shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#434288 - 10/11/04 07:45 PM Torsion bar sag
Ruger1022 Offline

Loc: Visalia, CA
Well, it's official. Right side torsion bar has sagged. Nissan says that since they can still crank the left side down to match it, it's not a problem. I say that covering up a problem doesn't mean you made it go away.

So, I have some options...

1. I leave it alone, after all, covered up means I can't see it.

2. I make a big stink at my dealer in an attempt to get them to get me a new torsion bar.

3. I buy the dealerships parts manager's old torsion bars. Then I can install the stronger left side bar on the right side of my X and go from there.

4. I can buy Nissan Motorsport bars .

5. I can buy Calmini bars .

As you can see, I have a few options. I'm still deciding, but so far #4 looks best. Although #3 is tempting for the custom aspect of it. Tempting, but it's still just another Nissan bars, which have already let me down ( literally ). The Calmini bars are also a contender, but they cost more, and only come in that dang blue color.

I'm certainly open to suggestions. Let me hear some thoughts...

MV

#434289 - 10/11/04 08:07 PM Re: Torsion bar sag
Ruger1022 Offline

Forgot to mention, the heating element in our dishwasher just stopped working...

Now I have to explain to my wife why new torsion bars are more important than fixing the dishwasher, thoughts on that would be helpful too.

As it stands, I explained the situation with the X to her, how the right side sags, the side she sits on, how Nissan says its OK, and how this basically equates to Nissan saying "We know we built a vehicle that makes you look fat, but it's not our problem".

Nissan will probably be regretting this shortly after opening tomorrow...

I may get new free bars yet...

MV

#434290 - 10/11/04 08:18 PM Re: Torsion bar sag
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tell the wife that the torsion bar could break. Hey, it's sagging, right? wink

If she doesn't buy that, then umm......run!

Nismo or Calmini, either make a good bar.

I wouldn't get the old stockers from parts managers' rig, unless he labeled which side they came from.

#434291 - 10/11/04 09:12 PM Re: Torsion bar sag
Anonymous
Unregistered

need to know what to do when the dishwasher stops working...?

kick her!

#434292 - 10/11/04 09:27 PM Re: Torsion bar sag
Anonymous
Unregistered

What do you tell a woman with two black eyes?

Nothing!

You already told her twice.

J/k! laugh

#434293 - 11/11/04 07:11 AM Re: Torsion bar sag
Ruger1022 Offline

Yeah the old stock bars are labeled, factory label.

Cyclemut, you may know more info, he says that the bars are different spring rates. Say's the drivers bar is stiffer to compensate for the weight of the driver. Is this true? And if so, by how much?

As for swapping them from left to right, that would also change the direction of torque on the bar. I'm not sure just how I feel about that. Overall I think the aftermarket bars are the way to go.

So, who's changed theirs, and how much work was it? I'm thinking I may just have my alignment shop do it. I'll need them to align it anyway, and the idea of dropping it off in the morning and picking it up after work sounds good. Sounds better than either doing them after work, or on a Sat, and then having to get it alligned. What can I say, I'm lazy...

MV

#434294 - 11/11/04 07:27 AM Re: Torsion bar sag
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would either (a) buy the Calmini bars or (b) if your X is still under warranty to get Nissan to purchase a new bar.

The Calmini bars are a more solid choice though.

#434295 - 11/11/04 08:00 AM Re: Torsion bar sag
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruger1022:
As it stands, I explained the situation with the X to her, how the right side sags, the side she sits on...
MV
Be very careful here. That's right up with the "do these jeans make me look fat" question.

#434296 - 11/11/04 08:18 AM Re: Torsion bar sag
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do NOT switch a t-bar from one side to the other. Once a t-bar has been torque'd in one direction, if you reverse that direction, it WILL fail.

My question is, has it sagged so much that you can no longer crank it again?? All t-bars will sag a little over time, so you crank it, and be done with it. Unless it's dead, it should be able to be cranked again. Yeah, you'll most likely have to reindex it, to allow for more cranking, but that's not a problem, either.

#434297 - 12/11/04 06:31 AM Re: Torsion bar sag
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Damn, the boss says if I'm late for work, he'll fire me...How would we ever pay all our bills if I lose my job!?

I'd better do every thing I can to make sure I'm never late...damn, I hope that damn T-Bar doesn't snap!

smile

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#434298 - 12/11/04 07:37 AM Re: Torsion bar sag
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
My question is, has it sagged so much that you can no longer crank it again?? All t-bars will sag a little over time, so you crank it, and be done with it. Unless it's dead, it should be able to be cranked again. Yeah, you'll most likely have to reindex it, to allow for more cranking, but that's not a problem, either.
I agree with this statement... unless there is proof of failure you can continue to crank the t-bar. This is a normal thing and occurs over time with normal fatigue. Should the t-bars be expected to fatigue, sure.

There is a very well lifted X in our club that is still on stock t-bars. I have Calmini's because I run a bumper. I have to crank mine every 6 months due to sag. Not a big deal. Re-indexing is more work, but again, not a big deal.

Cranking your own t-bars is not difficult. Loosen the top nut and then turn the bolt. MEASURE the frame front/rear/both sides until it is all balanced. Lock the top nut when done.

BEWARE of improperly installing t-bars. The t-bars must be installed so that they are equally inserted front and rear - you DO NOT want one side to have 1/4 threads showing while the other side has 3/4 threads. This will strip the threads rather quickly and at its own will - not good.

#434299 - 12/11/04 08:21 AM Re: Torsion bar sag
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tbars sag on every Nissan I've ever seen over time.

good luck on the dishwasher thing laugh

#434300 - 12/11/04 05:10 PM Re: Torsion bar sag
Ruger1022 Offline

Sorry, I should have clarified. The right side bar sagged, the left seems ok. The dealer was able to crank the left side down far enough to match the right side cranked all the way up, so they feel that there is no problem. I know torsion bars sag over time, but the sudden, rapid onset has my worried.

To be perfectly honest, I believe that there is a problem with the right side bar, I'm not just out to get something free. If the dealer won't step up, or Nissan won't, I'll have to take care of it myself. Which I'll likely do, but I certainly won't be able to check "Excellent" on any surveys...

MV

#434301 - 12/11/04 06:09 PM Re: Torsion bar sag
Anonymous
Unregistered

As soon as you play with them, you void the factory warrenty on the front end suspension. If you are going to do a lift, replace them (as the lift will also void the warrenty) If you are staying stock, leave it alone, as they sag more, the dealer has to "deal" with it, as it is a warrenty issue. If it fails, they replace it.. You monkey with it, and you are on your own.
When you get gas, do the finger-on-hip measurement from side to side.. if it is dropping, send it back to the dealer...

#434302 - 12/11/04 07:19 PM Re: Torsion bar sag
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you play with them, you won't void your warranty.

Instead of lowering the left side, just reindex the right side to go higher. Dealer should have done that instead. Now it will be harder to align, not easier.

Different spring rates for the left and right side? I'm not aware of such a claim, but I'm not an expert in the production spring rates of these t-bars. But I'd have to call 'Bullshit' on that one, personally.

I do know that most t-bars will sag. Sooner or later, that's the only difference. One way I can tell an older D21 or WD21 needs an alignment, look at the gap between the fender and tires, and compare them front to rear. If the front is lower, needs a proper alignment, or the current alignment is a hack job!

Anyway, Calmini or Nismo, either way, you're a winner.

#434303 - 13/11/04 04:03 PM Re: Torsion bar sag
Ruger1022 Offline

Cyclemut, I can't be certain that the spring rates are different, but that's what my dealership's parts manager said. I'm reasonably sure he's not messing with me, he's a bit of an enthusiast, what with his own lifted and otherwise modified X and all. And the Factory bars (his old ones) are specifically labelled "left" and "right". I know that the dealership should have re-indexed them, but they're not all that interested. Perhaps once it has sagged more, and they're unable to level it out any other way?

At this point, I'm really wanting to go with the other bars. It's just that I have to choose.

Calmini.
Plus: good reputation, local
Minus: blue, smaller diameter than other options ( I believe I was told 27mm), out of stock not expected for 2 weeks

Nissan Motorsports from Xterraparts.com
Plus: Nissan approved, largest diameter (27.48mm)
Minus: Shipping $, why are they different from the ones in my dealer's catalog?

Nissan Motorsports from my dealer
Plus: No shipping $, stay on good terms with my dealer (as if they care)
Minus: why are they different from the ones in my dealer's catalog? Roughly 1mm smaller than Xterraparts.com's bars (~26.5mm)

All are about the same in cost.

I'm also thinking of trying to get some "Goodwill" from my dealer. Something along the lines of I buy the bars, they put them in. I figure it's worth a shot. I think I'm going to have my wife express to them her displeasure with the situation, which is considerable (arguably as much or more than my own). What do you think my chances are there?

Thanks for all the input so far, I'll let you know what I decided.

MV

#434304 - 13/11/04 08:06 PM Re: Torsion bar sag
Anonymous
Unregistered

We make the concension once in a while, if the customer buys the parts, we'll put them on. Cheaper for the dealer to pay me my labor vs. paying for the parts.

But it's rare.

If they agree, it'd be a good deal for both. Customer retention should be on their priority list.

#434305 - 14/11/04 07:08 PM Re: Torsion bar sag
Anonymous
Unregistered

cyclemut, i was refering to aftermarket bars voiding the warrenty.. stick with the oem bars and no one is the wiser.. they say calmini on the side, and you can run into problems getting suspension warrenty work on the front end in the future..

#434306 - 14/11/04 07:20 PM Re: Torsion bar sag
Anonymous
Unregistered

We haven't ever had to warranty any suspension stuff for a torsion bar failure. If the torsion bar fails, and it's aftermarket, then the aftermarket maker would be responsible. If the aftermarket bar sags, then the owner is responsible for the adjustment and subsequent alignment.

If the bar fails, and damages any components, then the maker should also be responsible for that damage as well.

Don't overthink it. It's not something to worry about it.

Besides, alignment and tire wear issues are only covered for the first 12 months, 12k miles.

#434307 - 14/11/04 09:32 PM Re: Torsion bar sag
Anonymous
Unregistered

what about ride height?

#434308 - 15/11/04 04:56 AM Re: Torsion bar sag
03SYXPilot Offline

Loc: DE
Quote:
Originally posted by Ruger1022:
The dealer was able to crank the left side down far enough to match the right side cranked all the way up, so they feel that there is no problem. To be perfectly honest, I believe that there is a problem with the right side bar, I'm not just out to get something free. If the dealer won't step up, or Nissan won't, I'll have to take care of it myself. Which I'll likely do, but I certainly won't be able to check "Excellent" on any surveys...

MV
Let me get this straight, the DEALER has one cranked as far as it will allow and the other cranked down to match? That is like putting a 400lb spring on one side and a 200lb spring on the other. Does that not create a handling issue? The DEALER did this? When you crash due to an unbalanced suspension set up, make sure you have the repair order in hand when you file the suit papers.

Now proud owner of a '05 Mazda 3 HB!!

#434309 - 15/11/04 10:56 PM Re: Torsion bar sag
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtopher:
what about ride height?
Only covered for 12/12. Otherwise, it's an alignment adjustment, not to be performed unless an alignment is performed = customer pay.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal