shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#481617 - 02/04/08 01:20 PM Buying
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am very close to buying a used Xterra for my daughter. Looking at 05, 06 and 07 years. There seem to be some on the market with low miles and a few have recently popped up from rental agencies.
I am totally new to Nissan and the Xterra. Any helpful hints out there as to what to avoid, what to look for and so on.

Thanks

#481618 - 02/04/08 02:03 PM Re: Buying
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am in a rental car 3 days a week for work and I can assure you...you don't want an ex rental car!

#481619 - 02/04/08 04:26 PM Re: Buying
PDXterra Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally posted by Ebeauchea:
I am in a rental car 3 days a week for work and I can assure you...you don't want an ex rental car!
x2.

I once got a rental Chevy with less than 500 miles on it.... let's just say I didn't follow the "recommended break in driving habits." There's a reason rental agencies dump cars after the factory warranty runs out.

#481620 - 02/04/08 05:10 PM Re: Buying
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wouldn't be so fast to run from a rental. Not an X but my parents unknowingly (found the Avis sticker by the gas cap) bought a 93 Prism with 60k on it. I drove it when it had 150k on the ticker and the it still ran like new. One thing about rentals, they probably stay on top of regular maintenance regardless of how it was treated as a rental.

That being said, if the price is right (with an extended warranty), go for it.

#481621 - 02/04/08 07:35 PM Re: Buying
Anonymous
Unregistered

For most rental cars the manufacturer gets the best ones on a buy back for sale at their dealers. You will only get what they didn't want. That being said my brother buys all his cars that way. He gets the extended warranty which he has had to use to get his cars right, but once they are right he has had very little trouble with them.

#481622 - 03/04/08 05:48 AM Re: Buying
Anonymous
Unregistered

Assuming your daughter isn't into offroading, which makes the decision process easier, you should simply choose between a 4x2 and a 4x4 model. Not surprisingly, 4x4 vehicles are very rare in some parts of the country (like Florida). As for which trim package to go with, the more spartan the better if your daughter is not the sort to be genteel on the interior. As for reliability, some may argue that the 2005 model has more problems that the later models. But this is probably not significant, especially if the vehicle is not taken offroad.

Hope this helps.

_Lazza

PS - as with most younguns, your daughter is likely to be interested in the Xterra's stereo more than any other feature. I would not let this deter you getting an Xterra with the most basic stereo. Upgrading to aftermarket stereos/speakers is relatively easy, and you will be able to get nifty aftermarket units with nice gizmos for the iPod, cellphone, etc, for only a few hundred dollars. Well worth the investment (IMHO).

#481623 - 03/04/08 06:01 AM Re: Buying
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info. It isn't likely I'll get an off rental unit.
I've owned lots of Explorers and would know what to look for if I got a used one.
Just not sure if the XTERRA has some congenital problems I should be looking for. I was a bit concerned about an 05 because it is a change over model year and that usually means first year problems. I owned a first year Pilot and dumped it within 2 years because it had so many problems.
If anyone has any specific problem areas on these vehicles I'd appreciate hearing it.

Thanks again

#481624 - 03/04/08 08:44 AM Re: Buying
Anonymous
Unregistered

The only issues I know of are the differentials. I don't think your daughter will have a problem w/ that though if she doesn't beat on it.

#481625 - 03/04/08 09:43 AM Re: Buying
GrayHam Offline

You know, if you're pissed-off enough at having your new car smashed up by a drunk driver, it's amazing how much air you can get under a rented Pontiac Grand-Am at a train crossing . . .

Especially when you do it every day for two months while they rebuild your car because Geico refuses to total it even though, when all is said and done, the total cost to repair the car is about 85% of the cost of the damn car when it was new off-the-lot . . . mad

Sorry. I digressed.

Don't buy a former rental.

Enjoy. [Wave]

Moderator:  socalpunx, TJ 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal