shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#443118 - 20/01/05 07:59 PM So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
electrobuzz Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
It may be the placebo effect, but pages seem to load quicker than in IE6. I also like the web site titles next to the browser address. Additionally, the drop down tab with several search engines is quite handy.

#443119 - 20/01/05 08:02 PM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ive been using it for quite a while now. I absolutely love it, mainly cause IE5 and IE6 were both messing up my computer and wouldnt load at times. Since i mad the switch, no problems whatsoever.

[ThumbsUp]

#443120 - 20/01/05 08:18 PM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
Been using it for several months now. Other than a very occasional page that loads funny, it works great.

One feature I like is when those popup windows with embedded media players appear (like on a News site, etc.), once the media starts playing, you can right-click on the window, select "View Page Info", select the "Media" tab, scroll down the list until you find the name of the movie file and click on it, click on the "Save As" button and save the movie to your hard drive.

Works most of the time, except for when the file is one of those Windows Media reference files (ASPX or something like that). Works great for MOV, MPG and WMA files.

#443121 - 20/01/05 08:52 PM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Use it love it!!

#443122 - 20/01/05 09:14 PM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
I can't get used to it, I'm an Opera fan myself. One window, everything in tabs, everything works, no stupid plugins, no complaints. laugh

#443123 - 21/01/05 07:37 AM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
I've been using it for a while, and other than it being "lite" and technically more secure than IE, I haven't found it to be any faster or more stable.... I recently have actually started getting popups and some downloadtrojan.ject viruses coming through... no lie... This is on a WinXP Pro SP2 workstation with firewall enabled, behind a hard firewall. So I really think the theory of, more users = bigger bullseye is starting to take effect with Firefox. Time will tell if it is truly as secure etc.. as all the FOSS groups are saying....

#443124 - 21/01/05 08:06 AM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I love it, and will never go back

#443125 - 21/01/05 08:13 AM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's allright, Didn't notice any real improvements, but had d/l'd and started using due to a "Patch or Hotfix" that screwed up IE6. It wouldn't load links that you'd click on. Removed the patch and now use IE6 again.
I did like how easy it was to install Firefox and how it pulled in all the favorites and cookies. Nice [ThumbsUp]

#443126 - 21/01/05 08:21 AM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
Coop Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
I use it, but am dissapointed with it's memory footprint. Some people claim firefox is light... But to me 80 meg with 4 tabs open isn't exactly light.

It's better than Mozilla, or of course Netscape, but it isn't inherently better than IE... And you will find that once people begin to target it, it will become just as much of a problem for people who do not keep current on updates as IE is.

The only reason I use it is because I like tabbed browsing. With the TabBrowser 1.1.1 extension it works well. They should really roll that into the core.

#443127 - 21/01/05 09:17 AM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
Use it love it!!
Ditto.

No more popups!

#443128 - 21/01/05 09:20 AM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
jerseydevi1 Offline

Loc: Yorktown, VA USA
Use it, love it, converted all 6 machines at home to it!

#443129 - 21/01/05 09:32 AM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Well, I like FireFox, though I only use it when developing. I like the JavaScript console.

Though what I don't like it is the integration, or lack there of, with Windows.

I'm used to just puting in h:\ into the address bar and well, seeing the contents of the h: network drive.

It may seem trival but FireFox really doesn't have that many advantages over IE so this gives IE the leg up in my case.

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#443130 - 21/01/05 09:40 AM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
See, those complaints you guys have with Firefox ... Opera's got it all covered. Lighter footprint, does the H:\ thing beautifully, and in every instance I've tested always loads faster than both IE and Firefox.

http://www.opera.com/ laugh

#443131 - 21/01/05 09:51 AM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
electrobuzz Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Coop, thanks for the heads up on 1.1.1. Tabbed browsing is damn cool.

Opera does look pretty sharp... superjens, did you help develop it, or what? laugh

#443132 - 21/01/05 09:52 AM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
Anonymous
Unregistered

FireFox is good, however I don't think that it loads pages any faster. As far as for security, yes, they do offer a few more features than the IE, but as posted above, as soon as FireFox will become targeted they will have the same problems as IE. But for now - works great and I like it.

#443133 - 21/01/05 09:56 AM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
spalind Offline

Loc: Windham, NH
I'm on a Mac and use Safari 90% of the time...usually much faster than the Mac version of IE...been tempted to try Firefox but not yet...

#443134 - 21/01/05 11:05 AM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
I'm used to just puting in h:\ into the address bar and well, seeing the contents of the h: network drive.
You can put a drive letter into the address bar of Firefox just fine (it converts it into a file:// url and displays it like an ftp site). Perhaps you're using an older version?

Quote:
Originally posted by spalind:
I'm on a Mac and use Safari 90% of the time...usually much faster than the Mac version of IE...been tempted to try Firefox but not yet...
I use Firefox on the Mac and it works great. Its really nice having the exact same browser experience on the Mac at home, and the PC at work.

#443135 - 21/01/05 11:21 AM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
Coop Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
A lot of you might also want to use the BBCode extension... It allows you to do things like paste as a BBCode Image tag or URL tag...

I use the TabBrowser 1.1.1, BBCode and the Mouse Gestures 1.0 extensions... Makes it into a pretty nice browser.

#443136 - 21/01/05 01:08 PM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
Nope. IE only. Firefox doesn't work with OWA, and that's something I need to make frequent use of. Tabbed browsing sucks, I like having multiple windows up. It plays GIFs improperly, and it hangs and crashes constantly. Never had a single problem with IE, popups or spyware on my systems, so I've never had a reason to switch. I tried it to see what all the hubub was about, but it was like going back to IE 2 that came with Windows 95.

Anyone who actually has problems with spyware and popups and browser hijacks probably fucking deserves them, anyway.

#443137 - 21/01/05 01:36 PM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use Firefox, and switched to Thunderbird for email, but went back to Outlook. I love Firefox, though!

Tabbed browsing =

#443138 - 21/01/05 01:48 PM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris McCracken:
You can put a drive letter into the address bar of Firefox just fine (it converts it into a file:// url and displays it like an ftp site). Perhaps you're using an older version?
Yes, I can see it as if I'm seeing the directory list from a site, but this has no use to me, I would like to access it was if I was using the explorer.

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#443139 - 22/01/05 12:23 AM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Quote:
Originally posted by TremorX:
Nope. IE only. Firefox doesn't work with OWA, and that's something I need to make frequent use of. Tabbed browsing sucks, I like having multiple windows up. It plays GIFs improperly, and it hangs and crashes constantly. Never had a single problem with IE, popups or spyware on my systems, so I've never had a reason to switch. I tried it to see what all the hubub was about, but it was like going back to IE 2 that came with Windows 95.

Anyone who actually has problems with spyware and popups and browser hijacks probably fucking deserves them, anyway.
Dude, calm down! :p

To each their own. I like tabbed browsing. My computer is running like the shitbox it is (though I have a new Dell coming in within the week) and it runs better on the tabs. If you don't like it, hey, like I said, to each their own.

#443140 - 22/01/05 01:00 AM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
Another Mozilla Firefox fan right here! Sometimes I switch to IE if video links don't open on Firefox.

#443141 - 22/01/05 04:01 PM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
WIRED Feb. 2005 has a nice write up on Firefox. I have it installed at work but just downloaded it to my home computer. Need to get used to it and hopefully get rid of all the spyware that keeps popping up.

#443142 - 22/01/05 09:32 PM Re: So who's using Mozilla Firefox?
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
It works fantastic! I got NO pop-ups! Laods faster and doesn't have crap I don't want!

-Rick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Paul H 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal