2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46809 - 30/06/04 02:07 AM Automatic Trans Problems
Anonymous
Unregistered

My sons 2001 Xterra with 70k has developed a problem. The transmission is slow to go into reverse and drive. We took it by AAmco yoday. They said the computer says everything is fine no codes nothing. They said the engine is strong as well.

They say the only way to check the transmission any more is to open it up. They say this will mean it will cost at least $1200.00 to open it up and rebuild it.

Does this make sense at all. 70k just sounds really low miles to rebuild a tranny.

#46810 - 30/06/04 07:05 AM Re: Automatic Trans Problems
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
How slow is "slow" in your terms? Is it just a minor bother to you, or is it actually affecting things to the point you feel it must be addressed? That's not something I would be inclined to have the transmission opened up to solve, and I highly doubt it needs a rebuild. Maybe just some minor valve body or solenoid work, but that's nowhere near $1200.

I'd take it to a Nissan dealer, they have equipment that can watch the transmission systems real-time and identify things better than Aamco could I'm sure.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#46811 - 30/06/04 05:40 PM Re: Automatic Trans Problems
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with Brent. They needed to perform circuit pressure tests. These tests would indicate whether the oil pump is working correctly, stall test pressures in Reverse and Drive, engagement delays, etc.

Has this been a gradual symptom or has it happened all of a sudden? Anything else happen (no matter how small or insignificant)?

How does the fluid look? Smell? If you take the dipstick out, and place some oil on the back of your hand, does it look like there are a bunch of little black particles in it?

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal