shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44620 - 18/06/03 05:45 AM transmission cooler???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now If i am going to be towing near the maximum towing capacity for the X, do you think that it would be necessary to install a transmission cooler and if so can anyone recommend a brand or give me a link. THanks guys..

#44621 - 18/06/03 06:29 AM Re: transmission cooler???
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you are towing max cap day in and day out then yes.

If you do it once in a while then no.

#44622 - 18/06/03 07:50 AM Re: transmission cooler???
javentre Offline

I would install it regardless. Heat is the #1 enemy of all automatic transmissions. Assuming it's properly installed, it's help the transmission fluid to last longer (by keeping it cooler). Well worth a $50 part.

I installed the B&M on mine and when sitting in traffic on those hot summer day's - I can feel a difference.

#44623 - 18/06/03 08:23 AM Re: transmission cooler???
Excelagator Offline

Loc: Wisconsin...The show me how to...
I would install one regardless if you are towing or not, cheap insurance! Just check the price of a new transmission. [Huh?] Most dealers shop won't rebuild a transmission. I have one installed. Here is a link for the install coolerman trans cooler install
Hope that helps, Gator

#44624 - 18/06/03 09:10 PM Re: transmission cooler???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't you guys think if our X needed a cooler it would have came with the tow package? I've asked several mechanic savy friends of mine and they all said on a V-6 with OD no way would you need one. Basically that it was a waste to put one on. Even if you were doing a decent amount of towing.

I don't know too much about them. I know I plan on towing not too often with my X. Mostly when I move from station to station. That's basically it.

#44625 - 18/06/03 09:41 PM Re: transmission cooler???
smudog Offline

Loc: Lakewood, Colorado
I don't think that transmission coolers are that necessary. If you do a lot of towing or put stress on it, just check the oil more often. Smell it, and if it smells burned, like it is getting hot, then replace the oil. Proper maintanence is always cheaper than the improper type.

Mike

#44626 - 19/06/03 06:55 AM Re: transmission cooler???
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Smell isn't the only indicator of worn-out fluid.

Look, we're talking about something that costs under $100 installed to protect something that costs a few thousand. Just do it.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#44627 - 19/06/03 07:36 AM Re: transmission cooler???
greenterra2002 Offline

Loc: Long Island New York
I'm with you Offroad! And to Suspect I have this to say You spent alot of money for your X I'm sure you drive with insurance so a $100 cooler is just a little more insurance.
I don't know the mechanic types you were talking to but where I come from if you're hauling a trailer get a cooler just that simple. The overdrive is not there for towing but to reduce engine rpms at highway speed if there is a load on the tranny od will not ease the load nor does it keep the fluid cool a COOLER does that!

#44628 - 19/06/03 07:41 AM Re: transmission cooler???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, given I live in an apt complex and don't have the time/space/knowledge/equipment to do this how much would it cost to have done?

#44629 - 20/06/03 08:00 AM Re: transmission cooler???
OffroadX Offline

Call a few Uhauls, they all have their own pricing but I know someone that got one installed for about $100 total, including the cooler.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#44630 - 21/06/03 05:54 AM Re: transmission cooler???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Agree totally. My Suv's came standard with a transmission cooler, thank goodness, because I do tow the boat alot and live in the rockies. I highly recommend having one, along with changing tranny fluid every 30-35k miles. [Wave]

#44631 - 21/06/03 10:42 AM Re: transmission cooler???
*paul Offline

Loc: New Zealand
The X comes with one standard too, but it doesn't seem to get much credit...

#44632 - 21/06/03 10:56 AM Re: transmission cooler???
Anonymous
Unregistered

The X has a TC? I didn't think it did.

#44633 - 21/06/03 11:15 AM Re: transmission cooler???
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Suspect2:
The X has a TC? I didn't think it did.
Yes it does have a transmission cooler.. it is only in the V6 Automatic transmission models.

#44634 - 21/06/03 11:16 AM Re: transmission cooler???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I've got an '03 SE and I remember the dealership (my uncle) asking if I wanted one installed when I bought it. Hmmm.

#44635 - 21/06/03 01:21 PM Re: transmission cooler???
OffroadX Offline

The factory ATF cooler is integrated into the radiator and does a fair job, but if you're towing or otherwise making the tranny work hard, an aftermarket one is a good idea. I would advise this arrangement:
Tranny out -> oil filter relocation kit (just the remote filter mount needed) -> aftermarket cooler -> stock cooling circuit -> tranny in
Change the filter every 10000 miles or so and you should be set.

Brent

#44636 - 21/06/03 05:45 PM Re: transmission cooler???
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
I pull a big honking trailer in the mountains here and the tranny hasn't broken a sweat. Temps have stayed nice and cool with no burnt fluid so far (a weekend of pulling in 95+ heat with a 5k# trailer). Maybe if you were constantly towing it would be worth it, but most of the time the tranny is pulling just the X. Coolers also give you more points that can leak. Change the fluid more often as a precautionary measure, but it should be fine...Brake controller on the other hand was a good investment. The Xterra stops better with the trailer than without smile

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#44637 - 21/06/03 08:16 PM Re: transmission cooler???
Charles S Offline

Loc: Texarkana
CharlieX,

Nice camper.

I must agree I pull a 24 ft Coachmen with the factory transmission cooler and I have never had any problems.

Charles
If one courageously confronts a formidable opponent and is ultimately overpowered it is unfortunate....It is far less understandable and certainly less forgivable when one losses a fight he should have won, simply because he carelessly allowed himself to be taken by surprise. John Farnam

#44638 - 21/06/03 09:09 PM Re: transmission cooler???
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
24' !? Cool. I was wondering if I could run something bigger laugh

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#44639 - 21/06/03 09:30 PM Re: transmission cooler???
*paul Offline

Loc: New Zealand
It's good to finally see some posts from people with actual experience in this subject.

#44640 - 22/06/03 06:57 AM Re: transmission cooler???
jimbo Offline

here is a pic of my 26,000 GVW B&M Cooler
(on the right hand side - that's my license plate)

took about an hour start to finish - and I had to relocate the temp sensor for the rear view mirror - I just moved it over to the drivers side so it wasn't so close to the cooler.

http://www.ricllc.com/javentre/cooler.jpg

if your determining factor is whether the fluid is burnt or not - when you find out cause it's black and burned - you're too late - you've already done damage. Here is a good write up for why you need one.
http://www.gadgetonline.com/Transmission.htm#Transmission%20Cooler:

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal