2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#433156 - 09/04/01 09:42 AM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Quote:
Originally posted by gothamist:
Also, has been mentioned, these do not eliminate rubbing w/ 32's...which should be pretty obvious considering 31's rub stock.

When I said rubbing, I was referring to the fuel filler neck. That's not an easily modifiable area. Of course, they will still rub on the fenders, but that takes a few minutes with a sabre saw to fix. Also, my understanding of the SLR spring packs are that they are not simply an "add-a-leaf" like many products out there, but are designed from the ground up for the purpose they are used for. When you use the shackles, you are using the factory springs in a configuration that they were not designed for, causing extra stress (wear?) on the springs. The shackles are a workaround (albeit a fairly good quality one), whereas the spring paks are meant to be a permenant solution. Just my $0.02
~Chris

------------------
"Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins, for they are subtle and quick to anger."
Join the Heartland Xterra Owners Club at www.hxoc.net

#433157 - 09/04/01 10:18 AM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
gothamist Offline

Loc: Virginia
I wasn't talking about the SLR spring packs...those are indeed a complete replacement but the only two X's I know of running them right now are SLR's and Pikachu's.

When I said rubbing I was talking about the fuel line cover in the passenger rear wheelwell. You will rub that with 31's, I've heard that some people rub it stock once they remove the rear swaybar. That's the thing I rub on the worst with my 32's (which are bigger than most other 32's.) (And yes, I have shackles...look at the earlier posts in this thread.)

------------------
Vikram/gothamist -- MAXC member
http://www.4x4LO.com

#433158 - 09/04/01 01:54 PM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Quote:
Originally posted by gothamist:
I would say shackles are a far superior option than the add-a-leaf route many others (including you, correct?) have gone.

Qualify your opinion please.

The add-a-leaf actually support the spring.

The shackle does nothing more than change the mounting location of the spring.. it offers no support on an already weak spring.

------------------
2000 Xterra White
4x4 3pack w/xtras smile
SWXC Member# 2
TMTC (Texas Motorized Trails Coalition)Member # 653
KD5MQO

Carlton_McMillan@swxc.org
www.swxc.org

#433159 - 23/04/01 07:47 PM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
Swampthing Offline

Loc: College Station TX USA
They look good to me. Cant wait to get em.

------------------

#433160 - 23/04/01 07:54 PM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
gothamist Offline

Loc: Virginia
Wow, I missed the fact Carlton had posted back in this thread a while ago.

What I meant was that I think, if someone is simply looking for increased ride height and a touch more suspension travel, shackles are a better way to go. Yes AAL's add support for the spring pack, but honestly I don't mind the ride my truck has (in the back...the front still sucks.) I wouldn't want to stiffen it up anymore than it already is (w/ shocks on 4.)

The installation is also easier with shackles, and can be removed easier/quicker if someone wishes to ditch them.

Finally, for the time being, shackles are 1/3 the cost of the AAL setup.

------------------
Vikram/gothamist -- MAXC member
http://www.4x4LO.com

#433161 - 23/04/01 07:54 PM Re: SLR 2" Shackles Install & Review - Return to Stock Attitude
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
One thing I'm curious about on the SLR spring packs is they're rated quite differently than the stock spring pack. The stock pack is rated at 120lbs. per square inch whereas the SLR pack is rated at 90lbs. per square inch.

How does this change on-road feel?

------------------

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal