shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#456221 - 21/10/05 07:40 PM Annoying tailgate squeak
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recently brought my 05 into the shop to have the tailgate check out for a really annoying squeak. It seems the metal tipped panel clips keep coming loose from the tail gate itself. The dealer replaced the panel no problem, he told me it was warped somehow, but the new one is now squeaking. I keep pushing the thing back on but by the next day it has popped off the tail gate in a few places. Is anyone else having this problem or do I have a defective tail gate?

#456222 - 21/10/05 08:24 PM Re: Annoying tailgate squeak
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, I am having the same exact problem. Every so often, I have to open rear door and push in the plastic untill it snaps back in to place. The sound is very annoying. I need to take it in and see what they can do.So they replaced it and it still does it?

#456223 - 21/10/05 09:24 PM Re: Annoying tailgate squeak
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had this problem when I put the emergency road kit in the spot for the first aid kit. The weight from it was pulling the tailgate cover off when it was shut. I took it out of there and the problem is gone. However, I think that if the tailgate cover is supposed to have something in it, it shouldn't pop off when you close it...

#456224 - 22/10/05 03:07 PM Re: Annoying tailgate squeak
NSANY Offline

Loc: Scenic NJ
I just checked out my tailgate and found the plastic is indeed warped and pulling away in spots. There's definitely a one-way connector in there that's no longer connected, and is making a royally painful squeak.

Seems like awfully thin plastic, which might be part of the reason it's warped.

#456225 - 23/10/05 06:27 AM Re: Annoying tailgate squeak
Anonymous
Unregistered

Same here. Mine rattles real bad. I was on a gravel way out there couny road yesterday. I can push on it and the rattle goes away for a while but comes back. The fit on it is bad.

I went to the dealer and the "Assistant Service Manager" just says to leave the vehicle with them. It could take a day or more. They may have to put additional insulation in or two way tape, he doesn't know.

I posted one earlier calling it a rattle. Someone said they had the same problem, pulled the cover and removed some of the clips and the rattle went away.

#456226 - 23/10/05 02:47 PM Re: Annoying tailgate squeak
Anonymous
Unregistered

I took my entire panel off, loaded up the holes for the clips with silicone caulk and reinstalled the panel.

4,000 miles ago and so far so good, Fab.

#456227 - 23/10/05 07:26 PM Re: Annoying tailgate squeak
Anonymous
Unregistered

I took my panel off today. Took about 15 minutes. I put teflon tape around the connectors and put it back on. So far, no squeaks or rattles. It is easy to do. Two screws to take the handle off and two screws where the first aid kit goes. Then just pop it off. To put back on, I held it up, lined it up,put the screws back in where the firs aid kit goes the used a rubber mallet to firmly seat the clips back, then screwed the handle back on. laugh

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal