2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#449613 - 04/10/05 02:59 PM Mushy Brake Pedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

One thing I've noticed about my new '05 is the very mushy brake pedal. Anybody else experiencing this?

#449614 - 04/10/05 03:29 PM Re: Mushy Brake Pedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

What do you mean by mushy brake?? Does the thing go all the way down to the floor?? Do you have EBD on it??

#449615 - 04/10/05 04:53 PM Re: Mushy Brake Pedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Galusha:
What do you mean by mushy brake?? Does the thing go all the way down to the floor?? Do you have EBD on it??
Yeah, have EBD. Doesn't go all the way to the floor, but there is lots of travel. Feels like I'm pushing it through mush until it firms up and travel stops.

#449616 - 04/10/05 05:06 PM Re: Mushy Brake Pedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

"EBD"???????

WTF is that?

#449617 - 04/10/05 05:08 PM Re: Mushy Brake Pedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

electronic brake distribution? yeah. anyway, i'm noticing NO such "mushiness." my brakes if anything are too sensitive. i notice my passengers bobbing their heads due to the more sudden stops.

#449618 - 04/10/05 06:08 PM Re: Mushy Brake Pedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

I rmember reading somewhere here, but I can't remember where, someone likening it to push your foot into tofu! :rolleyes:

#449619 - 04/10/05 06:09 PM Re: Mushy Brake Pedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't have any mushiness as you describe. I to have super sensitive brakes as well. Just today I tried to see how far it took to get the thing to lock up and it wasn't the far of pedal travel before it happened. Something to get used to. If you are having that issue then take it into the dealer and have them check it.

#449620 - 04/10/05 06:40 PM Re: Mushy Brake Pedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 05_X:
"EBD"???????

WTF is that?
Per the Nissan site:

"Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) compensates for additional weight in the rear, whether it’s a full house or a full tank of gas, by sending extra force to the rear brakes".

I do not think this would have anyhing to do with a mushy brake pedal.

#449621 - 05/10/05 12:41 AM Re: Mushy Brake Pedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Hooli:
I rmember reading somewhere here, but I can't remember where, someone likening it to push your foot into tofu! :rolleyes:
That was a statement given in a magazine when they did a review on the Xterra. I dont remember the name of the magazine though. Although I may agree the brake doesnt have that "firm" feel, I must say that it does perform VERY well.

#449622 - 05/10/05 07:28 AM Re: Mushy Brake Pedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

The breaks do stop good, but if you keep pushing the peddle after it's stopped it is very mushy. This was the firs thing I noticed when I drove it off the lot. I think the differnece was between my Intrepid Sport and an SUV. I don't notice the peddle mush at all any more, but if I get into the Intrepid I notice how much more firm the peddle is.

#449623 - 05/10/05 07:46 AM Re: Mushy Brake Pedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
The brakes do stop good, but if you keep pushing the peddle after it's stopped it is very mushy.
My experience exactly.

My opinion is the brakes are excellent, but I have noticed that if you keep pressure on the peddle when you are stopped it does go "soft".

I don't think it is an problem...some would say it is a "feature".

regards,

#449624 - 05/10/05 08:31 AM Re: Mushy Brake Pedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

i put something up on this a while ago. i was gonna upgrade the brakes but haven't found anything out there yet. compared to my last two trucks (superduties with big brakes) these are pretty soft.

i would like to start with a high quality/high performance pad before going crazy with rotors but i haven't found any aftermarket ones yet.

any ideas

#449625 - 05/10/05 09:59 AM Re: Mushy Brake Pedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anybody test drive an 06 yet?
Do the 2006 models have this issue (mushy break pedal)?

#449626 - 05/10/05 10:22 AM Re: Mushy Brake Pedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

My local dealer doesn't even have an 06 on the lot.

#449627 - 05/10/05 10:45 AM Re: Mushy Brake Pedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 05 and test drove 3 different ORs and ALL had what I call a soft brake until it grabs then all is well. I think there is too much travel before the brakes start to work but I'm getting used to it. It was a review that talked about the mushy brakes and I have to agree.
One good thing I get little or no brake dust on this vehicle and so I don't want to rock thr boat if you know what I mean.

Cheers
Billk13 [Wave] [Wave]

#449628 - 06/10/05 07:00 PM Re: Mushy Brake Pedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

My wife drives a 2.5 sentra with 4 wheel disc brakes, they're really good brakes but feel a bit soft as you press on them. My 05 S, feels just like that. However, both vehicles stop on a dime when you slam on the brakes. The vehicle I drove prior to my X was a ranger and it had really tight brakes - touch them and you go thru the windshield... That is not to say that the X has shitty brakes. They're very effective, it just takes some getting used to...

#449629 - 17/03/06 04:34 PM Re: Mushy Brake Pedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anybody know the exact size of the front and rear rotors on the 05/06 Xterra and if the brake calipers/rotors are shared with any other Nissan vehicle? I searched on nissanusa.com and the manual and couldn't figure out the exact rotor dimensions.

#449630 - 17/03/06 04:40 PM Re: Mushy Brake Pedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wouldn't call them mushy, but if one wanted to eliminate the pedal take up, you could weld .050 to .100 " to the end of the rod that actuates the master cyl. just be careful not to make it too long because fluid expansion from heat is the reason there is a gap between the parts anyhow. no gap = rubbing brakes at all times when it gets hot.

old vw bug tricks, I'd have to admit. the rod on veedubs is adjustable btw. of course you can adjust the brakes on those, but 4 wheel discs aren't gonna do anything adjustment wise.

in all likely hood, lengthening the rod would fail as I think maybe the bypass pressure and slop is built into the master cyl.

#449631 - 18/03/06 12:01 AM Re: Mushy Brake Pedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

noticed same "sinking pedal" feel.taking to dealer, but have to wait 3 weeks for service appointment. will post dealer feedback.

funny how quickly dealers can process a sale and get you in a car, and how slow they are when it comes to service/support.

PS: it's "brakes", not "breaks". and "pedal", not "peddle". Did that not strike others, or is it my OCD? Apologies if it's just me.

#449632 - 18/03/06 06:27 AM Re: Mushy Brake Pedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

What's the thing about Tofu? It's not like that at all (have some respect for soy products) [Finger]

I will agree that there is a little initial dead travel on the brake pedal and the pounds-of-brake-force per deceleration G's is lower than on other cars (like my wife's Jeep Liberty). But the big advantage is that you have a more supple braking response in case of a panic stop.

Imagine your mom (or mine) is driving back from Estes Park and finds a deer in the middle of the road. 99% odds are she's going to slam on the brakes. If the brake is too sensitive she would lock the wheels (well only partially because of the ABS) and oversteer... guess... rollover (knock on wood) is very likely. Softer brakes are 'safer' in panic situations.

Car manufacturing engineers have hours of discussions and arguments about how many inches of travel and how hard or sensitive should the brake pedal be. All to come out with thier best solution and still not please the other 50% of the population that likes thier brakes some other way.

One last comment: anyone remember the good old days driving a 1973 Toyota LandCruiser with 4 drum brakes and having to pump the brake twice (all the way) before getting any stopping power at all? And then having to compensate any asymmetric braking with steering wheel? I guess some of you remember.
[Smoking]

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal