by Caver-X (edited 04-09-2001).]

#433155 - 09/04/01 09:21 AM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
gothamist Offline

Carlton, I disagree. I would say shackles are a far superior option than the add-a-leaf route many others (including you, correct?) have gone.

Also, has been mentioned, these do not eliminate rubbing w/ 32's...which should be pretty obvious considering 31's rub stock.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal