shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44091 - 17/02/04 07:31 PM engine break in
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have around 200 miles on my new x. I cannot seem to find any info on engine break periods or the 04 supercharged 6. The book says to take it easy for the first 1200 miles. I was curious if you guys changed out the oil at the first 500 miles. I think that is old school thinking so I wanted to see what everyone else is doing.

#44092 - 18/02/04 03:05 AM Re: engine break in
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
You will get about 500 opinions on this, but mine is that you should leave the original oil fill in at least until the end of the break-in period. I (and a lot of other people) feel that changing the oil before then slows down the break-in so it's better to not change. Once the break-in period is up, do what you want.

I also feel it's a good idea to use all of the engine speed range during break-in. You don't want to work the engine hard by accelerating heavily, but you do want to vary the revs and use the range. That will help loosen up the engine.

#44093 - 18/02/04 07:00 AM Re: engine break in
Anonymous
Unregistered

When my wife's VW Cabrio was new in 2000 I asked the service manager the same question, change oil at 500 miles. He said Don't do it. There are additives in the original crankcase oil to help with break in.
Just drive, vary speeds, Don't use cruise control for any length of time. Change oil when scheduled.

#44094 - 18/02/04 07:41 AM Re: engine break in
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 2003 S/C. I waited until the first scheduled maintenance (3,750 miles), then changed out the oil with Mobil-1 Synth 5W-30. I currently have 11K miles on my Xterra and still drive gently. I do kick in the S/C from time to time to let her stretch. Per the manual, I avoided hard acceleration/high rpms until about 1,200 miles. It was not easy. I have owned 5 Nissans in the past and find the engines to be very well built. When something went wrong, it was always from another part of the vehicle.

-dp [Smoking]

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal