shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44137 - 09/11/01 06:20 AM Installed the HKS air intake. Likes\Dislikes...
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
I installed the HKS air intake for a friend last night. It was fairly easy.
I have the SLR intake. I noticed some differences with the products.

1. The first thing I noticed right away was the finish of the aluminum. Very rough finish (burs, scratches, etc.). It looked like it needed some finishing touches to make it look better. The SLR, out of the box obviously had a better finish to it. The SLR iV intake looked as if time was spent to make sure the finish was proper.

2. No spot for the Air Temperature senser on the HKS intake. It mounts to a peice of intake tubing that's not even connected to the intake, leaving it basicly non-functioning. The SLR mounts it to the top of the iV filter making full use of it.

3. The one thing I liked better on the HKS intake was the mounting hardware. It comes with a steel bracket to secure the filter from bouncing around under the hood. IMO, SLR needs to come up with a better way of securing the filter. Right now they use a zip tie to secure it. Over time, I know it will break.

4. Both are Very easy bolt on installs, but I'm glad I went with the SLR.

Has anyone else installed one or the other? Opinions?!

~Stormy

#44138 - 09/11/01 06:45 AM Re: Installed the HKS air intake. Likes\Dislikes...
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
Stormy -
I also installed the SLR air filter. A solution for the foward mount - remove one of the bolts and turn the mount so it lines up with the front of the filter. Tighten the remaining bolt. You may then use the zip tie or a SS hose clamp. IIRC I e-mailed you a photo of that mod.
I'm also making a cool air box for mine. It is nearly done but as the weather has cooled off, there's no big rush. I understand that some of the vendors have/or are working on the same thing.
dave and xtoy - too many projects smile

[ 11-09-2001: Message edited by: DaveDatsun ]

#44139 - 09/11/01 09:17 AM Re: Installed the HKS air intake. Likes\Dislikes...
stormy Offline

I called Stillen and they will sell the cool air box that they offer with their intake seprate. I've been waiting 3 hours for a call back with a price.

I do like the looks of your mod though. I'd do something like it but I'm too lazy and not that creative laugh

#44140 - 09/11/01 10:24 AM Re: Installed the HKS air intake. Likes\Dislikes...
dp21499 Offline

Loc: San Jose California
I too have the HKS intake and I like it the only problem I see though is that it will be a little bit trickier to custom built a cold air box since it is bigger than the SLR around 8 " in diameter.
Stormy, what do you mean by "No spot for the Air Temperature senser on the HKS intake" mine has a tubing from the top of the HKS intake connected to where the original oem intake tubing was connected. I think there is a different in design from 2000 to 2001 model..
another problem is that I have to buy another filter every 10,000 miles, bummer..anyway I just put a shop vac prefilter on top of the hks filter to make it last longer...

#44141 - 09/11/01 10:42 AM Re: Installed the HKS air intake. Likes\Dislikes...
stormy Offline

Quote:
Stormy, what do you mean by "No spot for the Air Temperature senser on the HKS intake" mine has a tubing from the top of the HKS intake connected to where the original oem intake tubing was connected

That's not the air temp sensor. The ats is located on the air tubing going from the fender down below where the stock airbox was, then connects to the cruse control cable. It plugs into that tube. Once you remove the airbox, the tube (and the sensor)that houses the ats now serves no purpose.
Quote:
I think there is a different in design from 2000 to 2001 model..

Yes, the 01' doesn't have that drainage tube. (I think that's what it is)
Quote:
another problem is that I have to buy another filter every 10,000 miles

Why can't you just clean it with soap and water - then oil it?

#44142 - 09/11/01 02:43 PM Re: Installed the HKS air intake. Likes\Dislikes...
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
On my previous vehicle (that saw some track time), I tried the HKS intake. Good performance, though short lived. In my opinion a K&N type would be better for the offroad environment as they flow better than stock with up to 1/8" of dirt on them, and they are washable/reuseable. I just put a Pop charger on mine (same as two other Nissans previously) and am very happy with the price and performance. Saying that the temp sensor serves no purpose if left in the stock location is somewhat incorrect. It will still register the temperature in close proximity to the intake and it will still allow the ECU to make adjustments accordingly.
Charlie (still just an FNG)

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#44143 - 09/11/01 11:22 PM Re: Installed the HKS air intake. Likes\Dislikes...
stormy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlieH:
Saying that the temp sensor serves no purpose if left in the stock location is somewhat incorrect. It will still register the temperature in close proximity to the intake and it will still allow the ECU to make adjustments accordingly.
Charlie (still just an FNG)

That is a completely wrong statement... The reason for the ats is to read what the air temp going into the air intake.Into the air intake... get it. with the air temp sensor not connected, how is it taking an accurate reading??? The slr IS taking readings from INSIDEthe filter.
The way that HKS has the set up is pulling outside air temp through the fender, tricking the air sensor the the air temp is cooler than is actually is! Please tell me how, given what you are saying is remotly true, is it taking proper and accurate readings??? This should be good :rolleyes:

#44144 - 10/11/01 01:37 PM Re: Installed the HKS air intake. Likes\Dislikes...
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Quote:
Originally posted by stormy:

That is a completely wrong statement... The reason for the ats is to read what the air temp going into the air intake.[b]Into the air intake
... get it. with the air temp sensor not connected, how is it taking an accurate reading??? The slr IS taking readings from INSIDEthe filter.
The way that HKS has the set up is pulling outside air temp through the fender, tricking the air sensor the the air temp is cooler than is actually is! Please tell me how, given what you are saying is remotly true, is it taking proper and accurate readings??? This should be good :rolleyes:[/b]

The air temp under the hood is pretty much the same as the intake charge. When you go to the open filter element, air is not coming from outside the engine compartment. Same old heat soaked air. It would be interesting to have something like this Dyno tested though. Maybe the air moving by the sensor acts in some way to give a cooler reading? I'm pretty sure the results would be negligible. smile

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: CharlieH ]

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#44145 - 12/11/01 07:35 AM Re: Installed the HKS air intake. Likes\Dislikes...
Tom G Offline

Loc: AZ
I installed my HKS last night. It took all of 20 minutes. 7 bolts out, 5 back in. It sounds awesome and I noticed more power, could partly be due to the new exhaust too. Have there been any conclusions about whether I have to actually replace the foam filter every 10K or can I just wash it and re oil it?

#44146 - 12/11/01 08:02 AM Re: Installed the HKS air intake. Likes\Dislikes...
stormy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by LUV2-4x4:
Have there been any conclusions about whether I have to actually replace the foam filter every 10K or can I just wash it and re oil it?

I still think you can wash then oil it to reuse it.
Tom, would you (or Anthony) mind posting a picture of it from the top so that you can see the Air Temp sensor?
Thanks,
Stormy

#44147 - 14/11/01 07:10 AM Re: Installed the HKS air intake. Likes\Dislikes...
Tom G Offline

Loc: AZ
Here is a link with all my pics of the intake: http://tom_guza.home.mindspring.com/hks.html

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal