shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#450634 - 24/10/07 05:13 PM Towing possibility ...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am looking to purchase a new 2008 X, but will not be getting rid of my 2001. My questions:
1) Has anyone towed an X with an X ?
2) Is it possible to tow an X with an X ?

I am looking to make my 2001 an offroad only truck and will be purchasing a tow dolly with brakes, if this is possible to do. Any comments, advice, blonde jokes?? smile

#450635 - 26/10/07 05:06 AM Re: Towing possibility ...
Anonymous
Unregistered

It would be ideal if your 2001 was a manual transmission and you could tow it four down, not on a dolly. You can do things to tow an automatic transmission vehicle four down, but it's expensive and a pain in the butt.

I have an '05 rated to tow 5K. I assume the '08 also can tow 5K. My '05 weighs around 4400 pounds, I am going to guess a Gen I weighs 3900 or so? With a 600 pound dolly you are at 4500. Your dolly may actually weigh more?

You should be under the weight limit. X's also aren't long, and the dolly shouldn't be either, so you shouldn't have a problem with the length of what you are towing. I'd probably get a dolly with brakes to be safe, but you should be able to do it. You won't be speeding around everywhere, and mileage will be bad, but it'll handle it. Drive safe while towing.

#450636 - 26/10/07 03:48 PM Re: Towing possibility ...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've towed several vehicles with my 06. First was a 92 Isuzu Rodeo, e-brake was sticking so it was more of drag the damn thing. Used 3/4 of a tank going 80 miles. Second vehicle I towed was a 99 S-10 Blazer, went about 60 miles with the brakes not sticking, used less than 1/4 tank. The X pulled both quite easily, the rodeo weighed in at 4000 lbs, and the blazer was 5400 lbs. Stopping the blazer was somewhat interesting, no brakes on the dolly so I had to rely on the brakes on the X. Worked without a problem, but if it was going to be a long term tow I would have used a dolly or trailer with brakes. The rodeo with the dragging brakes wasn't an issue stopping either for obvious reasons.

#450637 - 03/11/07 09:44 AM Re: Towing possibility ...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was at the my dealer the other day and they were playing Nissan adds. One of them said the tow rating on the 08 Xterra was 6500 lbs. Don't know why the increase or if it was just an outright lie, but thought that was interesting.

#450638 - 03/11/07 03:48 PM Re: Towing possibility ...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not that I want to steal your post, but what would the ideal tow rig be?

How big of a pick-up would one need to comfortably tow an Xterra ( or two )? I was thinking one of the big dualy diesel trucks, but I don't know. Any help?

#450639 - 04/11/07 08:43 AM Re: Towing possibility ...
Anonymous
Unregistered

The biggest towing disadvantage I see with my Xterra is fuel economy. when I tow my 21' travel trailer my gas mileage can be as low as 98 mpg. Since we only have a 21 gallon tank it means I have to be careful to plan my route so I can refuel when I need to.

I would love to see a Diesel Xterra in the future.

#450640 - 05/11/07 05:40 AM Re: Towing possibility ...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by night stalker:
I was at the my dealer the other day and they were playing Nissan adds. One of them said the tow rating on the 08 Xterra was 6500 lbs. Don't know why the increase or if it was just an outright lie, but thought that was interesting.
The Nissan web site still shows a towing capacity of 5000 lbs for the 2008.

ed

#450641 - 05/11/07 07:32 AM Re: Towing possibility ...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MXO Chris:
Not that I want to steal your post, but what would the ideal tow rig be?

How big of a pick-up would one need to comfortably tow an Xterra ( or two )? I was thinking one of the big dualy diesel trucks, but I don't know. Any help?
Best tow rig is any full size truck with a DIESEL engine.

Sure, you can tow an X with an X. But when you're going up a hill, unless it's a diesel or a full size w/ a big-arse gasoline engine, it's going to be painful. Not to mention, your fuel mileage will be pathetic, at best.

You don't have to get a dually, though. Duallies are really only needed if you're going to have huge amounts of weight in the bed of the truck. For straight-up towing of a car dolly, dually isn't needed.

You can early 2000s F-250s with a diesel for under $10k, nowadays, really easily. If you're going to be towing quite a bit, it'll be in your best interest to get a real tow rig, and not try to make the next Generation Xterra strain all the time.

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal