shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#441651 - 16/11/05 08:54 AM help me out with explorer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Internet gods-

OK, so i am getting pop ups cause of goddamn limewire. I deleted it as soon as a downloaded it, but basically there is something on my computer that causes about 5 different types of pop ups to occur.

I do not believe they are real (internet based)pop ups, because they are repeating the same sites, and only since i downloaded limwire. I have run, ad aware and have Norton running. Ad aware keeps finding tracking things, but it can’t kill the source(the same ones keep coming back). I am wondering where i should look next?

I have looked through explorer ad ons (found stuff, disabled it), MSconfig startup (found and disabled), and still cant get rid of the source. I have also killed all cookies and Internet files. PLEASE help me with any info you have.

thank you

boog

PS- i tried system restore, and its never successful.

#441652 - 16/11/05 08:56 AM Re: help me out with explorer
Anonymous
Unregistered

the sites are 888.com, some poker site, and a couple other IRONIC pop up blocker ads.

while the pop up is up, is there anyway to track where it was created from?

#441653 - 16/11/05 09:01 AM Re: help me out with explorer
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am not an internet god, but I do manage a small network of devices whose users occasionally get into situations like yours. What I have found very helpful is to download and run two free programs regularly. We run Ad-Aware and Spybot, both available for free at download.com

Each one does a pretty good job of finding the pollution on a system, and when used back to back they seem to clean almost everything.

I'm sure there are more god-like folks here who can help you more; hope this also helps.

#441654 - 16/11/05 09:08 AM Re: help me out with explorer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good question - Someone better qualified then me will need to explain how to get rid of it completely. It isn't an "easy" process.

In the meantime, may I suggest?:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

#441655 - 16/11/05 09:14 AM Re: help me out with explorer
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
download microsoft antispyware beta and run while logged in via safe mode. That's the first and quickest thing I'd try.

#441656 - 16/11/05 09:40 AM Re: help me out with explorer
off2cjb Offline

I have and use limewire. I have never ever had a popup. The only programs running are zonealarm and avast anti-virus. Don't blame limewire unless you know for sure.

#441657 - 16/11/05 09:44 AM Re: help me out with explorer
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dont blame limewire directly, it was a "necessary" installer to run a file a downloaded off of limewire. So i guess in a way you are right, i wont blame them directly. It is some company within the limewire database.

Thank you for that Microsoft AntiSpyware advise. That thing seems to have killed it. Like i said, ad aware could find the results of whatever was causing it, but this microsoft product seems to have actually gotten to the source.

Thank you

i recommend the product! [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]

edit to ad: why have i not heard about that product? you think microsoft would market that program a little more. is it new?

#441658 - 16/11/05 11:27 AM Re: help me out with explorer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Boot your pc into safe mode after installing Ad-Aware, Spybot, and MS Anti Spyware. Going into safemode (F8 while pc boots) will stop the services (programs) that cause these pop-ups to run in the background. Go to your Add/Remove Programs and remove anything which you yourself did not install. Go into internet Explorer Properties and remove all cookis, offline browsing files, and history. Afterwards, run all the anti spyware programs (adware, spybot and ms-spyware). For extra precaution run Anti Virus too. When done reboot to normal windows. This should take care of your issue.

#441659 - 16/11/05 01:03 PM Re: help me out with explorer
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by boognight:
I dont blame limewire directly, it was a "necessary" installer to run a file a downloaded off of limewire. So i guess in a way you are right, i wont blame them directly. It is some company within the limewire database.

Thank you for that Microsoft AntiSpyware advise. That thing seems to have killed it. Like i said, ad aware could find the results of whatever was causing it, but this microsoft product seems to have actually gotten to the source.

Thank you

i recommend the product! [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]

edit to ad: why have i not heard about that product? you think microsoft would market that program a little more. is it new?
In typical MS fashion, they didn't create this product, they bought a company who owned it. This product has been available and advertised by MS for a good year now. They recently renamed the product Microsoft Defender. Spyware is a bitch!

#441660 - 20/11/05 07:01 AM Re: help me out with explorer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Better late to a party than never.

Limewire (and its twin Bearshare) come prepackaged with the "parasite" known as "WHEN U" or "180 Solutions" (same thing). ONLY in the freeware versions as far as I know.

First, since these are basic P.I.T.A type parasites (popup), try good old "ADD/REMOVE Programs from the control panel for the items mentioned above. DO NOT GET DELETE HAPPY IN THERE!!!! Some of the things are needed, even if you dont know what it is) (My warning!!).

(GEEK MOMENT WARNING)
Now, If you download AD-Aware, and then decide to remove it, it'll blow away your TCPIP stack, and thats a no-no.

I like the following apps for beginners:

SPYBOT 1.4 (1.4 just rolled out) does a decent job of removing and a almost as good job of "immunizing" as well.

Webroot Spysweeper -- This is my baby, its a free trial, but worth the purchase (not online-goto PC store), I run WEBROOT stuff on my home network (geek!) Excellent job at removing andso-so at blocking)

Microsoft Anti-Spy BETA - Good too, but can be overwhelming to some. I wish they could make a better interface for it. (Damned Willy gates!)

HiJACK THIS and CWShredder - ONLY for geeks!! IF you know what you are doing ONLY!! (!! times 10 here)

Good luck!
MGJ

#441661 - 20/11/05 09:00 AM Re: help me out with explorer
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with the firefox suggestion. IE and M$ is the IT cancer.

Personally, I use FreeBSD . If you want to see it in action, click here . No spywares, no adwares and yes, I have Limewire too.

It's not for the inexperienced Windows user though, but you'll never know if you don't try. I keep a seperate XP partition just for games, the rest I do in FreeBSD.

#441662 - 23/11/05 06:04 PM Re: help me out with explorer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try dancing Nick Francesco's Security Tango: Tango Linky .

Whodafook is Nick Francesco, you ask? A Network Admin or some such mucketymuck at Rochester Institute of Technology and host of the radio show Sound Bytes for the last 16 years (the longest running computer radio show in the country) .

But personally, I'd just switch to Firefox or Opera or anything but MSIE.

Moderator:  Paul H 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal