shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#480579 - 21/09/05 05:24 PM hey all
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey guys, im new here, just got my first X a few weeks back and loving it. found these forums through a search and have enjoyed reading the past topics. i do have a quick question for you guys. i have started to notice an odd smell from the exhaust after driving it, and some water dripping from the tip as well. what would be causing this? im a lil concerned since this is a used x (02 xe, 6cyl, AT, 4x4). any help or advice is appreciated!!

#480580 - 21/09/05 05:52 PM Re: hey all
Anonymous
Unregistered

well after some research i found an answer for the moisture drip from the tailpipe, but still looking about the odor, its kinda like a rotton egg smell after the engine has been running awhile.

#480581 - 21/09/05 06:12 PM Re: hey all
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Winky:
....but still looking about the odor, its kinda like a rotton egg smell after the engine has been running awhile...
Easy...quit carting around Smith's mom in your X.

That should get rid of the "rotten egg" smell. [Finger]

Plus, if you have been going up and down hills, or hitting your RPMS hard, that will cause it - not to worry, though - it isn't anything to be concerned about. VERY normal.

Best part of it is when you get to the local grocery store, you can cut one loose and blame it onthe "X"!!(Or, Smith's mom, depending on your situation).

Have fun...get an air freshener!!!!!!!

#480582 - 21/09/05 06:56 PM Re: hey all
Anonymous
Unregistered

The rotten egg smell is sulphur and is caused by the catalytic converter reacting with the sulfur compounds in gasoline. Different driving conditions can cause this.

There are quite a few cars that do this and it is becoming more common as the manufacturers install more efficient catalytic converters.

To reduce the problem they are starting to roll out reduced sulphur content gasoline but it is not available throughout the US yet.

It can smell pretty bad. :rolleyes:

#480583 - 21/09/05 08:29 PM Re: hey all
Anonymous
Unregistered

Welcome Winky!! wink

#480584 - 25/09/05 07:57 PM Re: hey all
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for the replys guys, just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with my X. actually i havent noticed the smell since i made that post.

Moderator:  socalpunx, TJ 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal