2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#435336 - 17/04/07 02:52 PM Weak torsion bar
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

I noticed that front of my X is about 3/4" lower on the passenger side. I had it in for an alignment today and they noticed it too. They tried to level it, but t-bar was already cranked all the way. There is no PML.

The service writer was telling me that since it's lower on one side and already adjusted to it's max, it probably means that the torsion bar has weakened over time, I believe tired is the term he used. I know he is not trying to sell me new torsion bars because it's a tire shop and they don't carry them.

I am wondering what is my best option. My only plan is to level it. I don't plan to do a PML in the near future and I don't plan to replace the plastic bumper with a heavy steel bumper.

Option 1 would be to re-index the torsion bar to be able to level it
Option 2 would be to replace the torsion bars and level it

I am leaning towards Option 2, but wondering if the 20% stiffer torsion bars would be too stiff considering I don't have any armor or heavy bumper.

#435337 - 17/04/07 02:58 PM Re: Weak torsion bar
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would reindex what you have and see if that works first....that won't cost you a dime and it'll take about an hour.

If you haven't removed a Tbar before, it's not too bad....clean everything up real good first and hit the Tbar anchor bolts front and rear, as well as the Tbar splines with plenty of penetrating oil for a couple days before to make it easier.

On the passenger side, mark the splines and the anchors both front and rear with a paint pen so you know exactly where it was before, and rotate the bar 2 splines counterclockwise looking toward the front of the truck and reassemble.

Then, when you're adjusting, measure to the top of the fender opening using the hub as a centerline. Drive the truck around the block a couple times and readjust, as it will settle a little bit after reinstallation.

#435338 - 17/04/07 03:03 PM Re: Weak torsion bar
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like the way you think. You got me convinced to try the free stuff first. Well, not exactly free, I will have to have a few beers while doing it.

#435339 - 17/04/07 04:04 PM Re: Weak torsion bar
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
yeah - there's no such thing as "adjusted all the way" 'cause where you put the adjuster on the bar is arbitrary.

At any rate, another stock torsion bar or two should be easy to come by... everyone who has lifted or SASed their truck should have a pair lying around being heavy.

#435340 - 17/04/07 04:12 PM Re: Weak torsion bar
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Desert_Rat:

On the passenger side, mark the splines and the anchors both front and rear with a paint pen so you know exactly where it was before, and rotate the bar 2 splines counterclockwise looking toward the front of the truck and reassemble.

Thats some good info there,
I recently added shrock bumper and winch and its settled some I need to get under the truck and reindex I'm at the end of my adjustment also
thanks!

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal