shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#455107 - 28/04/05 06:00 PM 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

I signed the papers for an 05 Xterra Offroad in Knight Armour, which seems to be one of the rare combinations to find right now. My dealer found one 200km and had the sales man go there and drive it 200km back.

I was not informed before this happened.

Besides, at least they could have hauled it back!

So not only are they expecting me to take delivery of a brand new car with 200km on it, but who the hell knows how it was driven back? Ie: the breakin procedure.

One of the worst things you can do to a new engine is travel for a long distance at a constant RPM isn't it?!!

I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow, but now I'm thinking about refusing it.

#455108 - 28/04/05 06:08 PM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's the price you pay for wanting something special that isn't nearby. It costs too much money for the dealership to put it on a semi and haul it, when they can pay someone $10/hour to drive it the distance.

#455109 - 28/04/05 06:11 PM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dude, he had it on the lot before even asking me about it? [Huh?]

How am I supposed to have known it would come from 200km away just because it wasn't there on the lot??? :rolleyes:

#455110 - 28/04/05 06:12 PM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

I say relax - it's probably just fine.

#455111 - 28/04/05 06:55 PM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
Cars are meant to be driven, relax it does have a warranty!!!

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#455112 - 28/04/05 07:04 PM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

i second that. your fine. [Smoking]

#455113 - 28/04/05 07:47 PM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's probably screwed. Is it manual trans? I'll give you $17k (US) for it and you can go buy one with less K's!! smile

#455114 - 28/04/05 08:16 PM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by HardcoreCBR:
Dude, he had it on the lot before even asking me about it? [Huh?]

How am I supposed to have known it would come from 200km away just because it wasn't there on the lot??? :rolleyes:
Yea, you're right. 200km is way too many miles to have on a "new" truck.

Definitely a deal breaker for me. :rolleyes:

#455115 - 28/04/05 08:22 PM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah not something i'd flip out over... although whining a lil might get you some free mats at the least.

#455116 - 28/04/05 10:20 PM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
GrnXnham Offline

Loc: Tacoma, WA
All of the "new" vehicles that I have purchased had at least a few miles on them from other people test driving them. No big deal. My frontier had 150 miles on it. The Xterra had around 100.

#455117 - 29/04/05 03:19 AM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

The fiance's '05 Pathy had 6 miles on it laugh

#455118 - 29/04/05 03:27 AM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
altima Offline

Loc: Michigan
[Crybaby]

#455119 - 29/04/05 03:48 AM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's not really about the amount of km's on it...

It's about improper breakin. A sustained RPM for 2 hours is bad for a new engine.

You're supposed to vary RPM and make sure not to bog the engine so that the compression rings seat properly, to reduce oil consumption and blow-by.

So I'm not sure why all you guys are missing the point and focusing on the number of km's on the odometer. :rolleyes:

#455120 - 29/04/05 04:32 AM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is from the Xterra manual:

Avoid driving for long periods at constant
speed, either fast or slow, and do not run the
engine over 4,000 rpm. Do not accelerate at full throttle in any gear. Avoid quick starts. Avoid hard braking as much as possible. Do not tow a trailer for the first 500 miles (800 km). Your engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.

The question is, what does "Avoid driving for long periods at constant speed, either fast or slow" mean? It conveniently does not define a "long period", but it does define the rpms to stay below (4000). Who is going to define what that period is if there are any engine problems? Couldn't 200km be considered a long period? Again, it's not defined in the manual, so this argument cannot be won or lost from what the actual manual states. Every expert here can chime in, but what's going to count in an arbitration meeting?

[Argue]

#455121 - 29/04/05 05:06 AM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks a lot MikeX, I appreciate the exerpt from the manual (which obviously I don't have yet).

Some manuals (and people) say not do highway driving for the first xx km's either, which I'm sure was done.

The whole point is, when buying a brand new vehicle, why should I have the lingering question in the back of my mind for the next couple of years and possibly get a poorly broken in engine just because some sales manager wanted to save on a haul?

Just because most of the people that posted on this thread don't seem to care about breakin doesn't mean I shouldn't.

#455122 - 29/04/05 05:25 AM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
BradLee Offline

Loc: Black Hills
Quote:
Thanks a lot MikeX, I appreciate the exerpt from the manual (which obviously I don't have yet).

Some manuals (and people) say not do highway driving for the first xx km's either, which I'm sure was done.

The whole point is, when buying a brand new vehicle, why should I have the lingering question in the back of my mind for the next couple of years and possibly get a poorly broken in engine just because some sales manager wanted to save on a haul?

Just because most of the people that posted on this thread don't seem to care about breakin doesn't mean I shouldn't.
Well I here what you are saying, and I would not blame you if you turned it down. I would get some REAL expert advice on the issue. Good Luck.

#455123 - 29/04/05 05:53 AM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
jerseydevi1 Offline

Loc: Yorktown, VA USA
Quote:

Ultimately dude, regardless of what the people around here say, it's your call. My X had 2 miles on it when I got it, so I can't complain. If it makes you that uncomfortable that you are already thinking about it, I'd refuse it. No need to go into a 3-5 year agreement with that over your head.

#455124 - 29/04/05 05:59 AM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
It's annoying that they didn't tell you about it - but really, they dealer was trying to be NICE here...

I was thrilled in 2000 when my dealer searched around and found EXACTLY the X that I wanted and had it driven in for me from Arkansas.... It was a little bit of a frown to hop in my brand new truck and see 300 miles on the odo already... and I had the same concerns about break-in... but it's really not a big deal... and in your case it's only 125 miles.

Relax, take your X and IMMEDIATELY get it coated in mud, and thank the dealer for working so hard for you [ThumbsUp] smile

#455125 - 29/04/05 06:00 AM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

The first dealer did that to me as well. I signed paperwork for 29 miles and when I got ready to drive off I looked down to find that it had 400 miles on it since they had to bring it in from another dealership. mad I walked in handed them the keys and took my check back. Don't take it if you don't want the miles on it. I agree, they should tell you ahead of time about the extra miles on it. I am pleased to say that the next dealership gave me a much better deal and I drove out with only 5 miles on the odometer. Walk away if you don't like it...there are other Xterras.

#455126 - 29/04/05 07:17 AM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
You'll be fine... I picked mine up with 125 miles, mostly salesmen driven miles and doubled it in 2 days. It was probably driven hard then too, but like mentioned it is under warranty.

Enjoy your new X and thank them for putting on those km since you have a long break-in, now that's the part that sucks, before you can fully push the engine.

How do you know it was constant RPMing??? Enjoy and don't worry about it.

#455127 - 29/04/05 07:47 AM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here is a good article http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm on breaking-in a fourstroke engine. The article is mainly about motorcycles, but applies to all fourstroke engines. I break-in my fourstroke motocross bikes this way and don't burn any oil or have blow-by.

#455128 - 29/04/05 07:54 AM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

I knew that article would be posted eventually. :p

I'm not disputing that logic in there actually (I have motorcycles too -- hence my CBR nickname [Wave] ). I know that race engines are often broken in on the dyno hard, in increments of increasing RPMS's with cycles of heating and cooling.

But they are not broken in by chugging along for 2 hrs at the same RPM (like you're likely to have on a 2hr highway drive).

#455129 - 29/04/05 08:14 AM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dude. You're never gonna be happy with the truck if you have these concerns early on. If something goes wrong with it in 2 years you'll be thinking "What if this was caused by it not being broken in properly".

Of course, if you've signed your papers and have walked with the car you are probably screwed. Unless Canadian law differs from the US.

Take the damn thing back and get one with less miles (KMs) and quit your bitching about it is my view.

#455130 - 29/04/05 08:15 AM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, I see that article pop-up sooo many times on the motorcycle forums, so I though I'd post it here, as well.

I know what you mean about chugging along at constant speed for 2 hours at break-in. I had that dilema when I picked up my '02 in Ottawa and had to drive it back to Kingston. Luckily, I drove back late at night and didn't irritate too many drivers with my irregular driving.

#455131 - 29/04/05 08:29 AM Re: 05 Xterra driven 200km before delivery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Honestly, most new cars people buy have miles put on them by people test-driving them...and who knows how they drove on those test drives.

The dealer tried to do you a favor. If you don't want it, then don't take it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal