2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45663 - 04/08/03 05:56 PM 2002 Pully noise
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, I had a funny kind of wooshing noise coming from the engine when idling on my '02 SE/SC. My dealer told me it was the SC making the noise when I picked it up and this was normal. I brought it to my local garage and they knew right away that it was not the SC but one of the pullys. They took of the serpentine belt and started the car for a few seconds and no noise. The guy said that the ac and idler pullys were suspect but when he put the belt back on the noise was gone, any ideas or similar problems???

Thanks

#45664 - 05/08/03 05:58 AM Re: 2002 Pully noise
Bogatyr Offline

Loc: Averill Park NY, USA
nhokt,
Uh, serpentine belt? If you have the supercharger, I assume you have the vg33 engine which shouldn't have a serpentine belt. It should have three, one each for the PS, AC and alternator.
Now, it's conceivable that whatever belt they took off to test was too tight and by removing it and setting the tension properly they removed the noise.
So, did they mention anything about the belt being too tight? I wonder what belt(s) they removed...
In any case, having a belt too tight would eventually damage the bearings on the component it's running...hopefully you caught it in time.
Bogatyr
1966 Land Rover IIa 109" 35k

#45665 - 05/08/03 06:21 AM Re: 2002 Pully noise
Anonymous
Unregistered

I guess I just assumed it was a serpentine belt because it was pretty long and went through a few pullys including the SC. When he took it off he had to fish it through the cooling fan. He didn't say anything about it being to tight but just said that the pulls weren't good (loose). Since the noise went away I guess I will leave it for now, if there is a problem it seems that it won't be a huge situation since the truck ran without the belt, shouldn't it be under warranty?

#45666 - 05/08/03 06:52 AM Re: 2002 Pully noise
Bogatyr Offline

Loc: Averill Park NY, USA
nhokt,
Hmm, well, maybe the supercharged version is a bit different...I dunno confused but it would seem to be a waste to put a serpentine belt in there just for the SC vehicles. I'll bet it was the longer belt that runs the water pump and PS pump.
In any case, you are correct, the warranty should cover some portion of this if a component grenades on you.
Well, any vehicle will run for a short period of time without one or more of the belts, but depending on what they drive, you would be in for a suprise.
My wife's old Integra had the AC idler pulley seize up so hard that the car actually stalled and couln't be driven. Out comes the Swiss Army Knife and we get home. You can't really do that with a belt running the alternator or water pump though.
So, ideally you should have pinpointed where the noise was originating before the belt was removed and what components were driven by said belt. That way you might have an idea if you see other signs of a PS pump or water pump failure of what actually transpired to kill the bearings.
In any case, you're prolly fine as you noticed the noise and took care of it. If it does return, I'd look in to getting whatever ancilliary is complaining replaced.
Bogatyr
1966 Land Rover IIa 109" 35k

#45667 - 05/08/03 09:15 AM Re: 2002 Pully noise
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Bogatyr, I appreciate the advice.

#45668 - 05/08/03 08:27 PM Re: 2002 Pully noise
Anonymous
Unregistered

It was definitely not the fan. It was making a sort of oscilating wine noise that was most prominent at idle, no matter how warmed up the truck was. As soon as we took the belt off the noise stopped and has not returned after we reinstalled it.

Strange but the best I can figure (as Bogatyr suggested) is that the belt tension was off. It doesn't seem worth it to pursue getting the suspect pully's replaced since they no longer make noise, but if it comes back I definitely will.

I just wish the dealer would have taken a look at it before I picked it up instead of just saying it was the SC and the noise was normal.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal