2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#442978 - 05/11/07 05:42 PM Suggestions for External HDDs
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
What is everyone's experience with these?

Western Digital?
Seagate?
Maxtor?
other?

I'm guessing everyone's gonna have some pretty varied experiences with their brand of choice - so lets hear it.

#442979 - 05/11/07 06:58 PM Re: Suggestions for External HDDs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've got two Acomdata drives and a Hammer. No complaints with any of them. The Hammer seems to be the best of three. It has a built in cooling fan. Other than that, they all seem decent enough...

#442980 - 05/11/07 08:01 PM Re: Suggestions for External HDDs
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Costco. Seagate Free Agent Pro - 750 GB for $200.

Quad interface - USB, Firewire 400 and 800, and eSATA

One is on my Tivo (eSATA), and I use one for backups and general storage (Firewire). They work perfectly - very satisfied. my only complaint, they are designed to stand vertically only - not crazy about that, but for a 750GB external eSATA capable drive, you can't beat 'em.

#442981 - 05/11/07 09:58 PM Re: Suggestions for External HDDs
Happy Birthday Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
I use a 320 GB MyBook, but then again, I don't do anything extraordinary with it. Just pictures, music, etc..

#442982 - 05/11/07 10:48 PM Re: Suggestions for External HDDs
RReuscher Offline
Tyrannt

Loc: Carrollton, TX
I've got :

Western Digital 80GB USB 2.0
Home made 200GB USB 2.0 (a scratch drive and an off the shelf enclosure)
Seagate Free Agent 500 GB USB 2.0 These three are connected to my fileserver via USB since that's all it has.

2 Maxstor 500GB USB 2.0/Firewire 400/Firewire 800 - Connected via the Firewire 800
Seagate 750 GB USB 2.0/Firewire 400
Seagate 400GB USB 2.0/Firewire 400
Hitachi 100GB laptop drive in a external Firewire 400/USB 2.0 enclosure
Fujitsu 60GB laptop drive in an external Firewire 400 enclosure. These are connected to my MacBook Pro via it's Firewire 400/800 connections

Some of them are for daily backups, some for offloading all the RAW pictures, some to keep sensitve information on that I don't want on the laptop drive, etc.

Some of them have been running for years (Don't throw an old drive away when I get a bigger, just add it to the chain, or when I replace a internal laptop drive with a bigger one get an external case for it - those make great emergency disks). I don't know that any manufacture is better than any other. I've only had one Maxstor go bad, and driver was about 7 years old. They are on all the time, unless we lose power to the house, and then I gracefully power everything down since the UPS(s) aren't big enough to handle all of that for more than a half hour or so.
Carrollton RACES/ARES #4007/A07

#442983 - 06/11/07 03:36 AM Re: Suggestions for External HDDs
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Seagate has the best warranty - 5 years. But let's face it...that five year warranty isn't going to preserve your data any more than a 1 or 2 year warranty.

Personally, I'd avoid Maxtor. I've seen several go bad. I stick to WD and Seagate.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#442984 - 06/11/07 04:33 AM Re: Suggestions for External HDDs
Happy Birthday Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Quote:
Originally posted by RReuscher:
I've got :

Western Digital 80GB USB 2.0
Home made 200GB USB 2.0 (a scratch drive and an off the shelf enclosure)
Seagate Free Agent 500 GB USB 2.0 These three are connected to my fileserver via USB since that's all it has.

2 Maxstor 500GB USB 2.0/Firewire 400/Firewire 800 - Connected via the Firewire 800
Seagate 750 GB USB 2.0/Firewire 400
Seagate 400GB USB 2.0/Firewire 400
Hitachi 100GB laptop drive in a external Firewire 400/USB 2.0 enclosure
Fujitsu 60GB laptop drive in an external Firewire 400 enclosure. These are connected to my MacBook Pro via it's Firewire 400/800 connections

Some of them are for daily backups, some for offloading all the RAW pictures, some to keep sensitve information on that I don't want on the laptop drive, etc.

Some of them have been running for years (Don't throw an old drive away when I get a bigger, just add it to the chain, or when I replace a internal laptop drive with a bigger one get an external case for it - those make great emergency disks). I don't know that any manufacture is better than any other. I've only had one Maxstor go bad, and driver was about 7 years old. They are on all the time, unless we lose power to the house, and then I gracefully power everything down since the UPS(s) aren't big enough to handle all of that for more than a half hour or so.
Holy crap. I can't imagine having 3+ terabytes laying around.

Moderator:  Paul H 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal