shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#434737 - 03/04/07 09:05 AM steering problem (I know I know)
Nacho00X Offline

Loc: Norman OK USA
I’ve been here for many years, read many posts on the problem, searched many many times, but I still have a question. When driving slowly (under 10) my steering is slow, heavy, and makes loud sounds a basic moan but sometimes it pops (yes I have looked at the steering stops they look fine, also there is no leaks from the steering box). I have SLR tie rod adjusters already, and a AC SL. I just need a basic answer is my steering shot?
I know everyone has their opinions about which one to buy and I would be getting a L&P if I knew I could (I will be emailing the big 3), I figure I will end up with Calmini if they can get it to me fairly quick.

#434738 - 03/04/07 09:51 AM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
My steering was loose and sloppy when the centerlink went bad. It was difficult at highway speeds to keep the vehicle under control.

If you are experiencing that as well a the symptoms you are describing, then yes, your steering is probably shot.

If it handles fine at highway speeds, my guess is the power steering isn't working properly.
If you plan on upgrading your steering:
Read this before buying Calmini\'s steering system...
I bought my steering system in July 05 to replace my worn out stock stering. I've been waiting since 10/27/05 for a warriented replacement idler arm to repair the faulty idler arm I received with my Calmini steering sytem.

Of corse, maybe you'll be lucky and get one that works. But if it doesn't...

#434739 - 03/04/07 10:00 AM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Keep in mind, while he's still waiting for something to happen, hundreds, if not a thousand, Calmini systems have been made, shipped, installed, and worked perfectly for the last 7 years.

Jeez dude, sucks for you, but get over it already.. :rolleyes:

#434740 - 03/04/07 11:30 AM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now does this only happen whe you're in 2wd? I wouldn't think the hubs would do that at just low speeds.

#434741 - 03/04/07 11:57 AM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Nacho00X Offline

Nope, both 2 & 4. Once up to speed (normal around town) its fine it turns like normal. Just pulling out of the driveway, parking spot, or at a stop sign turning (either direction).

BTW thanks all for the help.

#434742 - 03/04/07 12:01 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been putting off buying steering for a long while now, partially due to the Calmini deal. Then I heard about the L&P kit which no one has griped about. I have read plenty but no one ever really complains about my problem. When I am driving straight, I have to hold the wheel to the left quite a bit just to keep it going straight [no, my alignment is fine]. Also, if I am pulling into the local grocery store parking lot and cut it too close, hitting the curb a bit, the wheel is yanked out of my hand and spins hard. I am assuming that is what a worn steering is like? If it fixes my really, really annoying pulling to the right problem that would be worth every penny. Does anyone know if it will?

Thanks!

#434743 - 03/04/07 12:09 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Nacho00X Offline

The reason that I basically ruled out L&P was that it is very up in the air if they are still putting out parts. I would love to have one of their units but the reliability of service if there is a problem is a huge to me. However I will email them and give them a chance, my truck is my daily driver so I would need the part sooner than later.

#434744 - 03/04/07 01:33 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Rockaholic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:
Keep in mind, while he's still waiting for something to happen, hundreds, if not a thousand, Calmini systems have been made, shipped, installed, and worked perfectly for the last 7 years.

Jeez dude, sucks for you, but get over it already.. :rolleyes:
And for every steering sytem Calmini has made that has worked properly, there is another one that failed. I'm not the only one who has had problems with Calmini's Steering system, or had problems ith Calmini's customer service.

Don't make it sound like I'm the only one who's had the problem.
All Calmini had to do was live up to their word and send me the "warrentied" idler arm replacement, or when I talked to Steve Kramer, given me a refund.

Instead, he chose to insult me, and do neither, and essentially rob me of $500.

Get over it? You'v got to be kidding me right?

I'm going to continue to support XOC and it's members and let people know how much Calmini supports the people that by is products and support XOC.

#434745 - 03/04/07 01:36 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Rockaholic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nacho00X:
Nope, both 2 & 4. Once up to speed (normal around town) its fine it turns like normal. Just pulling out of the driveway, parking spot, or at a stop sign turning (either direction).

BTW thanks all for the help.
That definately sounds like a powersteering issue.

If you've ever driven a vehicle without powersteering, it handles exactly like you are describing.

Start by checking your powersteering fluid level, then the hoses, then I'd have the pump checked out.

#434746 - 03/04/07 01:57 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Nacho00X Offline

Thank you Rockaholic, that is actually what I thought it might be, I had an old car w/out power steering and it behave like this does. I just figured it might be the CL due to the 65k and 33s. As for the pop, bad ball joints?

#434747 - 03/04/07 02:07 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Rockaholic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nacho00X:
As for the pop, bad ball joints?
Possibly, but it could be related to the powersteering pump.

I wish I had my manual with me, I could look up the other symptoms of a bad powersteering pump...I don't know them all.

Does the popping only happen when the suspension flexes? Does it happen when you are not turning the wheel, or does it only happen when you turn the wheel?

If it is the balljoint, the popping should occur when the balljoint moves.

#434748 - 03/04/07 02:26 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
And for every steering sytem Calmini has made that has worked properly, there is another one that failed.
That's slander..

Quote:
I'm not the only one who has had problems with Calmini's Steering system, or had problems ith Calmini's customer service.
That's true..

Quote:
Don't make it sound like I'm the only one who's had the problem.
All Calmini had to do was live up to their word and send me the "warrentied" idler arm replacement, or when I talked to Steve Kramer, given me a refund. Instead, he chose to insult me, and do neither, and essentially rob me of $500.

You're probably right. But I'm left to wonder, if all of the alleged hundreds of problem IAB problems had been resolved, why not yours Jeffrey?

Quote:
I'm going to continue to support XOC and it's members and let people know how much Calmini supports the people that by is products and support XOC.
You're very presence on this webite, which is hosted by CALMINI, shows your support of the XOC. Perhaps you could further show your support by attending GONEMoab too, a national event for all Nissan enthusiasts, sponsored by CALMINI. In fact, I see Steve there every year, he's always got a second to talk.

Frankly, I'm surprised the site, the events, even the manufacturing support continues for us, despite the constant badmouthing and libelous crap bantied about here.

#434749 - 03/04/07 02:40 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Rockaholic Offline

DBAX, seeing as you want to take this further off topic...

You accuse me of slander - yet Calmini is guilty of false advertising, and failing to back up their product. I'm not the only person, I know for sure of one other person. I know of people who recieved multiple replacement idler arms which also failed.
Search on the site in problems and annoyances-
There's a whole thread of people who were looking for a fix to the Calmini idler arm problem - you know, the one where AXLE used the sphereical bearing mod?

Why Haven't I come to GoneMoab? well, I live on the East coast, it's a long trip, and I don't have the money to afford to go. If I did, I probably wouldn't be as upset over $500 for a steering system. As it is, Calmini cost me a trip to ECXC along with other wheeling events because of the cost of paying for a faulty steering system, the cost of replacement bushings so I wouldn't lose my registration, and then the cost of buying one thatworks.
Why has Calmini not resolve the issue? My guess is because Steve Kramer doens't believe he needs to give a shit about me. He even said so to me, when he said, "I tell you if or when you get a replacement part."

So Calmini ripped me off, lied to me, tried o cover up their lie, and then went back to business as usual. And I have proof Calmini tried to cover up their lie - within an Hour of my conversation with Steve, in which he said the Steering system was for Off-road use only, the website was changed with the "intended for on and offroad use" phrase removed - but from the XTERRA description only, not from the Frontier description, which is the exact same part number.

In fact, I have a printout of that webpage, including each of the other webpages selling their steering systems, in whihc the XTERRA steering system ad is the only one different in descripton from the rest. The I have a printout from a week later,. in which the XTERRA webpage had the "intended for on and offraod use" inserted back into the page.

You accuse me of slander - I can prove Calmini lied and purposely tried to decieve me.

#434750 - 03/04/07 02:49 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
There's a whole thread of people who were looking for a fix to the Calmini idler arm problem - you know, the one where AXLE used the sphereical bearing mod?
A local (DATZ510) created that, for the record. It wasn't Axle..
Quote:
I know of people who recieved multiple replacement idler arms which also failed.
First I've heard of that.. Got links?

I have no stake in CALMINI, don't get Christmas cards from them, nuthin'. I really do wish your experience was different though. We spend a lot of time here and it's a drag to constantly see you haul out your CALMINI screwed me wagon anytime someone mentions a steering system.

If you're convinced you've been wronged, take 'em to task and get a lawyer. The inconvenience, pain and suffering you've obviously been subjected to are documented here as well..

#434751 - 03/04/07 02:54 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Boo, all this name calling and my poor post with a few teenie questions gets over looked. If you knowledgeable guys have a moment, could you look at my post above and please comment if you know what I am talking about?

thanks!

#434752 - 03/04/07 03:01 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree w/DBAX. Shit or get off the pot. Get over it. Would you like some cheese w/your whine?!? Live on blah blah blah blah blah.

Yes, I had the system they told me it was gonna be weeks for parts so I did the spherical bearing mod. Held up great until I launched my front tires in the air on Poison Spyder and slammed back down. Tell Datz it was an awesome fix!!!

There is no such thing as indestructible, only better than stock.

Now type 4x4......... hold shift repeat .....

4x4 = $X$

Better yet check my sig. wink
Peace and try to keep your panties from getting all bunched up.

#434753 - 03/04/07 03:05 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by gtsorbet:
I have been putting off buying steering for a long while now, partially due to the Calmini deal. Then I heard about the L&P kit which no one has griped about. I have read plenty but no one ever really complains about my problem. When I am driving straight, I have to hold the wheel to the left quite a bit just to keep it going straight [no, my alignment is fine]. Also, if I am pulling into the local grocery store parking lot and cut it too close, hitting the curb a bit, the wheel is yanked out of my hand and spins hard. I am assuming that is what a worn steering is like? If it fixes my really, really annoying pulling to the right problem that would be worth every penny. Does anyone know if it will?

Thanks!
You can call L&P but I think the company (two guys) are in turmoil and going their own ways.

Your problem sounds like a combo... steering and alignment issue. They may align it but if the parts are worn then it will pop out of alignment soon again.

#434754 - 03/04/07 03:07 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have DBAX old Calmini steering. It sometimes moans when I need to lube it up after playing in mud/water.

You may try lubing it all around at every joint.

As fo Calmini and their product/service. i called them and asked for a new bushing for my IA and it was at my door three days later. I also called and ordered two new TRE and again at my door within 1 week. So there HAS to be something else to your story that you are leaving out when you bad mouth their service. Maybe YOU called with an unjustified bad attitude to begin with...who knows, but Steve and Co. have always come through for me and those I know personally.

#434755 - 03/04/07 03:07 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Rockaholic Offline

I didn't say AXLE created it, only that he used it...I couldn't remember who came up with the fix, but I knew Axle wasn't the one.

I would take Calmini to court, but I'd have to go to small claims court in CA - which means I have to pay for a flight out there and back at my own expense, and even if I win there is no guaranteed judgement, I'd have to collect it myself. By the time I got my money back from Calmini, I'd have sent more than what I'm owed.

So what's the good of that?
you want links for multiple Idler Arm Failures - here\'s one,Powerguy.
Another, Aquamander had 2 idler arms go,...nch of bushings
Accoridng to Calmini, before I ordered m...issues anymore.
That was untrue

#434756 - 03/04/07 03:13 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Rockaholic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
There is no such thing as indestructible, only better than stock.
My stock steering lasted over a year with about 6 wheeling trips.

My Calmini lasted 3 months, ~5K miles, and one day of very light wheeling.

I know you have to pay to play, but when I'm paing for a
Quote:
This system is a new, complete replacement set designed to correct the chronic problem of a worn idler arm and center drag link.
Not something that's indestructable, but what I did with the steering system on shouldn't have caused it to fail. None of the other vehicles I wheled with (with stock steering components) had any steering problems after that day of wheeling.

Alpine, I'll tell you what. I'll sell you something for $500, then not give you what I said I'd give you, and let's see how you feel and react.

I shouldn't be buying a new steering system to then pay someone to fix the damn thing before it's even used.

#434757 - 03/04/07 03:17 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Sounds like there may have been an flaw in the installation aka 'user error'?

Mine has been wheeled hard for MANY MANY miles by DBAX and now by me with no probs. My IAB is tight, I just ordered the bushing as a trail spare in case.

#434758 - 03/04/07 03:17 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep that steering system needs lubing. If you dont own a grease gun GET ONE NOW!!

On a side note for the greasing thing UCA bushings last ALOT longer if you install a zerk in the UCAs (they dont take alot of grease but you can push the dirt back out from the inside and keep pushing new grease through).

#434759 - 03/04/07 03:28 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Rockaholic Offline

gtsorbert
- I know what you are talkingabout. I had to hold my steering to the left to keep straight when it fell out of alignment. I don't know about the other symptoms, as I didn't experience them.

when my steering was worn, I'd drift left and right in the lane of travel, not just to one side. You might have another issue, but I'm not 100% sure

Quote:
Originally posted by T-Ray:
I have DBAX old Calmini steering. It sometimes moans when I need to lube it up after playing in mud/water.

You may try lubing it all around at every joint.

As fo Calmini and their product/service. i called them and asked for a new bushing for my IA and it was at my door three days later. I also called and ordered two new TRE and again at my door within 1 week. So there HAS to be something else to your story that you are leaving out when you bad mouth their service. Maybe YOU called with an unjustified bad attitude to begin with...who knows, but Steve and Co. have always come through for me and those I know personally.
This guy has a stock steering, so the moans are probably not coming from there.

As for me and my attitude, I spent a long time being patient and reasonable with Steve Kramer and company. I had to go through fucking hoops to get my replacement bushings, after being told repeatedly that I'd have a replacement idler arm in 2 weeks.

I've posted the whole story before, if you have had a good experience, that's great for you.

Calmini has screwed me over, and that's a fact jack.
People should have the right to know what could happen to them, and if Calmini really cared about what people thought about their customer sevice, they wouldn't have treated me like they have.

#434760 - 03/04/07 03:31 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Rockaholic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by T-Ray:
Quote:

Sounds like there may have been an flaw in the installation aka 'user error'?
So without knowing me, you're going to place the blame on me?
why don't you tell me what I did wrong, since I followed Calmini's instructions, and even had another peson with Calmini's Steering System (which did not fail him) double check everything.

#434761 - 03/04/07 03:35 PM Re: steering problem (I know I know)
Rockaholic Offline

You know, I must the the problem, not Calmini- They'd never make a mistake or have a problem with a product, right?
I mean, look at how little thier steering system has changed since it came out

To now

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal