shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#434244 - 07/09/03 07:57 PM Calmini steering ball joint problem
Bowski Offline

Loc: Great Lakes, IL
I have the calmini ss on my x. I feel a clunk when turning at low speeds. While taking a look under the front end today i noticed that both the ball joints on the calmini center link had grease coming out of them. I tightned these things down correctly when I put it on. I notice that they have a zerk. Is this common for them to do that and should i just put more grease in them? If they are bad, then i'm pretty sure that they are causing my steering clunk. Whats the part number if they are bad, so i can replace them. thanks

#434245 - 07/09/03 08:31 PM Re: Calmini steering ball joint problem
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yes, the grease will come out and you need to put some in once in awhile since they aren't really sealed. I do mine about once a month. More than likely your clunking is coming from the idler arm though. As the finish wears it needs to be tightened. I'm not sure what the torque should be, but I tightened mine once because it was noticeably loose. After a year and nearly 30K miles I have yet to experience a problem with my steering system.

#434246 - 07/09/03 09:17 PM Re: Calmini steering ball joint problem
Bowski Offline

Loc: Great Lakes, IL
cool! I saw the zerk and was hoping that was the case. I'll check the idler arm again. I've got the non powedercoated version so hopefully its just a little loose. We'll see what happens. Thanks

#434247 - 07/09/03 09:22 PM Re: Calmini steering ball joint problem
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, I have the very last powdercoated system Calmini shipped. I would think that even the nickel plated ones would have some wear and give though so it's worth checking.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal