2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47865 - 28/02/05 06:00 AM Over heated tranny
InfX708 Offline

Loc: Ft. Bragg, NC
Interesting thing happened last weekend as I was driving home. It was something like 40 degrees out (F, for you Canadians), I was pulling my motorcycle in its trailer, which weighs about 1500lbs total, and had the heater going full blast because my toes were frozen from riding. I was probably 30 minutes into my trip, doing about 65 on a fairly level road and the A/T temp light came on. I immediately pulled over, after damn near crapping my pants - I've had some bad experiences with "TEMP" lights from my previous vehicle, an '86 Chevy full-size van. After my slight panic attack, I realized that this shouldn't be happening. I've done the same thing in July and August, going 6 hours and never had a problem. The only thing that had changed was that the tranny fluid was changed during the 90K service. Aparantly, there is a design flaw in the X - seems that the heater is so good that it will heat up parts of the drive train under the truck. This it the only logical explanation. I lowered the heat and the problem went away. Thinking about adding a tranny cooler now that the bike gets towed everywhere I go - the MPs try to impound the trailer if I disconnect it - claim it's an abandoned vehicle. Just a wanted to share this everyone - might want to warm up the interior to your liking before you drive if you're pulling a load - then back that baby off. damn good heater though.

#47866 - 28/02/05 08:16 AM Re: Over heated tranny
Anonymous
Unregistered

No way the heater can heat the transmission, the transmission typically runs well over 150 degrees (F for you Canadians), hotter than the air in the heat system ever gets.
Running the heater pulls heat out of the engine cooling system, which in turn should only help the integrated AT cooling circuit in the bottom of the radiator function a little bit.
If you had the airflow knob turned to the right past vertical it would cause the A/C compressor to kick in, which would put some heat into the condenser ahead of the radiator and decrease the efficiency of both the engine and transmission cooling circuits, that's the only way running the "heat" could affect transmission temperatures.

#47867 - 28/02/05 07:19 PM Re: Over heated tranny
InfX708 Offline

Loc: Ft. Bragg, NC
Never said it was logical. Just offered what the data showed. If you have an explanation, I'm listening.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal