2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#442114 - 09/06/07 10:14 AM Re: iPhone
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by RReuscher:
Ah, here we go again with the name calling from the other side. Of course the major arguement from that side is - 90% of the world runs windows, so it should be good enough for you! Which one's are the drones again - the lemmings who follow along with the rest of the pack, or the individuals who are overly proud of their independence from the MS brainwashing?
I find it comical when ya'll get upset when someone that dislikes Apple comes back with a name when that's all Mac owners do. And I especially like how you try to turn my comment around on the vast majority. That's basically how al qaeda thinks. I don't really care who buys what, but we who make up the 90% don't buy Windows because it's made by Microsoft. That's what the majority of Apple buyers do. That's what spawned my comment. Just look at the second to last comment on page 2 of this thread. The iPhone is a really cool concept, but that price is absurd. Especially for people who just use their phones to talk and play music the majority of the time. I'd love to hear and actual reason why people don't like AT&T though. Maybe the network sucks in certain cities.

#442115 - 09/06/07 11:35 AM Re: iPhone
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
I'd love to hear and actual reason why people don't like AT&T though. Maybe the network sucks in certain cities.
I'm in DC. I originally had AT&T Wireless (starting in '98). Great service, great customer service. As soon as Cingular bought them, I started getting dropped calls, poor reception, and at one of the stores they mysteriously added the "international package" to my bill. Yeah...I've NEVER made an international call...why would I want that?

In theory, they SHOULD have the best network, combining AT&T and Cingular. Problem is, too many subscribers. I don't believe the "fewest dropped calls" at all.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#442116 - 09/06/07 03:29 PM Re: iPhone
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I'd love to hear and actual reason why people don't like AT&T though. Maybe the network sucks in certain cities.
I don't have a problem with AT&T. Except that they're not AT&T anymore.

Keep w/ me, here...

AT&T spun off their cell phone company as a standalone, AT&T Wireless.

AT&T Wireless is sold to Cingular.

SBC buys AT&T, then changes their name to AT&T.

The new AT&T (SBC) then buys BellSouth (which owns Cingular).

So now there is a company by the name of AT&T, that has absolutely none of the history of AT&T. Until the new owners can prove they can run a company this big, I'm staying away from 'em.

#442117 - 09/06/07 05:55 PM Re: iPhone
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
Yes, we've all seen this by now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtFtcp4mNzA

[LOL]

Still, I had Cingular and Time Warner Cable. After all that crap took place, I now have AT&T everything and their Customer Service has been night and day compared to the crap I dealt with at Cingular.

#442118 - 09/06/07 08:36 PM Re: iPhone
RReuscher Offline
Tyrannt

Loc: Carrollton, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
Quote:
Originally posted by RReuscher:
[b]Ah, here we go again with the name calling from the other side. Of course the major arguement from that side is - 90% of the world runs windows, so it should be good enought for you!. Which one's are the drones again - the lemmings who follow along with the rest of the pack, or the individuals who are overly proud of their independence from the MS brainwashing?
I find it comical when ya'll get upset when someone that dislikes Apple comes back with a name when that's all Mac owners do. And I especially like how you try to turn my comment around on the vast majority. That's basically how al qaeda thinks. I don't really care who buys what, but we who make up the 90% don't buy Windows because it's made by Microsoft. That's what the majority of Apple buyers do. That's what spawned my comment. Just look at the second to last comment on page 2 of this thread. The iPhone is a really cool concept, but that price is absurd. Especially for people who just use their phones to talk and play music the majority of the time. I'd love to hear and actual reason why people don't like AT&T though. Maybe the network sucks in certain cities.[/b]
I'm not upset, if I was upset I'd just delete your comments and be done with it.

Every company in the world want to create a brand loyal customer. Apple is just better at it than most, probably because of their attention to design, engineering, and use of use with their products, but they do tend to charge for that when they first bring out a product.

Your right, nobody buys Windows because it made by Microsoft, they haven't achieved any brand loyality, because for the most part they don't inovate anything, they just use their monoloplistic predatory practices to eliminate the competition (which of course is also what every company in the world wants to do, and Microsoft seems to better at this than most).

You probably wouldn't believe it, but we have just as many Windows PC's in the house as Mac's. My wife uses Windows, because that what she used when she was a PC programmer, and refuses to learn anything else, and she uses it to read email and internet surfing. My son got a Windows PC because of the game issue, that all he does on him machine other than some lite word processing. I happen to have two Mac's because when I replace one I don't need to trash the old one, I keep it around as a fileserver/backup machine. The machines that do the most work in the house are Mac's.

I never said ATT network sucks, I just said it wasn't a decent network, you might want to check the Cancelling Sprint thread to understand my opinion.
Carrollton RACES/ARES #4007/A07

#442119 - 11/06/07 02:46 PM Re: iPhone
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Loc: Dundee, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
[b]I may end up getting one. Simply because I use my cell phone for two things; phone, and music player.
Yup! And with Apple's fanatical attention to detail, hopefully they will get it right. I love visual voicemail. I hate normal voicemail systems, and I can't believe it took someone until 2007 to come up with the idea to use the screen to navigate voicemail!

No wonder all the current smartphone users are freaking out that the battery isn't removable in the iPhone - they have been conditioned to see it as a critical feature for the use of their phone [Too much XOC]

I'm not getting one right away - the first iPod was a dud as far as I was concerned. But if they are released for a while and don't seem to have any critical flaws, I can't wait to dump my current piece of shit and get something that is hopefully faster and more reliable.[/b]
Great points. I forgot about the visual voicemail. That's a huge step forward. I swear Verizon has their V/M system tricked up so that it takes forever to toggle through all the messages (more chewed up minutes equals more $$). It takes a minute on the nose to listen to and delete one V/M. That's no accident since a one minute one second call gets billed as two minutes.

As for Windows Mobile, I've had mine freeze up on occasion. It's an inconvenience to soft restart or pull the battery out, but 99% of the time it's just that, an inconvenience. Hopefully Apple will raise the user interface bar so high that all the other cell phone manufacturers will take notice and drastically improve something that hasn't really moved in a positive direction in a few years.

The iPhone will offer some new things right off the bat, I just don't think it warrants $600 plus a two year commitment to a crappy network.

#442120 - 12/06/07 06:51 AM Re: iPhone
Coop Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Off topic, but...

On my Verizon account voicemail doesn't count against minutes. I think if you actually dial your number it is, but if you use *86, it should be free.

Modify your voicemail contact to be something like this *86ppp#1234# (where 1234 is your pin) and you'll get into voicemail with one key. You can also set the system to use rapid prompts which speeds things up a bit as well.

#442121 - 12/06/07 11:43 AM Re: iPhone
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know about rapid prompts, or that it didn't count against minutes. I thought that's how they made their bread and butter with so many people addicted to voice mail.

#442122 - 22/06/07 11:03 AM Re: iPhone
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I don't have a problem with AT&T. Except that they're not AT&T anymore.

Keep w/ me, here...

AT&T spun off their cell phone company as a standalone, AT&T Wireless.

AT&T Wireless is sold to Cingular.

SBC buys AT&T, then changes their name to AT&T.

The new AT&T (SBC) then buys BellSouth (which owns Cingular).

So now there is a company by the name of AT&T, that has absolutely none of the history of AT&T. Until the new owners can prove they can run a company this big, I'm staying away from 'em.
Cingular was a joint venture of BellSouth and SBC (aka Southwestern Bell, Pacific Bell, Nevada Bell, SNET, and Cellular One at that time) Acutally, they're more like the old AT&T now than they have been in almost 25 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_System_divestiture

#442123 - 26/06/07 10:48 AM Re: iPhone
Auditor_Kevin Offline

From The Onion:

Apple is set to release the much-hyped iPhone Friday, June 29. Here are some of its most highly anticipated features:

• Nanotechnology enables it to reassemble itself when thrown against wall
    Exclusive link to Google Street View so you can watch yourself using your iPhone at all times

Takes Polaroids

When moved from hand to ear, makes Lightsaber sound effects

Prominent Apple logo

Reproduces through asexual budding

Has way, way more PRAM than the last thingy

Comes with an iPhone hat, so people know you own an iPhone during the brief periods you're not using it

This is some funny stuff, especially the bullet point about some of the most anticipated features being a prominent Apple logo and a hat so for the fleeting seconds early adopters aren't flashing it around, people will still know they spent over $600 for an average-featured phone.

#442124 - 26/06/07 11:27 AM Re: iPhone
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Auditor_Kevin:
people will still know they spent over $600 for an average-featured phone.
That is some pretty funny stuff.

But how is the phone "average-featured?"

Seriously. I really don't know a lot about phones, other than the one I have - the Dash. I know the iPhone isn't 3G, but other than that, how is it average?
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#442125 - 27/06/07 02:32 PM Re: iPhone
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Quote:
[b]people will still know they spent over $600 for an average-featured phone.

Seriously. I really don't know a lot about phones, other than the one I have - the Dash. I know the iPhone isn't 3G, but other than that, how is it average?[/b]
There’s no memory-card slot, no chat program, no voice dialing. You can’t install new programs from anyone but Apple; other companies can create only iPhone-tailored mini-programs on the Web. The browser can’t handle Java or Flash, which deprives you of millions of Web videos.

The two-megapixel camera takes great photos, provided the subject is motionless and well lighted . But it can’t capture video. And you can’t send picture messages (called MMS) to other cellphones.

Apple says that the battery starts to lose capacity after 300 or 400 charges. Eventually, you’ll have to send the phone to Apple for battery replacement, much as you do now with an iPod, for a fee.

#442126 - 27/06/07 04:34 PM Re: iPhone
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cpgator:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]people will still know they spent over $600 for an average-featured phone.

Seriously. I really don't know a lot about phones, other than the one I have - the Dash. I know the iPhone isn't 3G, but other than that, how is it average?[/b]
There’s no memory-card slot, no chat program, no voice dialing. You can’t install new programs from anyone but Apple; other companies can create only iPhone-tailored mini-programs on the Web. The browser can’t handle Java or Flash, which deprives you of millions of Web videos.

The two-megapixel camera takes great photos, provided the subject is motionless and well lighted . But it can’t capture video. And you can’t send picture messages (called MMS) to other cellphones.

Apple says that the battery starts to lose capacity after 300 or 400 charges. Eventually, you’ll have to send the phone to Apple for battery replacement, much as you do now with an iPod, for a fee.[/b]
Aside from the battery issue (which you can do yourself on an iPod, if so inclined, so I imagine they are working on it for the iPhone), what phones have all that other than Smart Phones? And how many of those have wi-fi?

I wouldn't call it *average*.

#442127 - 27/06/07 08:47 PM Re: iPhone
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by cpgator:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
people will still know they spent over $600 for an average-featured phone.

Apple says that the battery starts to lose capacity after 300 or 400 charges. Eventually, you’ll have to send the phone to Apple for battery replacement, much as you do now with an iPod, for a fee.[/b]
Aside from the battery issue (which you can do yourself on an iPod, if so inclined, so I imagine they are working on it for the iPhone), what phones have all that other than Smart Phones? And how many of those have wi-fi?

I wouldn't call it *average*.

For the price you're going to pay for an iPhone it should be as feature rich as a smart/pocketpc phone. Pretty much any new smart/pocketpc phone made by HTC (including the Sprint and Verizon phones marked as UT/Starcom) has WiFi built in. If I'm paying as much as I would be for an iPhone I should damn well be able to buy a second battery for it, so that on heavy usage days I can pop the spare battery in and keep using my phone when I don't have an outlet or charger near by. I should not have to wait for someone to "figure out" how to change the battery in my phone when it dies.
Oh, yeah, anyone can develop an app for my smart/pocketpc phone...and honest to god programs not web applications...c'mon it's lacking in features...cool design/idea, but craptastic execution.

#442128 - 29/06/07 01:47 PM Re: iPhone
xterrapin Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Holy shit!
Craigslist is blowing up right now.

BTW, I have a friend that works at Apple. He told me yesterday that all Apple employees will receive a free iPhone in July.

#442129 - 29/06/07 02:32 PM Re: iPhone
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by xterrapin:

BTW, I have a friend that works at Apple. He told me yesterday that all Apple employees will receive a free iPhone in July.
Sounds like that may be the ticket to getting a below-retail-price iPhone on ebay!

#442130 - 29/06/07 03:11 PM Re: iPhone
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by XPLORx4:
Quote:
[b]

Sounds like that may be the ticket to getting a below-retail-price iPhone on ebay![/b]
The day something made by Apple that goes cheap on eBay...especially something current...is the day Microsoft closes its doors.

I think what you MEANT to say was "sounds like that may be the ticket for an Apple employee to make the retail price PLUS a few bucks on ebay."

#442131 - 29/06/07 05:25 PM Re: iPhone
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Holy shit!
Craigslist is blowing up right now.
Priceless.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/361291990.html

#442132 - 29/06/07 07:03 PM Re: iPhone
p.i.n.o. Offline

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
So who ended up getting one?

#442133 - 29/06/07 07:36 PM Re: iPhone
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll let the lemmings beta test it for me and I'll pick it up when it starts to be useful in a few years. laugh

#442134 - 29/06/07 07:45 PM Re: iPhone
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Already going for $1500+ with bids on Ebay.. [Freak]

#442135 - 29/06/07 08:45 PM Re: iPhone
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll wait for the cheaper, more feature rich 2nd generation.

#442136 - 29/06/07 10:03 PM Re: iPhone
xterrapin Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Played with one tonight...it's better than I expected.
I must have one.

#442137 - 30/06/07 05:32 AM Re: iPhone
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Played with one tonight...it's better than I expected.
I must have one.
Are we still talking about iPhones?

#442138 - 30/06/07 08:07 AM Re: iPhone
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
I just don't get it either. If I'm going to spend that much money on a phone, I'd rather get a Nokia N95 myself. Wiki on it..

It beats the iPhone hands down, in my opinion. 5MP camera, built-in GPS, quad-band GSM and WCDMA, this phone smokes... Sure, it's only got 2 gigs of memory, but it's a cell phone for fucks sake. It's a $150 more, but it's from a company that's been in the game for a long time, not a first offering. Money much better spent you ask me.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Paul H 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal