shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47585 - 06/03/03 07:35 AM Trying to get my mind wrapped around TC lockup
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I've been educating myself this morning (for no particular reason) about torque converters and I've been reading the various posts about keeping it locked while towing.

BTW, Excellent newbie info at:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm

I think I understand lockup and why you want to make sure you're in it while towing heavy stuff (to avoid overheating). I'm not entirely sure how you tell when you are in it or when you've come out of it.

It sounds like you have to be going over 45mph (in 3rd or 4th gear) and then you basically keep an eye on the tach making sure that it increases and decreases steadily with speed and doesn't go nuts - and having overdrive turned off helps to keep it locked but doesn't guarantee it.

Is that pretty much it?

#47586 - 06/03/03 08:50 AM Re: Trying to get my mind wrapped around TC lockup
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Sounds like you've read some of my posts on the topic. It will take a little experimenting, but I think you've got an idea of where to start.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#47587 - 06/03/03 07:29 PM Re: Trying to get my mind wrapped around TC lockup
Nut Offline

Loc: Calif
No need to think about it too hard though. Thats what the AT control computer is for. Looks at veh speed, gear trans is in, fluid temp, engine RPM, and in-directly at load by comparing veh speed to throttle position. Funny what them thar 'puters due nowa days.

[Wave]

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal