shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#473669 - 28/02/05 05:29 PM FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

I asked my dealer if I could get oem foglamps for my 05 xterra s, and he said that it is not offered yet. How is this when you can get a se or off road with them installed? He offered me some aftermarket ones but I wanted to get somemore feedback before I went with them. ANY INFO OUT THERE?

#473670 - 28/02/05 09:17 PM Re: FOG LAMPS
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
They are factory installed.

Anything can be added, if you have the proper materials and know-how. I am sure you can retrofit (with some cutting of plastic and creative brackets) the bumper to receive OEM foglights. The switching will need to be somewhere other than the stock SE/OR location, such as the dash.

Give it some time and someone will post pix of having done this. I helped someone in our local club do this to a 2000 XE with my OEM fogs a while ago.

#473671 - 09/03/05 01:35 PM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

I started a new thread about anyone actually doing this but it got canned (sorry, closed). I called a Nissan dealer and found that the light and mounting hardware is $90 per side ($180 per X). That would preclude using the stalk to turn on and off the fogs so you'd have to wire them to their own relay, make sure you comply with state laws, if any, that say only on with low beams, and put a toggle of some sort in one of the blanks on the dash board.

Now the big problem comes in to play, the way Nissan designed the bumper and wheel well precludes any type of easy access like in the 04's and earlier. I'm going to pay my dealer to install the lights and pull wires to the engine compartment, replace the wheel wells and I'll do the rest (they won't install the relays or switches since that's custom work).

I looked into using PIAA 510's (the opening is about 4" across so that the PIAA that fits) but they're over $200 for the set with no mounting hardware so you'd have to have that custom made and that that additional cost they'd have to be hugely better than the OEM lights to justify the cost. I'll know more when I make my final decision on getting an 05 or waiting for 06...

#473672 - 09/03/05 02:02 PM Re: FOG LAMPS
fastdrmr Offline

I closed the other 2 threads because we have similar topics where we could take care of them all in one. My appologies if it didn't sit well with you.

If the dealer mounts the lights and leaves the rest to you, you probably only have 1 hour left worth of install. A relay, wiring, zip ties, a modular switch that allows you to turn on the fogs at any time and you're done. The firewall opening is extremely convenient.

Get the lights you really want. Make sure they float your boat since you are getting a custom install. Note, the lamps and their ratings usually make a big difference. If you go above 55W, then you will only be able to use them offroad. At that point, make sure you have glass covers or you run the risk of melting them.

If you need more help with the electrical schematics I am sure you can find them here on XOC. The relay approach is the only way to go, and once you figure out the 87, 88, etc. meanings they are simple.

Additional fog comments should continue in this thread, otherwise when people search "fog lights" they are going to get a plethora of hits. Not a good thing.

#473673 - 09/03/05 02:58 PM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry I was so rude, my appologies. I agree, the rest should be simple enough to do. I like the look of the PIAA's but if I can get Nissan's for $180 (I'm trying to get my dealer to sell them to me at cost when I buy the car and then just charge me labour to install them) plus install with OEM mounts, I think it'll be much less than the PIAA's with custom brackets. Gotta also believe I'm more likely to get my $ back out of them when I trade/sell it than going with the PIAA's and I have to have on-road fogs for where I live.

Thanks...

#473674 - 11/03/05 07:21 AM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm going to get the 510's this weekend. $200 is pricey but you will much happier than buying the factory crap. ..... The place that I am picking them up from wants $75 to install them. I will be doing it myself. The installation shouldn't be too bad.....I have installed other PIAA lamps already so I know the drill. I'll post some pics and info on how it went!!

#473675 - 14/03/05 07:00 AM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good News! I took the front end apart this weekend and found the fog lights are pre-wired. So I have an S model and the wires are taped up just above the fog light holes.

The problem is there are holes for the L and R brackets but no brakets to mount lights. I didn't even see where I count mount lights without fabricating a bracket about 5 inches long.

#473676 - 14/03/05 07:51 AM Re: FOG LAMPS
fastdrmr Offline

Even if they are pre-wired... what did you conclude on the switching? It may be too much hassle to use the pre-wiring and just do your own. The key, IMHO, would be attachment conditions... is there a place to physically attach the fog light?

Also, the notion of something in the way preventing you from getting to the bumper... its a simple plastic skirt. Remove it and you should be able to get to it. This is a nice skirt, one that 1st gens didn't have - bonus because it will keep snow/mud/dirt from getting on your fog lights.

Keep investigating!!! smile

#473677 - 09/04/05 11:28 PM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

http://www.xterraparts.com/Merchant2/mer...ode=999F1-WD222
found this kit for prewired 02-03 xterra's. hopefully in the near future xterra parts will have a "prewired kit" for 05 X's

#473678 - 20/04/05 04:13 PM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

mjunda,

Did you have any luck tracing the wiring behind the front bumper back to its original source? I'm also considering installing foglamps on my S, but I'd rather not have to run and tie everything in from scratch.

#473679 - 20/04/05 09:06 PM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hopefully the 05 X factory service manual will be up soon. May want to wait for that to find wiring diagrams/color codes.

#473680 - 21/04/05 09:25 AM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey all! I just installed my PIAA 510's in my x. Took some time getting all the materials and such, will post the pictures and some how to's in a few days. The shop wanted $75 an hour with a 3 hour minimum and fabricating brackets!!

#473681 - 22/04/05 06:43 AM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

SO did you pay the 3 hours for them to fabricate mounts or did you come up with something yourself?

The problem I saw was that the mount has to extend 4 inches to properly mount a light. This could also impact stablity on the light.

I hope to see your setup ASAP.

Thanks

#473682 - 24/04/05 09:05 AM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

No way!! I took it on all by my lonesome....ok I had a friend cut me some 4" angle iron for brackets. They work great. Had to dremmel out quite a bit to make them fit with their grills included, sorry will get the pictures tomorrow.

#473683 - 25/04/05 11:18 AM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd love to see how you set that up....can you also include pics of the setup you have for the switch on the dash?

#473684 - 20/05/05 07:59 PM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, I know there have been a lot of posts regarding fog lights on the 2005 Xterra S since the Off Road & SE models come with them standard. I currently have a 2005 Xterra S 4x2 and I spoke with my buddy at the Nissan dealership. This is the latest, Nissan does not have the "Fog Light Kit" out for the 2005 model yet, however, you can order the 2 fog light assemblies, relay and stalk switch (which mounts to the steering) seperately. Hope this helps all those like me waiting for the "fog light kit".

#473685 - 11/06/05 12:36 PM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Finally...... I got the 05 fog light set and installed it on my 05 Xterra S 4x2. If anyone is interested in part numbers, e-mail me & I will send you the info.

#473686 - 11/06/05 03:14 PM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why not just post them here? Why do they need to contact you privately?

#473687 - 11/06/05 03:57 PM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay then.... here is the scoop to get fog lights on the S model. The fog light assy. P/N is 26150-EA025, you need 2 @ $105/ea, the turn signal/switch assy. is 25540-EA005 @ $91/ea. The relay is not needed for the 05 model, they already have them installed in the relay box. Total out the door for me with tax was $321. Labor was free (I installed it myself).

Hope this info helps.

#473688 - 11/06/05 04:56 PM Re: FOG LAMPS
fastdrmr Offline

To each their own... but ouch! That's quite the pretty penny to spend.

May I challenge someone to do it using a rocker switch (there are 3 empty slots available on an OR), and a set of hi-performance lights (ie PIAA) for less... $320 is a tad toooo much. On the brighter side, it looks stock! wink

#473689 - 12/06/05 06:23 PM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

For those of you with factory fog lights, here's a question. I have the 05 OR with fog lights, and was a little disappointed to find that i couldn't turn on JUST the fog lights. Has anyone done any re-wiring to run the fog lights without the headlights being on?

Evan

#473690 - 12/06/05 07:45 PM Re: FOG LAMPS
fastdrmr Offline

On all Xs, from 2000 to now the fog lights only come on when you have the headlights on. There was a way to disassemble your plastic steering column wrap and tap into 2 or 3 wires and by-pass that requirement.

If you are comfortable doing this, which I am not (and mind you I have done many of electrical mods) then you probably need the schematics and a steedy hand.

#473691 - 04/08/05 09:13 AM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry guys, newbie question: do the fogs help that much on-road? Most of my driving will be day-to-day on-road driving, with just a little off-road now and then. Do you think it would really be worth adding them?

#473692 - 04/08/05 09:54 AM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

XMS3200, so with the stock fog light assemblies, did those come w/brackets that attached in the bumper, or did you have to fabricate some? Also, for the replacement turn signal stalk, was that pretty easy to replace and wire up? I am looking into adding lights, and like a professional/stock/clean look without looking like I've hacked up my interior. If you could whip together a step by step that would be great, I'm not too experienced hooking up lights, but I've done some other basic things to my Jeep and X. THANKS!

#473693 - 04/08/05 10:03 AM Re: FOG LAMPS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
For those of you with factory fog lights, here's a question. I have the 05 OR with fog lights, and was a little disappointed to find that i couldn't turn on JUST the fog lights. Has anyone done any re-wiring to run the fog lights without the headlights being on?

Evan
I was quite disappointed that I can't run just the fog lights also...But my hubby/mechanic hasn't taken the time to re-wire them yet! So hopefully that will be done soon!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal