2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44148 - 07/02/06 06:50 PM *&$&% Clutch....Anyone Adjust Pedal?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I'm slipping now...I'm going to try the pedal adjustment when I get home tonight...anyone here ever have that help?

I think its the only adjustment option (Pedal)...like maybe height, free play and interlock switch ar all I have to play with?

I have FSM at home...but I need to hit the ground running, I'm leaving for Paragon...

:rolleyes:

I can get a new Dual Friction Centerforce Clutch (90% more grip!) laugh from 4x4rockshop.com for about $340 delivered...but the timing sucks, I'd never get it in in time... mad

anyone?

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#44149 - 07/02/06 07:26 PM Re: *&$&% Clutch....Anyone Adjust Pedal?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have the reg centerforce sent overnight. It's not he 90% but you're going to take a huge hit on the freight.. It's still a great clutch, what, 30%+?

#44150 - 07/02/06 10:09 PM Re: *&$&% Clutch....Anyone Adjust Pedal?
TJ Offline

The pedal adjustment made no difference...

And the travel seemed OK...master and slave cylinder, not clutch?

Anyone have experience with that?

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#44151 - 08/02/06 04:14 PM Re: *&$&% Clutch....Anyone Adjust Pedal?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If your clutch is slipping most likely repair is a new clutch. Hydraulic clutches are self adjusting. I'm having troubles shifting right now (clutch not disengaging) so i'm going to replace both master and slave cylinder and hope that it fixes it. I kind of doubt that adjusting freeplay or replacing master/slave cylinders would help in your case. If you can't get your clutch replaced i wouldn't even chance going wheeling. Also from what i hear the centerforce clutches dont' wear very well. The extra holding force of the centerforce clutches isn't really necessary on our rigs IMO. Another drawback of high performance clutches is that once they engage, they engage. sometimes you need to slip the clutch when wheeling, good luck if you have one that grips twice as much as a stocker.

#44152 - 08/02/06 05:54 PM Re: *&$&% Clutch....Anyone Adjust Pedal?
TJ Offline

Yeah...its the clutch. Just had a moment of optimism before.

laugh

I've had centerforce's before, had actually better take up than stock (Not on the X...in a prior life..)...so I'm not too worried, my left leg is atrophied from a soccer injury a few years ago...so it needs the excersize.

laugh

I'll have the Clutch on Friday...I have no where to work on it this weekend, and I was supposed to be at PAP friday - Sun anyway...

So, I am sucking it up and dropping it at a local tranny place on Sat. [flushing sound, t-case crawler gears .... swirling down, out of site...]

sniff sniff

Anyway, C'est La Vie.

I use the truck for work, and I can't afford the downtime...

#44153 - 08/02/06 06:13 PM Re: *&$&% Clutch....Anyone Adjust Pedal?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
[flushing sound, t-case crawler gears .... swirling down, out of site...]
Sorry man, you know I love ya'...They just came today laugh

You can do it..

#44154 - 08/02/06 06:52 PM Re: *&$&% Clutch....Anyone Adjust Pedal?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just order my gears today laugh But install is gonna have to wait till I get enough money for new clutch.

#44155 - 08/02/06 08:49 PM Re: *&$&% Clutch....Anyone Adjust Pedal?
TJ Offline

Hey - I don't hold it against yah...

My timing was just painful...If the gears stay available at that price long enough...I'll be hitting them.

Time.

tic

tic

tic

#44156 - 08/02/06 08:53 PM Re: *&$&% Clutch....Anyone Adjust Pedal?
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Sorry TJ, but I know you have some good Karma coming you're way so hang in there! smile

#44157 - 09/02/06 04:13 AM Re: *&$&% Clutch....Anyone Adjust Pedal?
TJ Offline

Thanks Dude!

laugh

Lately, its been one bad thing after another.

I can't blame the X...this is the only major repair, and I've got around 100k on it, and I rock climb with a 5 spd on 33's...with realistic expectations.

I'm sure my luck will change.

There's a light at the end of the tunnel lately....

But I think its an oncoming train.

laugh

#44158 - 09/02/06 04:49 PM Re: *&$&% Clutch....Anyone Adjust Pedal?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TJ:
[QB]I'm slipping now...I'm going to try the pedal adjustment when I get home tonight...anyone here ever have that help?

Ok how do you adjust the pedal pressure?
I just got my rear main seal replaced, and had them trow in a new clutch while they were at it. But now my pedal fells like mush and I have to have on the floor to change gears...WTF...do I need to take it back or will the pedal adjustment take care of it?

#44159 - 09/02/06 09:24 PM Re: *&$&% Clutch....Anyone Adjust Pedal?
dezurtrat Offline

Take it back! (NOW)!

#44160 - 10/02/06 04:51 AM Re: *&$&% Clutch....Anyone Adjust Pedal?
TJ Offline

There's a piston that goes from the pedal linkage through the firewall...and its got a length adjustment lock nut set-up...loosen the lock nut and then the length of the rod...

THere's also a stop closer to your knee, etc...under the dash that the rest of the linkage comes back onto...that also has an adjustable lock nut set up....if you say "Damn the Chiropractor, Full Speed Ahead!"...you can crawl under there and see the links pretty plainly, and its pretty self explanatory.

The pressure per se isn't what you're adjusting, its the pedal travel / freeplay really...when you push the clutch pedal down, watch the links move...for me, I assumed that the movement when th pedal was at the relaxed end of travel (Up), rather than down against the floor boards, was th direction I needed to go to get more engagement...

I had no friction material to speak off within range though...the X has a self adjusting hydraulic clutch...so it had already taken up any slack, and, I didn't get lucky with my pedal adjustment attempt.

:rolleyes:

Hey, a free fix is always worth trying...it would have been a band-aid I would have used to still make it to PAP this weekend.

D:

#44161 - 10/02/06 03:54 PM Re: *&$&% Clutch....Anyone Adjust Pedal?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks guys I adjusted it and it feels much better. [Wave]

#44162 - 10/02/06 04:09 PM Re: *&$&% Clutch....Anyone Adjust Pedal?
TJ Offline

One for the Good Guys!

laugh

#44163 - 10/02/06 07:50 PM Re: *&$&% Clutch....Anyone Adjust Pedal?
dezurtrat Offline

Glad you got it fixed. I hate fixing something when someone else worked on it. I just had me rear main replaced (2nd time) and they left the tranny fluid very low. I could have obviously added it myself but wanted them to see it and note it in case any damage was done. Thus the reason I always suggest taking it back! smile

#44164 - 11/02/06 07:52 AM Re: *&$&% Clutch....Anyone Adjust Pedal?
TJ Offline

Not fixed YET...dropping it off today...get it back on Monday, Snow Gods Willing...

laugh

#44165 - 11/02/06 08:24 AM Re: *&$&% Clutch....Anyone Adjust Pedal?
dezurtrat Offline

Wooo Hooo! Nice TJ! [ThumbsUp]

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal