2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44580 - 01/12/05 10:41 AM Clutch question 2002 S/C SE 4WD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all! This is my first post and I'm hoping you can answer a question or help me find some resolution to this dilema. I have a 2002 S/C 4WD X with only 44k miles. I service it regularly, and just last week I bring it in to have the fuel filter changed, and oil, after getting back from the dealership (only an hour wait) I had noticed that without depressing the clutch I was able to shift into or at least shift towards first gear, with a lot of grinding noise of course, until I put in the clutch. Now I can't do that with any other gear. It didn't do it before I went there, so my question is could they have scewed up my shifting into first gear? I then brought it back on Wed and had them take a look, and they said that I needed to replace the clutch?! I get no slippage on any of the other gears. What is I to do? Any comments and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Engitool

#44581 - 01/12/05 12:48 PM Re: Clutch question 2002 S/C SE 4WD
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
First off you never want to try shifting without using the clutch, unless your driving your ex's car... Be that as it may with a synchro mess transmission you can shift without the clutch in and out but again dont make it a habbit. My truck recently had the transmisson replaced. When you go to a stop light put the truck into neutral, sit a few seconds, and then try putting it back into gear. If there is any kick back or grinding you have issues. The Xterra 5spd is known for issues with the synchros. The whole transmission wont go but shifting becomes hard and eventually the gear will go. I had to try and try and finally went to another dealer to get my transmission replaced, under warranty. I struck a good deal with the service manager they would fight for the new transmission if I agreed to put in a new clutch. The labor for the clutch was covered under the transmission repair and I only had to pay for parts about 500.00$. They also threw in the rental for me. Talk to the service manager and see what you can do. Dont try calling Nissan they will side with the dealer. You may have to find another dealer in your area. Hope this helps let us know what the outcome is.

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#44582 - 01/12/05 01:05 PM Re: Clutch question 2002 S/C SE 4WD
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alright, I haven't talked to Nissan but I have some more insight. A guy I work with says that what I'm describing has nothing to do with the clutch but soley with the shifter. He has said it was the detent lockout had issues, the actual name for what the detent lockout on a nissan manual transmission is some terminology I'm trying to seek so that I can talk to a dealer. If you know what the term is please help out. The detent lockout is a mechanism that prevents the shifter from pushing in two or more gears at the same time (i know its impossible to do, but there is a prevention mechanism). Anyone know of any sites, other than looking at a chilton's manual as to what the components of a manual shifter are?

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal