shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46287 - 10/01/02 07:55 AM Re: MAS Problems?
lexicon5 Offline

Loc: St. Louis
Quote:
Not checking the current (1-1-02) TSB Cd. Just a matter of re-programing the ECU and your done.

Note: this is ONLY applicable to the 2002 S/C Xterra's and Frontier's.

Nut[/QB]

I'm on the phone with the dealer............he is checking the TSB dated 1-1-02. He also talked to Nissan, they said they were not going to release the fix until 1-15-02. He said that it was unbelievable that I am able to find out about a fix before Nissan releases it........so he is checking again with Nissan.

#46288 - 10/01/02 11:39 AM Re: MAS Problems?
Nut Offline

Loc: Calif
Quote:
Originally posted by lexicon5:

I'm on the phone with the dealer............he is checking the TSB dated 1-1-02. He also talked to Nissan, they said they were not going to release the fix until 1-15-02. He said that it was unbelievable that I am able to find out about a fix before Nissan releases it........so he is checking again with Nissan.

Bullshit, nothing but BULLSHIT. As stated before the dealers are ordering/replacing the Air Flow Meters because they are not che cking for the TSB. It is currently available and downloadable from the 1-1-02 Cd into thier Consult Diagnostic Equipt. and then uploadable into your specific veh ECU. The only criteria is the Current ECU software #. Nissan is well aware of the problem and advising the dealers to NOT replace the Air flow Meter but to reprogram the ECU for that specific fault code and veh, ie. Air Flow Meter fault on a S/C 2002 Xterra or Frontier.

Sounds like they either don't know how to due it (it is kind of a PITA) or they haven't loaded the most current Cd.

Good Ruck,
Nut

:rolleyes:

#46289 - 11/01/02 07:26 AM Re: MAS Problems?
lexicon5 Offline

Good news, bad news........
Nut........you're right. It requires a reprogram of the ECU...........now, after I was on the phone with the tech, he called Nissan and found out the scoop............Nissan told him yesterday that yes in fact a reprogram is what will fix it........but........the total procedure is not going to released until Jan 15th. I asked if I could get my X back if I promised not to drive like Steve McQueen until then, Nissan will not release my vehicle due to safety concerns.

So, it looks like dvldog, you're gonna need to take another trip back to your dealer........still unclear as to if this is a Auto trans only issue.........

#46290 - 11/01/02 10:10 AM Re: MAS Problems?
dvldog458 Offline

Loc: NJ
Sounds good Lex.
Good job stayin on their ass.

1991 F-250 4x4
13" lift w/40"x18" Super Swampers Boggers

SEMPER FI

http://www.damageincmxphoto.com/whitezombie.htm

#46291 - 11/01/02 11:31 AM Re: MAS Problems?
Nut Offline

FWIW: The update is currently available. Sounds like the dealer hasn't updated his TSB info or has another internal problem to put you into a holding pattern until next week. I've seen the Cd and I've seen the applicable program. Maybe we just get the info sooner on the Left Coast.

laugh

#46292 - 13/01/02 05:27 PM Re: MAS Problems?
lexicon5 Offline

No clue.....it could be that since California has such strict emissions laws/standards that it is a different fix for that states vehicles.

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: lexicon5 ]

#46293 - 14/01/02 07:40 PM Re: MAS Problems?
lexicon5 Offline

Got my X back tonight.......12 days without.....man was I ready.
Nut was correct...a re-program of the ECU appears to have done the trick.
I've stomped and romped trying to get it to screw up again..........
No problems so far.

#46294 - 15/01/02 01:00 PM Re: MAS Problems?
ACEmaster Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Hey Fellas,

Excellent work on the research and information on this issue.
My X is doing the same thing, I thought it was the gas (maybe Gate's 93 is really only 89, etc), but this sheds a tremendous light on the whole subject.
I just called my dealer and the technician said that he is full aware of the situation and that it is the ECU, additionally that they were told not to order anymore AIR units and to cancel any on back order.
So I am scheduled for Thursday morning to get reprogrammed.

Thanks again!
Silver Ice 2002 S/C SE 4x4

#46295 - 15/01/02 08:45 PM Re: MAS Problems?
lexicon5 Offline

Question for all you experts........
Is it possible for my gas mileage to have gone way up because of the reprogram?

I hit it hard tonight, on and off of the highway several times, passing gear......everything that had caused it before and nothing........I'm cured.......

#46296 - 19/01/02 06:38 AM Re: MAS Problems?
RickW Offline

Loc: Tampa Florida
Road report in recent magazine suggest SC is NOT online full time (surprise to me) but only at "Full Throttle" which means something has to control it. No info about this in online Owner's Manual. Perhaps this is source of random loss of power. I welcome others input.

#46297 - 19/01/02 01:55 PM Re: MAS Problems?
lexicon5 Offline

This is erroneous info.........
A roots type blower, which this is, is turning as long as the engine is running.
A. It is belt driven
B. There is a shaft that connects to the rotors
C. There would be no point in a part time blower.
D.. There is no clutch that "turns on" at a certain RPM.
Anybody who watched Mad Max and saw him hit a switch to "turn on " the blower was watching Hollywood
directorial license.

Check this site for pictures of the blower, not unlike the one on the SE/SC Xterras. http://www.theoldone.com/articles/damaged-blower/

The rotors DO NOT turn inwards, they spin away from each other and drag the air around the walls of the housing. Since the tolerances are so very tight, there is
not enough room for air to squeeze around the rotors and into the engine if it were not turning.

As far as the performance issue.....it is the ECU that needs reprogramming. I am not positive but I think that there were some ECU installed into the SC models that were for the normally aspirated engines. The programming did not take into account the added pressures and such.

Another link with a good description of what a blower does: http://www.tpub.com/engine3/en32-5.htm

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: lexicon5 ]

#46298 - 20/01/02 06:13 PM Re: MAS Problems?
lexicon5 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RickW:
Road report in recent magazine suggest SC is NOT online full time (surprise to me) but only at "Full Throttle" which means something has to control it. No info about this in online Owner's Manual. Perhaps this is source of random loss of power. I welcome others input.

What they might mean is that the SC is not very effective at lower RPM.

#46299 - 22/01/02 07:53 AM Re: MAS Problems?
LOCHS 2 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by lexicon5:

What they might mean is that the SC is not very effective at lower RPM.

...which is a good thing if you want to get anywhere near an average of 15-17 MPG

#46300 - 22/01/02 10:26 AM Re: MAS Problems?
PlatnumToof Offline

Loc: Mukilteo, WA
I had the MAS problem at 2,000 Miles. Got a new sensor and everything has been peachy for the last 4,000 miles. We'll see how long it lasts.

platnumtoof@hotmail.com

#46301 - 24/01/02 03:09 PM Re: MAS Problems?
RickW Offline

Loc: Tampa Florida
Lex: Thanks for S/C Primer. Sounds logical and possible that journalist had "erroneious info", saw post in another thread about modified pulley discussing "bypass valve" in back of housing. Wonder if this is what they were talking about (no forced induction below 3000). I agree this would be strange arrangement and don't understand how low end rpm would suffer that much from S/C. Also wonder if this accurately describes system, and how does it handle the "shock" of sudden induction boost at whatever RPM the valve closes. Hope you can understand my confusion. It relates to intake and exhaust mods that seem popular on normally aspirated models, which may not be a good idea in an attempt to achieve higher power. Can't seem to get much tech support from dealer. Appreciate your patience and welcome your system knowledge.

#46302 - 26/01/02 04:21 PM Re: MAS Problems?
superchargedsedona Offline

Loc: Northern California
same deal, dealer has upgraded computer codes now!

#46303 - 16/10/02 04:30 PM Re: MAS Problems?
Gster Offline

Loc: Cypress, California
Help!!

My X did the other day as I was going from 4th gear to 5th on the freeway. I pulled over, restarted the X and away I went along with the "service engine soon" light on. Cerritos Nissan found a P0103 MAF SEN/Circuit code and would not further diagnose the problem because of my Stillen cold-air intake. the problem I had appears to be related to this post. Gave the dealer and the Nissan consumer advocate the 01-01-02 TSB CD info. I'm currently working with Nissan Consumer Advocate (NCA) as the dealer wont return my calls. She (NCA) stated the dealer said there are no known SC and MAS issues let alone an ECU code upgrade. Can any one out their give me the name and telephone number from the dealers mentioned in this thread who are aware of this issue. Can any of you remember the error code you received when this happened? They're really beginning to piss me off!

#46304 - 16/10/02 04:33 PM Re: MAS Problems?
Gster Offline

Correction - My X died the other day........

#46305 - 16/10/02 06:36 PM Re: MAS Problems?
lexicon5 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Gster:
Correction - My X died the other day........
The fix was released last Jan 2002 or Feb 2002. It has to do with the wrong module being installed in the SC models. A simple reprogram makes it right as the SC parameters are included......
Yours could be a different issue. In the cases that I know of.....mine included......the engine did not die it just went into protect mode limiting RPM to 2k.

You would have had the problem right out of the gate......it is not something that would occur weeks or months after purchase.....
The first time I hit passing gear is when it happened to me.....

#46306 - 17/10/02 08:20 AM Re: MAS Problems?
Gster Offline

Now that you mentioned it, I can't say it died. Don't recall the dash lights coming on. Just pulled over and shut it down then restarted.

I didn't just purchase the vehicle true but I just moved from Colorado where the air density is significantly less than sea level. Was only getting 5 lbs boost in CO. I'm thinking this could be a factor why it's occurring now if it is the same issue. Do you still have your receipt from Nissan, as it should list the error code you had when yours failed. Would like to make sure either way, as I'm getting no help from the dealer.

#46307 - 17/10/02 05:37 PM Re: MAS Problems?
lexicon5 Offline

I can't remember if I had a receipt.......warranty work.....rental cars paperwork......money never changed hands....too long ago.

I know the tech had to bug Nissan about it and was a little PO'd that the info and fix for it made it to the Internet before he even received the bulletin.....
My third trip in is when I told them of the info gathered here. Nissan made sure that they did not release the car to me until the fix was released by them to the dealers and applied to my vehicle. The dealers all have access to the internet....point them here if they do not believe you.
It is an EXTREME safety hazard.....in my case the first time it happened, I was on a 5 lane and 4 lanes away from safety when I lost all power in RUSH hour......NOT the time for that to happen!!

Mt dealer is Suntrup Nissan Volkswagen at 6000 S. Lindbergh St. Louis, MO.

#46308 - 17/10/02 08:20 PM Re: MAS Problems?
Nut Offline

Gster,
The code set for that specific problem is for the Air Flow Meter which is why people were replaceing them initially. The dealer who pulled the fault code should be able to supply you the ECU # (it prints at the top of the print-out which lists the fault codes automagically) and then compare that to the application in the TSB. It shouldn't be rocket science but sounds like the dealer is being way more then difficult.

confused

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal