shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#434762 - 03/04/07 03:37 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

But the fact that you are still waiting when there have been others with the same/similar problem that have gotten replacement parts tells me that there is more to the issue.

If the system can survive DBAX ( Click Here for example ) and the system is on another vehicle now still going strong, that says alot.

I am not saying its perfect because I have seen a few fail and others just hammered to HELL that have not, but god you have got to get over it and get a solution. Call em up, find another solution, buy another system or sell the X.

#434763 - 03/04/07 03:40 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

So I think I saw the answer I was looking through all the other talk going on. What I am hearing is that my steering so shot and every time it gets re-aligned it just gets thrown out of alignment very fast. I will buy that, I have had the 3" SL for about a year and a half now and have been through my fair share of wheelin' trips with it. So it is between L&P who seems to be hit or miss on getting an answer and Calmini which I still have not decided if the steering works or not from what I have read. Well, and SLR, but I think I am too poor for that after buying my house. Hmm...such a pickle. It's a no brainer I need it by goneMOAB, what are my best chances?

Thanks!

#434764 - 03/04/07 03:42 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
Alpine, I already found a solution

I got another steering system, after doing the bearing mod which failed. After that, I got fed up with trying to fix what Calmini told me was already fixed.

That doesn't change the fact thatI was outright lied to, and they misrepresented their product.

Nor does it change the fact that Steve changed his story on the Steering system, and deliberately tried to decieve me by coering his ass on their website

However, I still paid $500 for a product, and did not get what Calmini advertised, nor did they remedy the problem.
Calmini has failed to stand up to their own claims
Quote:
Our quality products are designed and manufactured in-house using a craftsman-led approach to modern manufacturing techniques. Our CAD-generated designs, CNC machining, and laser-crafting produce products of the highest possible quality and accuracy of fit. The results are thoroughly engineered products that exceed industry standards in form, fit, and function, thus providing the most durable extreme use products on the market.
The product you use should be the best available. Simply stated: Ours is.
from their mainpage

If people can make heir products better, then their products are not he best their is.
And their product, properly installed and maintained, was not durable.

#434765 - 03/04/07 03:50 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by gtsorbet:
What I am hearing is that my steering so shot and every time it gets re-aligned it just gets thrown out of alignment very fast. I will buy that, I have had the 3" SL for about a year and a half now and have been through my fair share of wheelin' trips with it. So it is between L&P who seems to be hit or miss on getting an answer and Calmini which I still have not decided if the steering works or not from what I have read. Well, and SLR, but I think I am too poor for that after buying my house. Hmm...such a pickle. It's a no brainer I need it by goneMOAB, what are my best chances?

Thanks!
Well, if you think your steering is shot, I'd jack up the front end and see what part is shot, the centerlink, idlerarm, ect. L&P and SLR's parts are interchangeable, so if you need a new CL, you can just buy SLRs and that will fit right in. If your bushing is worn, a stock bushing will work (and is readily availible from Nissan dealerships and NAPA).

From what you posted, you aren't drifting left to right in the lane, you are just pulling to the right - so I do't think it's a shot steering system. BTW - how long have you had the L&P on your X?

#434766 - 03/04/07 04:29 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey GTsorbet, just a quick thought...

Just to rule out other things that could cause popping and what not, it might be worth five minutes to crawl under there and check and tighten things like the sway bar bolts, crossmember bolts, check idler arm and sway bar bushings etc. that can wear or come loose when wheeling.

It'd suck to be driving yourself nuts trying to diagnose and fix one thing only to have part of the problem be something else. Just bringing this up on the off chance that some of the noises might be something else other than the steering and it might make things easier for you.

Hope this helps.

#434767 - 03/04/07 05:33 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the same exact issue with my blue X, SL, BL big tires and stock steering

I don't have the slow steering, but mine pops, creaks and moans while going slowly. I have known for quite some time that it is the ball joints on the centerlink. They sould awful. It needs a new steering system, and I have one sitting in the garage waiting to be installed.

#434768 - 03/04/07 05:50 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Having read through all of the posts, I think I have a few comments.

1) If you're steering's feeling loose and you know it's not the powersteering pump, then it might be worth using this as an opportunity to upgrade. Having the SLR system myself, I can easily state that it's a sweet system and it was like night and day when I drove it for the first time.

2) Calmini products... Like all products, there are going to be those that last a long time, those that last and average amount of time and those that fail for one reason or another. If Jeff got one of the latter, then no matter what his attitude / approach was toward getting a replacement part, it was the manufacturer's responsibility to replace the parts. Even if Jeff were a world-class a-hole on the phone, any company that has to deal with the public has to come to terms with the fact that some people are going to be unhappy when a product fails. So, while some of you are telling Jeff to suck it up and get over it, I'd use the same argument for Calmini - suck it up and understand that it's sometimes just good PR to make an unhappy customer at least neutral, if not happy.

3) On Jeff's ability to follow instructions and appreciate the risks / costs of the hobby we all have. I've known Jeff for just about a year now and, if anything, he's uber-anal about making sure that things are done the right way, using the best information available. So, while I would expect that I could make a mistake on an install, I wouldn't expect that from Jeff because, by the time the parts are laid out (neatly) to be installed, he's already memorized the instructions, measured three times and cut once.

Oh, and did I mention that SLR products rock?

#434769 - 03/04/07 06:10 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fair enough. Some runs on parts work perfect, some don't. It is too bad that you AND Calmini could not meet somewhere in the middle of the damn road at any point in time.

Good luck GTsorbet! I will keep beating the hell outta my Calmini parts and any other company I use.

My firm belief is that eventually, ALL parts will fail if you wheel long and hard enough. Part of the fun is fixing stuff and making it better/stronger than when it broke.

#434770 - 03/04/07 09:18 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
I'd get involved in this but Rock,DBAX and Alpine are some of my MySpace friends. I'm an asshole so I don't have many friends so I can't afford to lose anymore. But...Jeff is a Sox fan...hmmmmm. :p

As a business major, business manager and holder of mucho common sense laugh ....The customer is always right. You want their business and the business of other's? Give them a good product and service to support that product. Jeff is far from being a whiny bitch nor do I think he is using XOC to vent his frustration with Calmini. $500 is a lot of money and I don't blame him for being upset. We're pretty limited on our variety of aftermarket suppliers, I would want to know if someone has had a problem with a certain manufacturer. How many times have you seen someone complain about or have a problem with Shrockworks on here? Myself, I saw it once. What did Shrockworks do? Replaced the part that was in question.
I've never met either of you three, I've chatted with all three of you online, thats about it, so I don't truly know either of you but, there's no need for the name calling...........assholes. :p

#434771 - 04/04/07 05:53 AM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

So when someone shells out hard earned money and gets a shit part they should just get over it and buy a new system from another company?

I could care less about being flamed here so here goes.

I am with Rock agian, I hate Calmini. I think that there customer service sucks and their build quality is shoty at best. I had nothing but bad problems with them the few times I ordered.

Most of my experience is with thier zuki side not the X but it seems to be the same. You can go on just about zuki site and find all the same stories about their bad service and products. Now that is two diffrent brands having problems.

Now they do make some good products and anyone can have good luck and it seems alot do, more so if you live on the west coast. But lets face it until people stop making there own fixes and just accepting their (we are right you are wrong attitude) they will just keep building the same half ass parts with shitty service.

If you have their stuff and it works, great. But if people have had problems and alot do then who are you to call them names and say that they don't know what they are doing.

If you don't have any useful info on a post then don't post just to hear yourself or stir up shit

#434772 - 04/04/07 07:09 AM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I see nothing wrong with someone sharing their bad experience on here as much as they want. One of the reasons people come here is too do research, and if I were planning on buying something, I would want to take all the info, good & bad, into consideration.

Get over it? I'd be pretty pissed off myself.

Comparing Shrockworks to Calmini is like comparing Makita to Black & Decker, if Calmini cared about their products they would outsource their stuff to a different powder coater that's for sure!

How many years did they take to improve their UCA's?

I personally won't buy a Calmini product again

I've talked to Jeff in person about his issue with Calmini and I actually can't believe a company would let a simple fix issue escalate like that; they lied to him several times, and I think he took it very well.

#434773 - 04/04/07 08:00 AM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Having been in the customer service industry for several years, I learned that the customer is always right. Yes, even if you know the customer is dead wrong. It's important to satisfy the customer because if you don't, "word of mouth" advertising can be a very powerful vehicle.

I'm sure that out of the hundreds of steering systems that Calmini has sold, there have been some that have left the factory with a defect. In those cases, the product should be replaced or refunded - no questions asked.

I have the utmost respect for Jeff and his knowledge of wheeling and modding the X. I know Jeff was not trying to pick a fight - he wants to be treated fairly, just as any other customer would want. He should either be reimbursed for the defected product or sent a replacement.

It's not rocket science here, kids. Simple logic:
IF the product is defected
THEN replace it with a new one
ELSE reimburse the customer.

#434774 - 04/04/07 09:25 AM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I feel left out so i'll post something.

#434775 - 04/04/07 09:29 AM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
I'm not here to bash anyone.But here's my story. laugh

I put on Calmini's lift and steering kit when I first bought my X in early 02. And I'm now falling victim to the failing Idler Arm.It's getting bad to the point of where I'm getting nervous about it breaking and me crashing my X. But I really can't complain cause It's lasted me well over 3 years of solid off roading. And everyone in my club will vouch that I have put the system to it's tests and probably limits at times. Now do I have grounds to bash them and say they suck? Maybe I do and maybe I don't but what I will say is from the limiting times I have called them and repsonses from other X owners like myself, I will not be ordering from them in the near future.

I have seen what's out in the market that's availible for our trucks and I will purchase a better system.

I jsut need to find a cheap way to fix my steering for now until I can swing getting something new.

Anyone have any of Calmini's bushings for the Idler Arm that they'd be willing to donate to me? :p

#434776 - 04/04/07 09:54 AM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Registered receipt letters go along ways. Then you can voice it right to the manufacturer.

[Smoking]

#434777 - 04/04/07 10:20 AM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
Registered receipt letters go along ways. Then you can voice it right to the manufacturer.

[Smoking]
I agree so do phone calls. laugh

#434778 - 04/04/07 12:01 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by gtsorbet:
Boo, all this name calling and my poor post with a few teenie questions gets over looked. If you knowledgeable guys have a moment, could you look at my post above and please comment if you know what I am talking about?

thanks!
OK, If I were you i'd go with L&P, the pulling sounds like an alignment problem, although you say it's fine. As for the wheel kick, have you gotten underneath and checked tie rods, pitman, things of that nature, or the steering wheel link itself. I just recently bought the Bilstein steering upgrade from AC, I haven't gotten it yet, but I wanna see if it reduces the play and kick in my wheel.

#434779 - 04/04/07 02:20 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
Quote:
Originally posted by TunaSoda:

Comparing Shrockworks to Calmini is like comparing Makita to Black & Decker
I was using what Jim from Shrockworks did for one of his customers as an example of good business.

#434780 - 04/04/07 03:35 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
anyone can have good luck and it seems alot do, more so if you live on the west coast.
I can't explain why, but through all my investigating of this matter (not just Jeffs either), this statement seems to ring true. Of course, that's only of right coast people w/ a gripe. I'm working on it.. smile

Gene, I have a set of used IAB bushings, PM me your addy.

Jeff, check your PM too.

#434781 - 05/04/07 04:51 AM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
fhqwgads Offline

Loc: leominster, ma us
are you kidding me, "get over it" get over faulty parts, get over bad customer service, get over more than $500 dollars, get over being lied to. maybe he would if there wasn't such blinded fandom going on here, oh that's right, this site is owned by Calmini, by Calmini, for Calmini, let's all hail Calmini and their minions.

I mean honestly, anyone who knows jeff, know's no one pays more attention to details, he's the one a lot of us here in the North East go to with questions because of his sheer knowledge of the Xterra, trucks, and off-roading. We who personally deal with him, and off road with him, know all the details, so why don't you get off your Calmini fandom asses.

Steve basically implied, I'm a big company, you're a lowly spec, you'll get it on my terms, if you even do at all... All because Jeff took a stand against him and his faulty parts. Don't know about you, but that's not someone I'd want to do business with. And I can tell you this, that pushed me away from Calmini products and went towards others. All I really want is good service, quality parts, and treated with respect.

#434782 - 05/04/07 05:13 AM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not to go off topic - or possibly to get on topic - SLR has a great product. Yes, it's a little higher priced than some of the others, but it's solid, straightforward to install and feels great to drive.

So, if you're having problems with your current steering and want to use it as an opportunity to replace it, I'd highly recommend the SLR system.

#434783 - 05/04/07 05:34 AM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BigE515:
Quote:
Originally posted by TunaSoda:
[b].

Comparing Shrockworks to Calmini is like comparing Makita to Black & Decker
I was using what Jim from Shrockworks did for one of his customers as an example of good business.[/b]
I just thought the idea was funny laugh

#434784 - 05/04/07 07:17 AM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Nacho00X Offline

Loc: Norman OK USA
Svendog, are you using the Econ or the Full SLR steering system?

#434785 - 05/04/07 07:45 AM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm pretty sure L&P are back up, atleast the web site is responsive once again.

#434786 - 05/04/07 03:26 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Nacho00X:
Svendog, are you using the Econ or the Full SLR steering system?
Full system.
I actually had the econ in my hands, saw Shmitty's full system and decided to trade up. While the econ looks good and looks like it can do the job, once I decided to put a body lift in, I knew 33s were in my future, which would do better with a better steering system.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal