2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47297 - 12/06/05 10:45 AM 02 XE auto tranny
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, so we got the 02 XE to replace the toasted 01 XE. The differences are that the 02 has an auto tranny,no LSD and about 30 more hp. The 02 was purchased used with 31K and everything appears consistent wtih that mileage.
Heres the thing: it seems that the 02 (auto) does not have the torque feel that the standard tranny did on the 01. It has been a few years since I drove an auto (except for a pig caravan which does not count)but it feels like the thing is just not totally connected to the drive shaft. Not slipping necessarily, no vibration or anything like that, but the torque just isnt there. This is particularly true when the 'overdrive' is engaged. Maybe this is common for Nissan autos.
I will be taking the 02 on a 1000+ mile round trip in about 6 weeks and will be pulling a 4x6 trailer probably stuffed with the crap we'll need for 2 weeks in the woods.
Any comments, etc, welcome.

#47298 - 12/06/05 11:09 AM Re: 02 XE auto tranny
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's true that an auto will not feel as "torque-y" but it's shouldn't be so bad either. My guess is that you may not be used to the auto tranny. If there are no other driveabilty problems I would say that you just have to get used to it, that's all.

#47299 - 12/06/05 02:37 PM Re: 02 XE auto tranny
Anonymous
Unregistered

This may be true. Pulling the trailer empty is not bad off the line but up long, not necessarily steep hills it will downshift (out of OD?) and the rpms will go up. Maybe I'll need to make sure to switch off the OD on those long hills in PA and Southern NY. The manual says that swinching OD off will affect fuel economy, but pulling hills on I81 with some of those big trucks on my tail can be interesting in a gutless vehicle.
I have read in other threads that the auto is not too bad off road. I guess we'll find out.

#47300 - 22/06/05 04:55 PM Re: 02 XE auto tranny
Anonymous
Unregistered

read this thread... http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000621

the hills i pulled up make the hills in PA seem like a slight ascent wink

#47301 - 22/06/05 08:24 PM Re: 02 XE auto tranny
Anonymous
Unregistered

oba-j I saw that series of posts earlier. Thanks. Apples and oranges, however, since mine is non SC. Did a test hop up to Delaware this past weekend pulling the trailer and it went juuust fine. With an open top, the trailer feels like it is acting like an air brake. With the top on, very smooth pull.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal