shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#473137 - 23/10/07 05:57 PM Shrockworks Bumper + Suspension Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I finally put the Shrock bumper on, after some wait for it being made. For some reason the allignment is not precise. Driver side seems to stick out horizontally more the passenger by 3/4in. But, thats another post.

Even though I researched and got some answers from here about the dip that this bumper puts on, and the driving quality, the answers are the opposite to what I am experiencing. The front end went down significantly. I would say 1 - 1.5in. Not sure exactly. I have to measure another X. The back end raised the tail, like a b*tch in heat. The drive quality is a bit crappy, I'd say. Totally different that what I had, and what I had on my previous X with a similar bumper. The 02 was XE with stock suspention, did not dip this much. This is an 05 OffRoad. I would think that the OffRoad suspension on this truck would be able to handle this bumper better. The breaking is just terrible. It plows the street and really pulls forward.

Does any one have any suggestions? Am I looking at a lift now? Would a simple Body Lift resolve this, instead of Suspension Lift? Or, would a leveling kit work? I found one for $99 on ebay, made by TopGunzCustoms.

This is all in terms of drive quality. I will not be taking this off road much. I have not time for that. The armor is for safety reasons. I spend most of my time on streets and highway.

Here is the link:
Ebay

Or maybe other suggestions from anyone?
Any help is greatlly appreciated.
Have a great week.

#473138 - 02/11/07 01:47 PM Re: Shrockworks Bumper + Suspension Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I added the full ShrockWorks bumper and a +100 pound MileMarker SX12 winch. My bumper lowered the tire well exactly 0.25". I have a set of AC springs on front which raised my wheel well to 36". Following the mounting of +200 pounds worth of bumper and winch it has lowered to 35.75".

The biggest impact of the bumper while driving is that the previously "nervous" and bouncy front end is now much smoother and settled. Driving over a speedbump no longer shakes the fillings out of my teeth.

#473139 - 02/11/07 09:48 PM Re: Shrockworks Bumper + Suspension Question
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
The stock frame horns can be uneven...I had weld buggers on my X I had to grind down to make them even....possibly your '05 has a similar issue...the mounting bolt holes are oval, so its also possible to compensate for that when mounting the bumper.

As to your crazy doodle bug posture...that's definetely not normal...with a winch and bumper, I barely sagged at all, less than 1/4" - same with the rear bumper...the truck barely felt it.

To drop my front end 1.5" and pop my ass up, I think I'd have to put like 500 lb on my front bumper....I've winched stuck trucks out of mud holes w/o drooping the front as much as your describing.

You may just have weak front coils...it happens, just like some people got weak t-bars from the factory, etc...

Some '05's had very weak rear leaves too...and the suspensions bottomed out a lot.....perhaps this is a related issue?

Anyway....its all fixable.

BTW - I HOPE you know that the X is DESIGNED to have the front about an inch to an inch and a half lower than the rear....and that you are not just first noticing this now that you put a bumper on.

IE: If you say you sagged the front end 1.5"....that means the front end is NOW about 3" lower than the rear end.

A BL will not help the rake of course, as it has nothing to do with the suspension...and raises the front and back evenly....but at least the bumper can be raised to handle it....giving another set of holes to work out an even mount, etc....if that aspect proves useful....and your horns are straight, etc.

Post a few pics....we can probably tell what you're up against that way.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#473140 - 04/11/07 08:09 AM Re: Shrockworks Bumper + Suspension Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

My front end went way down when I put on the Shrock front bumper. What is "way down"? - I don't know because I didn't measure it, but I sit lower than other 2nd gen Xs.

The 2nd gens have weak rear springs, so I wouldn't doubt the fronts are weak too. I still haven't decided on which springs / coilover shock setup I want to go with up front.

As for the stance of the X and driving manners:

I put the Shrock rear bumper on at the same time. Because of the AALs, the rear didn't sag too much. The X will drive differently with the added weight of the bumpers. Acceleration and braking will be affected. Remember, this is a truck. It is not meant to be driven like a sports car.

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal