shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#469652 - 10/03/05 12:05 PM VDC and SLIP lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

These lights have lit up on the console twice now for no apparent reason. The first time when the X slipped on some ice off a quick start and the second time was today after I'd slowly driven off a moderate curb onto the street. Both times I was in 4x2 mode, and both times the lights reset (turned back off) after I turned the car off and back on again.

Is this normal? I don't understand why the VDC would turn itself off in those situations...and I certainly hadn't switched to 4lo. Ideas?

#469653 - 10/03/05 12:21 PM Re: VDC and SLIP lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

That seems odd. I saw the VDC light for the first time today... but that was as I was accidentaly peeling out on wet pavement turning onto the highway. Just not used to all the power yet! laugh

Oh, I was also in 2WD...

#469654 - 10/03/05 05:04 PM Re: VDC and SLIP lights
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
Just a quick explanation as how I understand these lights. Anyone that wants to correct or add to feel free.

SLIP - this is the ABLS function which senses a wheel slipping and applies braking force to the wheel thereby transfering power to the other wheels. It is the modern day Limited Slip, computer controlled.

VDC - this is a smart sensor (gyroscopes) that sense if the vehicle is not stable in motion. If it senses that a wheel is moving more than it should (loss of traction) and the vehicle is loosing control, then it applies braking force to the wheel that will help compensate for the loss of control. There are images that show this, a major situation to set this alarm off is under/over steer on bad surfaces.

#469655 - 10/03/05 06:32 PM Re: VDC and SLIP lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

fastdrmr is correct, but VDC also has the ability to cut power to the engine in addition to the brake thingy.

The Slip light comes on if either of these activates. I don't think there's a way to tell if it's VDC or ABLS that activated. The manual indicates that the same Slip light is used for both.

So - if you lose traction on one wheel, ABLS kicks in and sends power to the opposite wheel, and the Slip light comes on to tell you it's doing it's job. The situations Morvran and ClimberX describe are perfect exaples of these systems in action.

Personally, I really like the ABLS system - it seems to work just as well as a real limited slip diff, but there's no cluch in the diff to where out.

Not sure if Morvran's situation would be the VDC gyros sensing the vehicle out of level as he pulled of the curb, or ABLS detecting spin on one wheel for that second as the tire dropped off the curb.

But anyway, it all normal - enjoy it!!!

The other day I was on an open slushy road, no cars around, and punched it from a dead stop to see how well it would work. The backend fish tailed back and forth a little (maybe 6" each way), but you could tell the thing was kicking in and keeping the car much more straight than it would have been without those toys. (Slip light came on, of course).

ABLS also gets me up my steep driveway when it's covered in ice patches, were with my other truck I gotta put it in 4wd.

(note - the VDC light only comes on if there is a malfunction in the VDC system - it should NOT come on during normal operation).

Maybe I've been reading the manual too much.

#469656 - 11/03/05 05:31 AM Re: VDC and SLIP lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

I understand the functions of the systems (although I appreciate the explanations), but is the light supposed to stay on for a while after the VDC or SLIP has been activated? Does it turn off by itself after a while? Also, I'd expect it to tell me that VDC was "working"...not that it's off. (the light I'm talking about is the same one that lights up if you push the VDC button manually to turn it off).

My wife's Volvo has this type of sensor too (stability control), but the light only blinks on for a second when it's in use, and then it's gone. In the case I'm talking about, the "VDC Off" and "SLIP" lights both come on and stay on (at least for a little while).

Maybe the activiation of the ABLS system automatically shuts off the VDC system, hence the VDC Off light. Maybe I haven't waited long enough for the SLIP light to turn back off on its own again (and the VDC to turn back on again).

#469657 - 11/03/05 05:52 AM Re: VDC and SLIP lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

On mine, the slip light is on only while the system is actually doing something - for that second or 2 I'm on the patch of ice or whatever.
It turns off the second the tires stop slipping.
Just like the way you descibe on your wife's volvo.

If the light stays on after slippage, and is still on when you are on dry pavement, sounds like something might be wrong.

I'd definalely ask the dealer to check this if the slip light stays on AFTER the system is done working it's magic (or voodoo!)

VDC light is not suppose to come one when the VDC system activates - it just shares that same slip light. If VDC lignt comes on and stays on, that aslo indicates something might be wrong.

I'd ask the dealer to check this out....

#469658 - 11/03/05 09:05 AM Re: VDC and SLIP lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think this is normal. The traction control light on my Bimmer would come on anytime the system was activated.(i.e. slipping etc.) I would only worry if it stays on excessively.

#469659 - 20/03/05 07:02 PM Re: VDC and SLIP lights
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
I don't remember which thread has the question about ABLS/Slip on the front wheels while in 4x4 low and locked. Just went and played in some snow and the front will continue to use the SLIP indicator/traction control even when the rear is locked. This is a great thing.

I am itching to get the lift on and head to Moab.

#469660 - 21/03/05 07:58 PM Re: VDC and SLIP lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

out here in vegas, there are, as well as full on 2 track trails, some long somewhat improved (using the term very loosely) gravel roads throughout the desert that are alot of fun to barrel down at a pretty good clip (30mph or so). part of the fun is getting a little sideways and running it in sort of rally car style. i have also had some driving instruction and can do this with a degree of control and know my limits. they are pretty tame, i can do it in my superduty.

the question i have is, will the ABLS take the fun out of this?

or will doing this be really hard on the system?

flynn

looks like i will have mine by the end of the week.
silver, OR 4x4

#469661 - 21/03/05 08:28 PM Re: VDC and SLIP lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

"the question i have is, will the ABLS take the fun out of this? "

I don't think the ABLS will matter - I've been able to spin up both tires no problem when punching it on slushy roads. Pretty cool actually. All the power seems to get distributed, the 2 back tires just kind of fight over it. Seems to perform about the same as a mechanical limited slip diff.

VDC would probably take the fun out of it, though, as it will cut engine power when IT thinks things are out of hand. However, you can turn off VDC - thank god!

This is based on playing around on slushy and snowy roads, but I imagine it would be the same on gravel/dirt.

#469662 - 09/11/05 08:49 PM Re: VDC and SLIP lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just to revive this topic. I started my X at my parents in laws place to drive home tonight and the VDC OFF and Slip lights came on, and both stayed on all the way home. When I got home I turned off the engine for a few seconds, then fired her back up again and they still remain on frown

#469663 - 09/11/05 09:15 PM Re: VDC and SLIP lights
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Those are the little things about your vehicle that just drive ya freakin crazy. I don't think Nissan has got it quite right yet with the VDC and slip stuff!

#469664 - 09/11/05 09:19 PM Re: VDC and SLIP lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah, the same thing has happened to me twice. both times it was wet out...i fiddled with buttons a bit the first time, and eventually went out. the second time i just rode around, stopped and when i got back in they both went off. that was about 2k miles ago...so nothing since so hopefully nothing more.

#469665 - 10/11/05 02:27 AM Re: VDC and SLIP lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
Just to revive this topic. I started my X at my parents in laws place to drive home tonight and the VDC OFF and Slip lights came on, and both stayed on all the way home. When I got home I turned off the engine for a few seconds, then fired her back up again and they still remain on frown
Check out this thread:

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=000699

#469666 - 10/11/05 07:53 AM Re: VDC and SLIP lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well this morning when I fired her up to come to work the SLIP light was off and the VDC Off light was still on. Toggled that off by pressing the VDC button. So hopefully all is well.

There is a reset procedure if both of those lights come on according to the owners manual (Section 5.29). You need to set the steering straight, then fire her up and drive over 10mph for 10 minutes and that should reset it!

#469667 - 10/11/05 09:03 AM Re: VDC and SLIP lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

I actually turn off the VDC most of the time. I don't like how controlable the X feels with it on. I like it loose. BTW - I tried to do doughnuts with it on and it just spins the tires a little bit and drives in a circle. Off though, it goes like mad! Lot's of dust and fun.

Rinky, I'd have that problem checked out if it occurs again. I hope you guys get to go out this weekend. Enjoy!

#469668 - 10/11/05 09:46 AM Re: VDC and SLIP lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll be there this weekend. Lindsay isn't coming tho, the question is - Are you?

#469669 - 10/11/05 10:55 AM Re: VDC and SLIP lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
I'll be there this weekend. Lindsay isn't coming tho, the question is - Are you?
Ans: I wish!, Sorry, gatta work. frown

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal