shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46640 - 05/02/01 05:19 PM Re: Ignition System Upgrade?
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Ahhh, Ian, I must wholeheartedly agree. As an X motorcycle racer, I must say there is no rush like hitting 150, grabbing a handful of brake, laying the bike down on your knee, carving a corner, and then accelerating to the next corner. I can't imagine too many feelings more incredible than that. Certainly flying a jet would be better, but that's about the only one I can think of. But hey, I've never taken a Civic to a dragstrip so I guess I can't say.

------------------
Eric Konarske
'01 Solar Yellow XE 3 Pk. 4x4

#46641 - 06/02/01 06:06 AM Re: Ignition System Upgrade?
BlackKnightX Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I think you should lower the X, it will make it more aerodynamic when 4 wheeling.

And of course type R stickers help too.

------------------
Super Black
00 XE V-6 4x2

#46642 - 16/02/01 03:53 PM Re: Ignition System Upgrade?
xtothez Offline

Loc: Sacramento, Ca, USA
are nology wires suppressive or non-suppressive?
they don't mention it on their website
http://www.nology.com/hot.html

[This message has been edited by xtothez (edited 02-16-2001).]

#46643 - 19/02/01 06:35 PM Re: Ignition System Upgrade?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
Now - will the brain of the X circumvent these modifications? Or will it improve the system overall? Has anyone tried playing with the ignition system?

I wouldn't go to a hotter plug. This could possibly screw something up. I'm sure there are resources out there backing this up. Whatever the stock plug gap spec is, run your plugs on the upper spec, as you already know a bigger gap = bigger spark.

IF the stock ignition system is BORDERLINE, you will notice an increase in fuel economy and maybe power if you beef it up with a better coil (Does the XTERRA have a single coil, or does it have distributorless ignition with coils for each wire?) Then you can also run a slightly bigger gap.

The clubs I belong to (Merkur XR4Ti) have found platinum plugs last longer than normal plugs, but their performance level is lower than normal plugs. On our cars normal plugs last 1 year then they start breaking up at high RPM under high boost levels. We opt to run Champion Copper plugs and change them every year. We have also found the MSD-6 systems cause a power LOSS in our cars, but our cars have an extremely strong ignition system that has no trouble producing 650 hp (4 cyl turbo) in one past Ford engineer's Bonneville top speed race car.

How hard is it to change the plugs in the XTERRA? If its easy, I'd stick with normal style plugs (Champion copper, NGK copper) and change them every 1-2 years. They are cheap, and work good.

I'm on this board to learn about XTERRAs, I plan to buy one this summer.

------------------

#46644 - 27/02/01 10:34 AM Re: Ignition System Upgrade?
xtothez Offline

Loc: Sacramento, Ca, USA
got this response from Nology.....
don't know why this guy used ALL CAPS and don't know why he would rather talk on the phone than to simply respond to my inquiry regarding cost of a set of "hot wires"

WE HAVE MADE HOT WIRES FOR THE XTERRA, IT WOULD BE

EASIER FOR ME TO EXPLAIN THE BENEFITS OVER THE PHONE.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CALL ME AT 760-591-0888

#46645 - 27/02/01 12:05 PM Re: Ignition System Upgrade?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by xtothez:
got this response from Nology.....
don't know why this guy used ALL CAPS and don't know why he would rather talk on the phone than to simply respond to my inquiry regarding cost of a set of "hot wires"

Probably so he can pitch the schpiel.

Just go here for HotWires details and save your nickel...

------------------
2001 Solar Yellow SE 4x4 V6 5spd

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal