2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45485 - 15/04/04 10:41 PM Noob LSD question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not an Xterra owner but am looking hard at the moment. I have been browsing the boards for a few days, seems like a good group here, lots of good info so thanks for that. I have been beating the hell out of various hatchbacks and otherwise offroad-incapable vehicles for the past 10 years and am going to get some kind of 4x4 in the next couple months.

I am looking for an '04 XE at the moment, 5spd 4x4. This seems to be a pretty rare find on most lots here, and I can't find any that have the 'sport' pkg with the LSD (which is standard on the SE 4x4 if I'm not mistaken). But from browsing the boards it seems as if the LSD used in these trucks is not all that great anyway. I know the basics of an LSD and its usefulness but I am green as far as 4x4 is concerned. Questions are: Do any of you non-LSD 4x4 owners have frequent probs with 2 open diffs, and in what kind of conditions? Is it worth going to the SE trim to get the LSD?

Any stories, advice, comments are appreciated. Hope to get an X in any case and waste lots of time here in the future [ThumbsUp]

#45486 - 16/04/04 04:57 AM Re: Noob LSD question
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Welcome aboard! smile

A lot of your answer hinges on your upgrade plans...

A lot of people start off slow...then want to upgrade the tires...and then they want to lift it and add lockers, armor, etc. Same with other off road rigs...did the same with Jeeps for example (That's the "Jeep Thing" you're not supposed to understand...)

If you think you will want to add lockers in the future...its easier at the present to get them for the non-LSD rear for example.

If you will never upgrade to a locker, the LSD is worth having, as while not great, it is better than nothing, and does make an observable difference.

The only rear locker I am aware of at the moment that you can order and install is the ARB air-locker...figure about $750 or so for the locker...add a few hundered for the air compressor, and whatever a day of labor cost you (Free, if its just you, something per hr if you have to hire a pro, etc.)

Other lockers are coming out, and will be eventually available...so by the time you are ready, there may be other choices as well.

If you procrastinate another 10 months or so...the 2005's will be out, and may even come with a locker as standard (Unsubstantiated rumor...), just to complicate your life/add options.

Hope that helps!

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#45487 - 16/04/04 09:50 AM Re: Noob LSD question
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
An open or LSD has no impact on the installation or availability of a locker for our vehicles at this time. The only option, the ARB, replaces the entire carrier regardless if it's an open carrier or an LSD carrier.
Now, should Powertrax ever a manage to come through with the LockRight locker that they teased over a year ago, it will ONLY go into an open carrier. Same is likely with a Detroit if Tractech were to decide to make one for the 33-spline H233B we have, but that's not even been teased. Tractech did make a complete carrier-replacing locker for the old 31-spline H233B LSD units, but I don't think there will ever be a simple locker made to replace the internals of an LSD carrier.

So, if you want to hold your breath for a Powertrax or Tractech to make a conventional locker for us, the open diff would be the way to go. But considering that it's quite unlikely either will happen at this point, either decide now that you're going to install an ARB and just go with the open one to save some money, or go ahead and get the LSD and use it for what little it's worth. Note that the LSD can be modified for improved performance, but it's not a science yet and results so far appear to be TOO good for most. Find my thread in the Backyard Mechanic section about LSD Modification for more info.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#45488 - 16/04/04 12:52 PM Re: Noob LSD question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks a bunch for the replies.

Since this will be my first 4x4, it's hard for me to say how much the mod bug will get me and what will become necessary over time for the way I'll use the truck. I'm going to have to test the limits of the stock vehicle to see how far I go with upgrades.

For the moment I am going to continue looking for that elusive XE with the sport pkg. But since the market is so soft on SUV's here, I may push and try to get a steal on an SE.

It is kind of a mystery to me why an LSD isn't standard on all X 4x4's though confused

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal