shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44641 - 20/04/04 03:51 PM lucas oil stabilizer in rear dif?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Found some lucas oil stabilizer that I've had for a few months and was thinking of trying it in the rear differential to possibly quiet the whining noise that is oh so common. Has anyone tried this. I've searched but could not find any specific answers. Saw the synthetic responses and everything else, but not with this specific product.

#44642 - 20/04/04 04:26 PM Re: lucas oil stabilizer in rear dif?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
That's for motor oil, not gear oil.

#44643 - 20/04/04 05:36 PM Re: lucas oil stabilizer in rear dif?
Anonymous
Unregistered

On thier web site it says it can be mixed with any petroleum product, even ATF [Freak] ! http://www.lucasoil.com/Products_List.cfm Go to product brochure for the oil stabilizer.

#44644 - 20/04/04 05:50 PM Re: lucas oil stabilizer in rear dif?
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
I found this site very interesting. smile (I'm sure it's come up here before, though.)

BobIsTheOilGuy

#44645 - 20/04/04 06:04 PM Re: lucas oil stabilizer in rear dif?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Interesting. I wonder what kind of rpm's that little wheel is spinning. Perhaps the foaming action is relative to rpm's. Low rpm's=good. High rpm's=bad.

#44646 - 20/04/04 06:22 PM Re: lucas oil stabilizer in rear dif?
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by osteodoc07:
Perhaps the foaming action is relative to rpm's. Low rpm's=good. High rpm's=bad.
Did you read the article ? That's what it was all about.

Put exactly what Nissan recommend in the diffs (and everywhere else) and you won't have any problems. If they wanted additives in there, they would recommend them.

#44647 - 21/04/04 04:21 PM Re: lucas oil stabilizer in rear dif?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good call. It is just that rear end whine is driving me crazy. I'm gonna switch everything over to synthetic at 15K (except the oil which I have been doing). Drain fill ATF and rear dif with corresponding mobil synthetic.

#44648 - 21/04/04 05:00 PM Re: lucas oil stabilizer in rear dif?
XOC Offline
Admin

That rear end whine is a factory defect and covered under warranty.

#44649 - 21/04/04 05:36 PM Re: lucas oil stabilizer in rear dif?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have taken it to 2 dealerships and they say it is "within normal limits". WTF is that supposed to mean. I also had the same 2 look at the 1-2 delayed shift. According to them, that was within normal limits also. I looked at the atf dipstick and it looks a little high to me. Even when it is cold it is at the full hot range. Could this cause a "delayed" 1-2 shift. Hope it blows up sooner than later. Nissan is currently working on a fix for the driveline vibration during acceleration and they are working on a fix.

#44650 - 25/04/04 05:52 PM Re: lucas oil stabilizer in rear dif?
Anonymous
Unregistered

They're working on a lot of things.

Overfull ATF can be a cause. As the airation of the fluid can cause a delayed feeling shift, due to the air in the fluid being compressed during the internal clutch pack application. Have it changed at the dealership. Then, if it's still overfull, they'll have to level it out.

As far as the whine in the rear end goes, have you called Nissan Corporate and complained about the service there? If it's a problem, it needs to be fixed. It's only going to get worse, it's not going to fix itself.

#44651 - 25/04/04 06:09 PM Re: lucas oil stabilizer in rear dif?
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah try out the lucas stabilizers for the differentail..make sure it's for gears not motor oil...I've used that stuff in my Acura and it really keeps the oil flow better/smoother...I've seen the additives work first hand..there was these two square containers with plastic gears inside and has a handle that you can crank to turn all the gears. One of the containers had only reg motor oil inside..the other reg motor oil w/lucas stabilizer...when you crank the one without the stabilizer, u can see the oil stick on the teeths of the gear and the gear itself, traveling upwards as the gears were set ontop of each other...the only bad thing is that the oil only travels up to the third gear-and not much oil is lubing that gear..so there's now two other gears with no lubing...

on the other hand, the container with lucas, when you crank it, oil travels all the way to 5th gear-quickly.. laugh

#44652 - 25/04/04 07:48 PM Re: lucas oil stabilizer in rear dif?
Anonymous
Unregistered

But in all reality, there isn't anything in any rig that is set up like that demonstration that relies on lubrication like that. Even your front pinion bearings (that rely on the slung oil from the ring gear) are really close to the level of the oil in the diff. By the time the oil level gets low enough to starve any bearings of oil, your already in trouble.

Stick with Factory reccomended fluids. That's your best bet. Synthetic versions are nice, but cost vs. gains? We complain about gas prices, but don't blink at the additional cost of using synthetic oil? Stay away from Snake Oils, you'll only be disappionted.

#44653 - 25/04/04 07:50 PM Re: lucas oil stabilizer in rear dif?
Uzbad Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by osteodoc07:
Found some lucas oil stabilizer that I've had for a few months and was thinking of trying it in the rear differential to possibly quiet the whining noise that is oh so common. Has anyone tried this. I've searched but could not find any specific answers. Saw the synthetic responses and everything else, but not with this specific product.
Use it. You wont regret.

#44654 - 25/04/04 09:01 PM Re: lucas oil stabilizer in rear dif?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Uzbad, that's a pretty vague statement, how about backing it up?

The rear diff doesn't need this stuff, they do fine for hundreds of thousands of miles with little if any attention...

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#44655 - 26/04/04 01:25 AM Re: lucas oil stabilizer in rear dif?
Anonymous
Unregistered

wouldn't the stabilizer help when your offroad-in 4wd??think about it for a moment...you're 4wheelin' in mud, at a steep incline, so now all the diff. fliud/tranny fluid is'nt sittin' level no more, but sitting just to one side..wouldn't it be a good idea to have most/or all of that fluid distributed throughout the inside of the diff/tranny??

#44656 - 26/04/04 03:53 AM Re: lucas oil stabilizer in rear dif?
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by 04silver:
wouldn't the stabilizer help when your offroad-in 4wd??
Nope - if you read the bobistheoilguy report, the stabilizer breaks the balance of additives that come with the gear oil from the manufacturer and actually make the "stickieness" of the oil worse frown

Just put a good quality gear oil in there. If you are really worried about gear oil sticking everywhere, drain out and put redline in there (not sure about redline for LSD diffs tho). It was pleanty sticky by itself out of the bottle (read Bob's reoport for details).

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal