2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#461862 - 17/08/05 09:28 AM Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since I thought that calmini would have been producing thier front winch bumper for the 05 X by now, and Jim at Shrockworks seems to have one coming down the pipeline very quickly my question for the 05X's is "Who will have one for
sale first?"

My cold beer goes to Jim @ Shrockworks since he seems to be on track alot faster than Calmini.

There is no Flaming for either manufacturer just want to see what everyone else's thoughts are that own an 05X and want a front winch bumper...

#461863 - 17/08/05 09:48 AM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
There are always going to be 2 sides to this type of "WAR." I hope that either manufacturer will produce a quality bumper that is safe and functional to the vehicle/driver/passenger.

The issues behind Calmini are more than skin deep. I have been on the phone with Steve several times and he has explained why the delay. Things should kick up for them in the next 4 weeks. My order remains with them on the rear bumper (and sliders... and lift). Perhaps he is intentionally waiting for Jim to produce the first bumper??? I don't know.

Patience... want to go play in the rocks but don't have the protection needed.

I would like to hear Steve have an opportunity to update us on where they are at before letting your post dictate their reputation.

#461864 - 17/08/05 09:48 AM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Anonymous
Unregistered

If had to do it again I would go with the Shrock bumper and not my ARB. THe approach angle is better and it has true recovery points on it. This is just what I have read and seen on pictures. As far as looks go I like the Calmini. Function before looks.

As far as waiting, thats just part of the game, your talking "small" business trying to accomidate thousands of Xterra and Fronty owners.

#461865 - 17/08/05 09:49 AM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Calmini has been talking front bumper orders for a long time. I don't know if any finished bumpers have been delivered to their owners, but Calmini is definitely ahead of Shrockworks on this one.

However, I'm still gonna wait for more details on the Shrockworks bumber before I decide witch one to get. I am hoping they will have a cutout for the factory fogs because I don't want to loose mine.

#461866 - 17/08/05 01:06 PM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Anonymous
Unregistered

is there any hard date on either one of those bumpers?

#461867 - 17/08/05 03:46 PM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Anonymous
Unregistered

I still think that Calmini will ultimately be the way to go. Their bumpers are designed to accommodate integrated-solenoid winches, which is where winch technology is headed.

#461868 - 17/08/05 04:49 PM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
The Shrock takes winches with both integrated AND non-integrated solinoids, no problem. Don't know where the confusion came from.

laugh

I also think that its a better bumper, with thicker steel, better powder coat, and a more functional design.

I like the look better as well, but thats just form...and I'm more of a function guy anyway.

The Shrocks just work better, and, I'd wait for it even if it took longer than the calmini.

That said, not every one cares about approach angles, impact resistance, tire clearance, powder coat quality, shackle mounts, fog cut-outs, thicker metal DOM tubing, etc...most just get what they think looks cool, and...most people seem to like whatever it is they chose...because they choose the one that meets their needs/wants...so, there's really no wrong answer for each person when they make an informed choice.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#461869 - 17/08/05 05:26 PM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Shrock Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Bumper wars huh? laugh Well, nothing wrong with a little friendly competition and choice is always good for the consumer and the market as a whole.

No hard ETA on our bumper. We should have a prototype to look at in a week or two though.

#461870 - 17/08/05 07:41 PM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Anonymous
Unregistered

i will be watching for them i really want to pick one up asap! Would love to have it for work use as well as getting myself out of a jam!

#461871 - 17/08/05 07:43 PM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
The Shrock takes winches with both integrated AND non-integrated solinoids, no problem. Don't know where the confusion came from.....
There is no confusion.

It accomodates the integrated solenoid winch the same way the ARB does. Inside and 90 degrees from the way the winch was designed to be mounted.

One of the key points of an integrated solenoid winch is to have everything front and center to monitor/solve any problems. Why hide it underneath the bumper?

Don't say security, as underneath is no more secure.

#461872 - 17/08/05 07:48 PM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Anonymous
Unregistered

jeffw is it possible to mount a non intergrated i have a ramsey rep8000 from the jeep i blew up. it is a great winch only used it about 5 times so i dont really want to get rid of it.

#461873 - 17/08/05 08:43 PM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Anonymous
Unregistered

rep 8000 should fit fine. Verify before you buy, though. I haven't seen the specs on the newest models.

#461874 - 18/08/05 01:58 AM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Anonymous
Unregistered

i have to say im more than happy with all my clamini stuff i got in a wreck with my bumper and 3 inch suspension and all it has is one little dent in the bumper my frame on the other hand is jacked and there still trying to staiten it i have to say well done calmini on all your prodcts but on the other hand i have srocks sliders and love those to

#461875 - 20/08/05 09:05 PM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Calmini makes a superior product with but one Achilles heel. Their powdercoating SUCKS.

End result. A $27,000 vehicle with a RUSTY bumper at both ends. Look else where bud.

If appearance means nothing to u, go with calmini. They make a beautiful bumper. But it only stays that way for bout 2 weeks.

The [powde3rcoating on mine started with the edges and it came off in entire strips. From there it worked its way inward.

So there is a good side to having wrapped my 03 around that tree that refused to move.

The tree was OBVIOUSLY just trying to help me scare the rust off of my bumpers:)

#461876 - 21/08/05 10:29 PM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had the same problem with mine. Powdercoat came off in strips.If I get one for my 2005, I think I will have the powdercoat redone myself before I put it on. Hate that dull grey color anyway!

#461877 - 24/08/05 09:19 PM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Shrock Offline

Quote:
Why hide it underneath the bumper?
This is definitely one of those no right answer/personal preference things. We do an exposed winch design on some of our other bumpers like this Sidekick/Tracker bumper we just completed:

The reason I didnt on the X was bec the grill sticks out so far.

With a standup intergrated solenoid, all that space is wasted under the grill and the bumper sticks out a good 4-5" further than it needs to. Look how tight the edge of the bumper is to the grill here:

To stand up a integrated solenoid winch in front of the grill, the bumper has to be moved out quite a bit. I didnt want to have it sticking out that much further than necessary.

#461878 - 24/08/05 10:19 PM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Claus Offline

Jim,

How far are you with the design of the 05 bumper?. Looking at the radiator and how low it goes I have a concern with the overall improvement of the approach angle. can you elaborate on what you have found so far?

#461879 - 25/08/05 09:14 AM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Shrock Offline

Claus, I wouldnt want to approach much with the stock bumper and no skid plate. If you dont clear it, things get ripped off. That goes for about any vehicle though.

Keep in mind, it's rare that you have to attack an obstcale as wide as the truck head on. They are usually narrower (boulders) or if they are as wide as the truck (like a ledge) you attack them at an angle. In these cases clearance at the tires is what matters most. You'll probably gain at least a foot here.

Plus, with a steel bumper and skid, you can just ramp up things if you want.

The radiator really becomes a non-issue with a good skid. It's still higher than the crossmember. I think the pure approach angle will be similar to better than the previous gen, certainly not much worse.

Prototype sneak peak pic posted here: Mfg Row

#461880 - 07/09/05 09:44 PM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Anonymous
Unregistered

mad Is this war being waged as a chess game played via mail sent by pony express?

A little more action would make the "war" more interesting [Sleep]

#461881 - 07/09/05 10:17 PM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Claus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by dnorton:
mad Is this war being waged as a chess game played via mail sent by pony express?

A little more action would make the "war" more interesting [Sleep]
you high?, dude your post makes no sense

#461882 - 07/09/05 10:32 PM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Anonymous
Unregistered

No sense? Thats OK. Just venting a little frustration. When was the last we have heard something new from Jim? Maybe ~ 2 weeks ago.

And Calmini? maybe 2 MONTHS ago.

Armor for the 05 may not be slower than expected, but certainly slower than desired.

My $$ is still on Shrock to actually deliver product 1st - and I suspect both suppliers will ultimately deliver good and solid bumpers, with differing features, +s and -s. cool

#461883 - 08/09/05 06:48 AM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think he's just busy. He's working on Rear Bumper and Skid Plates too. BTW, the last time he posted was about that, on september 3rd. He's not very far. wink

#461884 - 13/09/05 02:11 PM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Anonymous
Unregistered

a nother way to solve the powdercoating issue is to have spray on bedliner sprayed on it i had it done to my bumper and it made it look way better i had line-x spryed it costed me 110 for it

#461885 - 14/09/05 11:58 AM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Anonymous
Unregistered

from Fastdrmr today re: the latest response from Calmini on bumpers:

4. Bumpers - rears will be produced first. These should be out also before end of September. As mentioned elsewhere, only 3 orders have been placed. Front bumpers are going to be next... only 2 orders. [Uh Oh !]

#461886 - 14/09/05 01:57 PM Re: Shrockworks VS Calmini "BUMPER WARS"
Anonymous
Unregistered

The question is, how many people buy a product sight unseen? I know there will be your diehard Calmini fans that will buy it just because of brand, but how many of them have 05's?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal