shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#454482 - 18/05/07 01:55 PM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not sure that statement would be correct. Sure if you are a serious competiton crawler, the stress put on the driveline is extreme. But the type of crawling you could do in a IFS vehicle isn't going to be anything near the stress of a high speed desert race.

I would love to see the type of rock crawling you are talking about.

This it the type of crawling I do...and the X handles it pretty well.

#454483 - 18/05/07 02:08 PM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

That looks about like your average, difficult, rocky trail. The trail I broke on may have been a bit steeper, but the ledge you are climbing is much larger then the rocks that broke my diff.

I actually climbed a ledge like that earlier though. You wheel like those photos and you will loose both diffs eventually, it is only a matter of time.

#454484 - 18/05/07 02:38 PM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lloyd,

State Farm in Bloomington Illinois has a department called the C.R.A.S.H unit. They track vehicle problems and push manufactures for recalls. If you google State Farm in Bloomington, IL and get the main number you can call them. Tell them you are the brother of a State Farm agent and see if you can get the number to the CRASH unit. I found them out and asked them about an old 1984 300ZX Anniversary Edition Turbo that I owned had a recall and payment for the fuel injectors that would catch on fire. B/C of the Crash unit I was able to get Nissan to refund me $1000.00 I paid for new injectors, etc. 8 years after I had sold the car! (I saved my receipt.)

Also go to another dealership and tip a service guy and see if he can help you. It wont hurt to do that.
(Much cheaper than an attorney.)

#454485 - 18/05/07 03:26 PM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mark, others have brought up the other dealership and the tipping idea. First, they have my VIN in the system now so going to another dealer wont fly I believe. Second, what they are doing is wrong, and they need to step up and face the music.

#454486 - 18/05/07 04:32 PM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

I need a broken M226 rear diff unit.
I am still working on getting performance stuff made to solve our problems and allow us to move on. Problem is I have sent out all my damaged units to manufactures and need another one. If you had a failure and had it replaced under warranty, tell me where. I can get it sent to me by Nissan. The dealer sometimes is told to scrap the pull out. If you have one that trashed itself not under warranty and you want to help the process, I need it. I dont need your ring and pinion, axles or the housing, just the diff carrier itself. Keep all the other stuff as you will need it when the new HD diff comes out to replace the weak ones.

#454487 - 18/05/07 05:13 PM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

PM'd ya Dave. [Wave]

#454488 - 18/05/07 05:21 PM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks bud, I will follow up on this.

READERS,
This does not mean I got one! I am still looking.

#454489 - 18/05/07 08:43 PM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

We will see where and when mine goes as well....

#454490 - 19/05/07 12:22 AM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
Just to add to the extreme conditions that racing puts on the vehicle... I have wheeled Moab many many times... rock crawing at its best.

What Dave puts the XterraRacer is 100x more pounding than the trails we do while rock crawling. If you consider that the 4 spider made it 700 miles, the replacement 2 spider made it 138 miles (I broke that one!), and the replacement 4 spider made it the entire 250 miles at the last race... the 4 spider is definitely stronger. Having riden with Dave now for about 500 miles of racing I can tell you that this is extreme testing on the parts that everyone has in their Xs. Eventually everything will fail... the real joke is the front diff... 3 miles the first race I rode, then 13 miles the second race.

My X is a very early 05 and I am sure it only has the 2 spider... I'm worried and wonder if there will be a recall... would be nice!

Great thread, keep it going.

#454491 - 19/05/07 06:47 AM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

There are definately some advantages to having a race team on board. I am convinced the 4 spider diff will do the job now, once my attorney gets one out of them.

But I am betting we will need an upgrade to make 35" tires a longterm, reliable option.

Yeh, the front diff....That is a ground up rebuild. Trying to keep that in the front diff string.

Dave, I think you can tell those aftermarket suppliers the market is heating up for front and rear diff fixes.

#454492 - 19/05/07 09:03 AM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

Believe me they know. I forward these threads to them. I even send this stuff to Nissan as I feel they need to know how the owners feel. I talk with them about this stuff. I cant say I know what they plan to do, or if anything will be done.

Be patient parts will be here to fix our problems.

#454493 - 20/05/07 04:33 PM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a silly thought today as I picked up GPS on FS trails where the X blew up, hoping the Titan would not. What if the reason for gearing the differentials so high is due to such weak differentials. I mean everybody has wondered ,why so high geared? There would be so much more spunk, and capability with better gearing. I have thought it was gas milage or such. But maybe they had to take stress of the diffs......

#454494 - 21/05/07 06:03 AM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Lloyd Swartz:
That looks about like your average, difficult, rocky trail. The trail I broke on may have been a bit steeper, but the ledge you are climbing is much larger then the rocks that broke my diff.

I actually climbed a ledge like that earlier though. You wheel like those photos and you will loose both diffs eventually, it is only a matter of time.
I have been wheeling that way for a year and a half. I have blown the front diff...but oddly it was on a slight incline with a bit of mud and limited wheel spin. So far the rear has been fine...I just watch the wheel spin now a lot closer than I use to.

#454495 - 21/05/07 09:08 AM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

That seems to be the story, rather then the exception. These breaks occur with no warning and not under very extreme conditions at all.

My second Xterra trip was to Baja and I wheeled way harder climbing out of Mission Impossible. I would have never emagined the rear diff letting go when it did.

#454496 - 21/05/07 03:08 PM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

xterraracer

Quote:
Reply;
If you look at the picture you see that the housing is closed. That you have to remove the ring gear and then you can split the case to get at the spiders. On the the 2 spider diff, it has a large opening on both sides. That allows you to see the spiders, cross shaft etc. On the 4 spider diff, the case has to be closed so the other 2 shafts have material to be mounted into. The difference is so plain that once you understand it you too can tell at a glance.
Perhaps the next time you crack open one of the 4-spider diff cases you could snap a few pics so we can all see what the innards look like.

#454497 - 21/05/07 04:33 PM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by GraniteX:
Perhaps the next time you crack open one of the 4-spider diff cases you could snap a few pics so we can all see what the innards look like.

Sure thing!!! I will try to do that this week as I will be inside a trashed "warranty" one.

#454498 - 22/05/07 07:16 AM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, since the new Jeep Wrangler JK also has a D44 variant with an e-locker, I wonder if JK owners are going to be seeing broken diffs too? Or is it just that Nissan has built a line of vehicles where the diff is the weakest link, instead of something cheaper to replace?

#454499 - 22/05/07 08:15 AM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's a good question. I know the two axles are similar. What the Jeep does hove on it's side is less power.

#454500 - 22/05/07 09:20 AM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

I mentionned earlier in this post that I had a jeep Rubicon with 33 tires and my friend with 35 tires both with Dana 44 and locker and very serious wheeling for years and not a single problem related to the diff . I do not know if Jeep kept same diff on JK.

#454501 - 22/05/07 10:16 AM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jeep had problems with the knuckles on there Dana 44 Rubicon axles, but they were upgraded for the J/K.

I think the key here is a Dana 44 can be made with weak components, and there are better units then others. Nissan went with there very own, special variant, and it was not designed properly.

#454502 - 22/05/07 10:31 AM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

The axles/diffs in the new JK's are different than the 03-06 Rubi's. My 03 Rubi is on 35's and I have no fear of diff failure (or axle failure at this point (Alloy USA front/rear).

If I am not mistaken the D44 in the new JK's are close to the M226 in the X's. I am trying to confirm this.

#454503 - 22/05/07 10:39 AM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

I drained my M226 ( with front and tranny...)at 10.000 KM( not miles ) and refilled with new Syn just to remove break in particles . I can't believe how much little wear things were stuck on my drain magnet and I have not wheeled it yet a single time

#454504 - 22/05/07 10:50 AM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you see actual metal particles or the grey sludge that sticks to the drain plug? The sludge is normal.

#454505 - 22/05/07 12:12 PM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am wondering if given 3-5 years instead of the 2 years so far, whether some of these diffs might start just exploding from street use even? Simply from wear and the high torque loads of these engines?

The more I get into this I think the 05 Xterra should see a 100% front and rear diff recall, along with 04-05 Titan rear, Xterra Front all years, Frontier........$$$$$$$$ eek

#454506 - 22/05/07 12:57 PM Re: Add my Rear Diff to the collection
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:
Did you see actual metal particles or the grey sludge that sticks to the drain plug? The sludge is normal.
Grey sludge sticking to drain plug but like almost chick pee sized and oil coming out was silver color except at the end a little dirty golden oil color

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal