2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#464928 - 08/03/05 04:38 PM " 2005 OFF - ROAD TEST DRIVE "
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here it goes. I have had the pleasure of taking an '05 Off-Road 'X' for a spin. The whole experience went kind of smooth, but you do have to show them who's the boss right of the bat, or they'll eat you alive. I was looking into switching from my '02 X to the '05. I've been waiting for the thing to come out for a long time. At first, I did not like the look. I'm still not used to it yet. If I get one, the bumper is the first thing to go, as I got a TJM Bull Bar on mine, and I saw the Calmini one. Personally, I think that the '07 will go back to the round head lights again (i hope). I saw the car in person at the auto show and was still a bit skeptical. That Bumper cover is really messing up the look for me. I do like all the other improvements. No carpets in the cargo area is a big plus if you camp out as much as I do. The back seat fold back instead of coming out, and few other things. The best things that have gotten me is the wider wheelbase and a new power-train. 175hp does not cut it for a car of this weight. So now, moving right along to the test drive. I have not had a chance to drive the SE or S, but the Off Road is a pretty stiff ride. When I got back to my 02-X, I was glad to be back. Mine is pretty stiff also, but is not that "bumpy". All pot-holes and bumps were felt. I really do not mind that though. I do like them like that. It seemed like the new X was insulated a bit better and there was less noise entering the interior. The engine noise made up for it though. So I guess that it might come out even. I would preffer to hear the engine over the outside noise anyday. I did have a chance to take it onto the highway, and punched it right off the get go. It sure has some nice pick-up. Not like the 3.5 Pathfinder or the Murano, but very nice. Handling is very nice and there is less wind noise compared to the previous X. I do drive on highways alot and the wind noise is really unpleasant. I do wonder if there is as much noise when you drive over rocks or in the rain, as it is in the previous ones. I would have to drive it again before I would made my final decision. My thoughts at this moment are, that if you still have quite of a loan on your X, try to get it down below the value of the car before you start thinking of the trade. Test drive the model that you want and see if you think that there is that much difference and if it is worth you getting into a new loan. I suppose that if you are looking into a new suv or you are just really tired of your 00-01, the new X is the way to go. Otherwise, stick with the one you have and save for a bigger downpayment. Wait untill the dealers have good deals on the new ones. That is really what it comes down to, the Good Deal. You have to compare the money invested into the new X and replacing your X for the new. Balance it out and see if its worth it at the present time. I just enjoy my X and won't be making that transaction anytime soon. Unless, I can find a Solar-Yellow/Off-Road Model. No dealer seems to have them here yet. Hope this helps, If I think of anything else, I'll add it. Untill then, Have a Great Week/End...Depends when you're reading this.

#464929 - 09/03/05 06:10 AM Re: " 2005 OFF - ROAD TEST DRIVE "
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll be one of those waiting a few months, until the stealerships get a bigger inventory (esp. the OR), and start dealing.

Just this last Sunday, I notice my dealer still had 11 '04 on the lot, along with 5 new '05. The '04 were not moving before ,and they still aren't moving.

#464930 - 09/03/05 08:29 AM Re: " 2005 OFF - ROAD TEST DRIVE "
Anonymous
Unregistered

A little misleading in your heading for your topic. I thought you took one offroad on the test drive. Oh well

#464931 - 09/03/05 09:24 AM Re: " 2005 OFF - ROAD TEST DRIVE "
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, appologize for that. They're too new for anyone to have, that would take them to dirt, and you know the stealers. I was lucky to take it on highway. Not that I would let them tell Me 'NO', cause I'm the customer. But lucky that there was a highway close by. It's nice to finally find a site that people do take these to dirt. Around here there is a ton of 'X' driving around, but people use them as daily drivers and not many off road enthusiast. Xterra is a very popular SUV here. I was actually thinking of making a club, but again, not many enthusiasts. People buy them cause it fits the budget. I am planning to test drive the SE and S models within the next 3 weeks. So,I'll post my thoughts on those. I'm wondering if the suspension on the SE and S is still stiff, yet comfortable for the city streets. Untill than, Have a Great Day.

#464932 - 09/03/05 09:55 AM Re: " 2005 OFF - ROAD TEST DRIVE "
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
Funny you think they are too new. Actually on my 01 with 600 miles I was already in Moab.

This time around I have not taken it down there yet for a handful of reason... one being tires, I want to get rid of the soft Rugged Trails and get the BFG A/T but in the 33. Can't do that till the 5" lift is out so I will wait on wheeling it. I am also taking ARE exams so I am busy.

But, it isn't about it being too new... I'm ready to go today if I had the right shoes on! wink

#464933 - 09/03/05 11:01 AM Re: " 2005 OFF - ROAD TEST DRIVE "
Anonymous
Unregistered

I suppose that you are right. But it is a bit of getting used to driving it at first, and with those shoes on I wouldn't take it to the dirt either. Unless it is a light camping trip. I did get mine dipped in dirt shortlly after I got mine back in '02 also. I was less worried about it getting danged up though, than I would be with the new one. I do enjoy the round headlights though and for that reason I might just wait with hopes of them comming back. Congratualtions on the New 'X'. May it serve you well. Few twiks here and there and the car will be perfect.

#464934 - 09/03/05 11:03 AM Re: " 2005 OFF - ROAD TEST DRIVE "
Anonymous
Unregistered

P.S. I ment that No One seems to have one here yet. Other than the dealers I have not seen any on the road. And who's gonna let me get that brand new truck dirty, unless they are hardcore off roaders? Take Care.

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal