2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44934 - 14/10/05 09:27 PM differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do we have a differential breather? And if so where is it located. Thank you in advance.

#44935 - 14/10/05 09:38 PM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

that would be that tube sticking up out of the axle

#44936 - 14/10/05 09:51 PM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Once again mud thank you man. SO I take it it runs pretty high up from the looks. Looks like IM going to have to take a look. Thanks man.

#44937 - 15/10/05 04:46 PM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by shortcut:
Once again mud thank you man. SO I take it it runs pretty high up from the looks. Looks like IM going to have to take a look. Thanks man.
yea, it runs up to the body almost, when i took a look at mine after i sunk part of my truck, i noticed that the breather went way up so i wasnt as worried about getting water in there

#44938 - 15/10/05 06:03 PM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cool. Now Im not worried. Yeah Water in the diff. Not a good thing.

#44939 - 15/10/05 08:13 PM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah unless you are in water up to your body. I will be relocating my breather much higher. I will post pics when it is done.

#44940 - 15/10/05 09:29 PM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, please post as soon as you can. Cuz I might want to relocate it pending on where it is. Havent looked yet.

#44941 - 16/10/05 01:12 PM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
Yeah unless you are in water up to your body. I will be relocating my breather much higher. I will post pics when it is done.
Where are you relocating yours? I've been going to run the front one up the "A" pillar and the rear one up the "C" pillar or in the back. I've been too lazy to figure it out for now, so I would like to see what you are doing.

#44942 - 16/10/05 03:58 PM Re: differential breather?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
On the jeep, I used to put a filter on the end of the breathers...it used to make it almost impossible for water to leak in....and I've forgotten what type I used to use that worked...it may have been a plastic fuel filter.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#44943 - 16/10/05 08:17 PM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We used to do that too. Used a small filter that looked like a baby K&N.

Some of the guys put an S bend in the line too, with the filter at the top. (Picture the S lying on it's side.) This way if any water did happen to get in, it didn't neccessarily go down the line to the diff.

#44944 - 16/10/05 08:49 PM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Theres one for the front too right? I need to extend both. What size tubing fits those guys anyways?

#44945 - 17/10/05 09:10 AM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
On the jeep, I used to put a filter on the end of the breathers...it used to make it almost impossible for water to leak in....and I've forgotten what type I used to use that worked...it may have been a plastic fuel filter.

laugh
Did the filters look like the ones being used on this Samurai:

Super Samurai

(Second picture down on the right)

-Bp

#44946 - 17/10/05 09:17 AM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The tube extensions on the rear diff., did you guys add those or did they come off the assembly line like that. THe reason I ask is because my rear diff. breather has no extension tube. All it is the little breather screwed right into the axle houseing. When I did my Sl and dropped the front diff. it had the extension tube. It doesnt make sence to me that my front diff. would have an extension and the rear would not. confused

#44947 - 17/10/05 10:13 AM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

More info on a Nissan breather connector and hose size here:

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/cheaptricks/breathers/

You can get the part (38323-C6010) from www.nissanparts.cc for $2.24:

http://www.nissanparts.cc/cart/?pn=38323-C6010&submit.x=5&submit.y=2

-Bp

#44948 - 17/10/05 11:05 AM Re: differential breather?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
The front and rear diffs, and the tranny/t-case, have breathers...stock.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#44949 - 17/10/05 05:32 PM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow this is nice info. GOing to have to start relocating. WOOHOO. Water here I come eek . OKay maybe ill wait but, soon.

#44950 - 17/10/05 09:37 PM Re: differential breather?
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Yea, I totally agree! Very nice information here. [ThumbsUp]

#44951 - 18/10/05 05:42 AM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:

laugh
Maybe my wording was alittle off. on the rear is there an extension tube or is the breather screwed right into the axle houseing? [Smoking]

#44952 - 18/10/05 05:45 AM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Wow this is nice info. GOing to have to start relocating. WOOHOO. Water here I come eek . OKay maybe ill wait but, soon.
just becareful with water, i dont have a pic of it, but on our trucks the alternator sits very low in the engine, frying alternators is a common thing people have happen when doing deep water crossings

#44953 - 18/10/05 07:47 AM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by airbornenurse:
Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
[b]The front and rear diffs, and the tranny/t-case, have breathers...stock.

laugh
Maybe my wording was alittle off. on the rear is there an extension tube or is the breather screwed right into the axle houseing? [Smoking] [/b]
There is an extension tube that runs up to the body.

#44954 - 18/10/05 07:51 AM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by UofA_Xterra:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
[b]The front and rear diffs, and the tranny/t-case, have breathers...stock.

laugh
Maybe my wording was alittle off. on the rear is there an extension tube or is the breather screwed right into the axle houseing? [Smoking] [/b]
There is an extension tube that runs up to the body.[/b]
Hmmm. I guess the "assembly rear differntial extension tube attacher person" must have been on crack the day my X passed by him at a blistering pace. :rolleyes:

#44955 - 18/10/05 09:17 AM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by UofA_Xterra:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
Originally posted by TJ:

laugh
There is an extension tube that runs up to the body.[/b]
Hmmm. I guess the "assembly rear differntial extension tube attacher person" must have been on crack the day my X passed by him at a blistering pace. :rolleyes:
Maybe it's different for Xterras, but my Frontier didn't come from the factory with any breather extension tubes. My breathers are screwed right into the axle housing like you described, airbornenurse.

Here are more links regarding extending the axle breathers:

NOR:
Axle breather

(kev0153 in the above thread didn't have the extensions on his X)

TUNFS:
extending axle breathers?

-Bp

#44956 - 18/10/05 11:41 AM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks BP. I'll add alittle color under your screen name. smile

#44957 - 18/10/05 02:54 PM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by mudx4x4:
Quote:
[b]Wow this is nice info. GOing to have to start relocating. WOOHOO. Water here I come eek . OKay maybe ill wait but, soon.
just becareful with water, i dont have a pic of it, but on our trucks the alternator sits very low in the engine, frying alternators is a common thing people have happen when doing deep water crossings[/b]
It's not the water that's killing the alternators. Clear water has absolutely no ill effect. It's the mud and gunk and all the sticks and branches in the mud that kill alternators.

If anything, clean water is only beneficial because it'll clean it out a little.

#44958 - 18/10/05 02:59 PM Re: differential breather?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by AHTOXA:
Quote:
Originally posted by mudx4x4:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Wow this is nice info. GOing to have to start relocating. WOOHOO. Water here I come eek . OKay maybe ill wait but, soon.
just becareful with water, i dont have a pic of it, but on our trucks the alternator sits very low in the engine, frying alternators is a common thing people have happen when doing deep water crossings[/b]
It's not the water that's killing the alternators. Clear water has absolutely no ill effect. It's the mud and gunk and all the sticks and branches in the mud that kill alternators.

If anything, clean water is only beneficial because it'll clean it out a little.[/b]
yea but how often do you cross nice and clean water? all the water crossings ive done contain mud, some rocks, and whatever else is hiding in there

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal