shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#48594 - 01/06/03 11:07 AM I screwed up
Anonymous
Unregistered

Was travelling on a dirt trail on the side of a pretty steep hill. X has Automatic transmission and I was in 1st gear. It got a little unsafe so I decided to stop and go back. Well I forgot to put the Automatic transmission in reverse, instead just took my foot off the break and the vehicle started moving down the hill.

After moving backward a short distance I smelled something burning and the engine shut off. I stopped the truck and then realized the truck was still in 1st so I put it in park. Then I restarted the engine... It hesitated a little when starting but then started right up and I put it in Reverse to get out of there.

I haven't noticed a difference in how the X runs since this happened so I am wondering if I should be worried about other damage that may not be evident at this point. What do you think?

#48595 - 01/06/03 12:14 PM Re: I screwed up
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
That is a big boo-boo what you did, hopefully you didn't damage the transmission, if anything, you should have put it in neutral, and let your X roll down itself...Good Luck on that...

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#48596 - 01/06/03 12:34 PM Re: I screwed up
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Rick, I edited my post.. this is my first truck so still getting used to saying truck instead of car..

#48597 - 01/06/03 12:53 PM Re: I screwed up
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I've done this a few times. It kills the engine but doesn't really do any harm. If you had it towed backwards for more than a few dozen feet or something it could cause harm, but otherwise, no sweat here.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#48598 - 02/06/03 07:19 AM Re: I screwed up
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
And putting it in Reverse is better than putting it in Neutral. You don't get much engine braking but every little bit helps.

Xterra101.com

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal