shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#460445 - 01/05/08 09:51 PM Rust on my 2008!
Anonymous
Unregistered

My new 2008 Nissan Xterra is pretty rusty underneath. Look at its exhaust--and its spare tire rim!!

Please tell me I didnt just buy another 'Nissan hardbody'!

Pictures of my brand new truck!

#460446 - 01/05/08 10:46 PM Re: Rust on my 2008!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would take it to the dealer ASAMFP. If they say its just cosmetic, punch the dude right in the teeth. Then ask him again... Rinse and repeat.

Seriously, I'd take that in. Also, how many miles were on it when you bought it?

#460447 - 02/05/08 01:01 AM Re: Rust on my 2008!
Anonymous
Unregistered

The exhaust is what concerns me.

#460448 - 02/05/08 07:20 AM Re: Rust on my 2008!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by FingerSled:
The exhaust is what concerns me.
I'd expect some level of corrosion on the exhaust. Maybe not so much on the spare, but the exhaust isn't that surprising. Now I'll have to check my '07 to see what's going on down there.

Did you wash it frequently over the winter to get the salt off?

#460449 - 02/05/08 07:41 AM Re: Rust on my 2008!
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
Where do you live? That looks like surface rust on the exhaust. Not a real big deal. My xterra that I had in MN had the same thing. I had it for 2 years without issue.

#460450 - 02/05/08 01:40 PM Re: Rust on my 2008!
Anonymous
Unregistered

they have a rust warranty. I have about the same thing going on my 05' and I have only seen snow when I drive to the Sierras. It is pretty normal but given how new your truck is I'd take it to the dealer and see what they can do. But I'd bet that the same thing happens...the body of the Nissans don't rust anymore, I have an 84' 300ZX that I had to to cut out mother rust twice but she's rust free now and parked in the garage an only sees water for washing. I think that you shouldn't panic, but given how new it is get a good service writer to have a look.

#460451 - 15/05/08 12:55 PM Re: Rust on my 2008!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Normal. Every vehicle I've owned had some rust in the locations you've mentioned. My 05 Xterra was no different. Here are pics from mine when it was new:

My spare wheel is an alloy, so no rust.

Here are pics of our 06 Jeep when it was new:

Neither vehicle has any more noticible rust a couple of years later.

Frame rust, okay. Driveshaft rust, okay. Exhaust surface rust, okay. Body rust, big issue! Still hurts to see a "new" vehicle with any rust. [Freak]

#460452 - 16/05/08 10:51 PM Re: Rust on my 2008!
Anonymous
Unregistered

""Frame rust, okay. Driveshaft rust, okay. Exhaust surface rust, okay. Body rust, big issue! Still hurts to see a "new" vehicle with any rust.""

"Frame rust, okay."-- No it's not!

"Driveshaft rust, okay."-- No it's not!

"Exhaust surface rust, okay."-- No it's not!

"Body rust, big issue!"--Body rust had better not be an issue! If these things still rust like they did in the '1980's-early 1990's' Ill be the laughed azz idiot of my street!!!.

Im really disappointed with the underneath apperance of my truck considering it only has 2700Kms.

#460453 - 19/05/08 06:47 AM Re: Rust on my 2008!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I guess you'll NEVER buy a new vehicle again. wink

They ALL come this way, right from the factory. Take a peek when they're still on the transporter truck.

Surface rust on raw steel is normal. It's rare to see a painted driveshaft, but did have that on a 1990 Amigo, but it still had chassis rust.

How do I "know" it's okay? Because these rusty items have never failed in all my years of driving. The salt here in FL, 10 minutes from the ocean, eats up vehicles, but the things you see rusted already aren't what fail. Even restored a '66 Chevelle SS. Everything orginal ('cept the BIG motor), including the lightly rusted chassis & driveshaft. Close to 500 HP, running gear held up fine to the punishment. Quarter panels had to be refurbished due to all the rust.

If you're that concerned, get some POR-15 and start painting... Otherwise you'll just have to live with it. It's only cosmedic.

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal