2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#433712 - 20/11/04 03:16 PM SLR AAL 3 Pack
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm confused here gentlemen.

I want to lift the X, but don't have a lot to spend.

I've read here that the SLR aal 3 pack (which is easier to install) yields 3" of lift in the rear. Would I then need to purchase UCAs (expensive for me right now) for the for the front or would a tbar crank suffice?

If I'm not mistaken the most(safest)lift I can get from cranking the tbars is 1.5. if so then I'd be better of with the Calmini aal two pack and a crank?

TIA

-----------------------------------------------
Camp life is just one canned thing after another.

#433713 - 20/11/04 03:32 PM Re: SLR AAL 3 Pack
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Yeah, your ass would be too high.

If you lift the rear 3" and the front 1.5"...plus the stock balance is ass up somewhat to start with...not good balance.

Options:

You can get a 1.5" AAL, and crank the T's

You can get shackles for a 3" lift, and crank the T's (A shackle for a 3" lift goes with a 1.5" AAL to add up to a total of 3"...so the shackle itself just raises the rear by 1.5"...same as the front)

Details:

If you crank up the front, you'll need an alignment....for all options.

The shackles are about $50 total, the T crank is free, plus an alignment....you get a 1.5" lift for about $50 in parts. (SLR has them too, but a bit more $)

Shackles articulate better than AAL's, but are slightly less stable on road. (Slightly) Shackles don't change the carrying capacity, you just hang higher.

1.5" AAL's (Calmini for example) are about $150 total...you get 1.5" of lift for about $150 in parts. (SLR versions of 1.5" AAL are available too...I think the 3 pack is actually 1/2 of the 3" lift, and gives 1.5" after going to 2" and settling a 1/2")

The AAL's don't flex as well as shackles, but are a bit more stable on road, and increase the carrying capacity somewhat as well (More spring)

If you do the shackle/AAL upgrade path, you can just add one or the other as you go, and keep them, w/o having to replace rear parts when you get to the front end.

Any of the above will work, and people have various versions.

Think about your time frame for your upgrade path, and pick the options that seem best for you.

laugh

Hope that helps!

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#433714 - 20/11/04 04:59 PM Re: SLR AAL 3 Pack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks a lot TJ this really helps clarify my choices.

BTW - I'd like to meet you and the guys from NJAX sometime, I'm still a newbie when it comes to offroading and new to NJ. I'm close by in Plainsboro, NJ.
I see that the NJAX site has been down for sometime?

--------------------------------------------
"Here's to you, and here's to me; but as you're not here, here's two to me".

#433715 - 21/11/04 09:26 AM Re: SLR AAL 3 Pack
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Galcial -

I'm in Lawrenceville...not too far from you...we just got together in Hamilton last Friday night, also not too far from you...We have some runs coming up, and the Pine Barrens are not too far, and pretty good for a newbie to wet his teeth on...

On XOC we have been using the Regional Forum - New Jersey Area section to communicate....post there to say hi to every one....that's the initiation, the rest is just showing up.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#433716 - 30/11/04 05:38 PM Re: SLR AAL 3 Pack
spooky1 Offline

Loc: Maricopa, AZ
The SLR 3pack AAL's only give you an inch and a half of lift in the rear. If you need more than that then you need to use a shackle also. I ran with just the AAL's and a T-bar crank for a little over a year and did not add shackles until I got the UCA's this past Summer. Hope this helps.

"Duct tape is like the Force: It has a dark side and a light side - and it holds the universe together."

#433717 - 09/12/04 02:46 PM Re: SLR AAL 3 Pack
BoneCrusher Offline

Loc: In a Bar near YOU!
actually spooky the all from SLR has 1.5 AND 3 inch options

Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

99% of democrats give the rest a bad name

Liberals are constantly Inflaming the culture war. They seem to forget which side has all the guns.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal