shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#48706 - 27/03/02 01:45 PM Installing a LSD
bu-bye Offline

Loc: Cali
Anyone have a link on how this is done? I have done my share for engine and tranny work on cars but never have touched the rear end before. I have seen many shows on TV that show the basic gear swap but I feel thats not enough info for me to start ripping things appart one weekend Can I just use any LSD or are they different sizes. I'm not going to be doing anything hard core that would need a locker just trips to the snow with the family. Driving a peg-led in the snow gives me a uneasy feeling. Its my wifes daily driver and we live in a cityish town so it will see most of its action in the mall parking lot with snow once or twice a year for a weekend. Its a V6 2wd 2002 BTW. thanks

#48707 - 27/03/02 05:07 PM Re: Installing a LSD
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Sorry, I don’t have any info on ripping into the 3rd member on your X. I do have a LSD for sale. As I type this, I am having an ARB Air Locker put in. The LSD would be coming out of my 2002 with 10K miles. Email me if you are interested in my LSD. I am in Huntington Beach, CA.

-Doug

#48708 - 27/03/02 05:29 PM Re: Installing a LSD
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Are you having the work done at 4wheeler supply on Beach Blvd. by any chance ?

#48709 - 27/03/02 05:32 PM Re: Installing a LSD
KillerX Offline

Loc: Maryland
If you can wait a week, I will have a LSD from a 2000 Xterra you can purchase off me. I'm getting my locker installed this weekend and won't have a need for my LSD anymore.

If you're interested, make me an offer. Otherwise, I'm posting it on the Buy and Sell forum next week.

mehdi@nissanoffroad.net

#48710 - 27/03/02 07:43 PM Re: Installing a LSD
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
Are you having the work done at 4wheeler supply on Beach Blvd. by any chance ?
Socalpunx,

They do good work but I chose to have the ARB put in by an authorized ARB dealer. The work is being done by T&J’s 4 wheel in Orange. They were recommended by ARB and had numerous very good referrals.

-Doug

#48711 - 27/03/02 10:13 PM Re: Installing a LSD
Mosi Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I totally forgot that I have an LSD sitting around. First $50 plus shipping takes it. 17k miles on it.

mosi26@attbi.com

#48712 - 27/03/02 10:31 PM Re: Installing a LSD
SCoach Offline

Loc: Tallahassee, FL
I thought all the LSD's in the Xterras were crappy? The multitude of postings sure made it seem that way...

-P

#48713 - 28/03/02 09:01 AM Re: Installing a LSD
bu-bye Offline

Loc: Cali
Thanks everyone for the offer on the LSD's. I still have a whole year before I'm going to need one but if one of you still has one in the months down the line I might be shooting you an e-mail. But, my question was never answered. How is a swap done?

#48714 - 28/03/02 09:19 AM Re: Installing a LSD
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I doubt it's worth your time or trouble. It's not a DIY job. You will have to have the third member removed (the large portion between the driveshaft and the entire axle), have the ring gear swapped from the old open diff housing to the new LSD housing, and have the ring and pinion adjusted for proper backlash etc. The backlash adjustment is precise tedious and not something that you want to screw up. Anyone will tell you unless you know exactly what you're doing, have a professional do it. It will run you several hundred bucks for labor.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#48715 - 28/03/02 12:25 PM Re: Installing a LSD
CheetaraX Offline

Loc: Ft. Collins
Quote:
Originally posted by SCoach:
I thought all the LSD's in the Xterras were crappy? The multitude of postings sure made it seem that way...
It is still better than an open dif and for the purpose posted here it would work great (on road, rain, and snow occasionally)

Bu-Bye seriously consider Mosi's offer. I am sure on of the PNWX members will be going to West X so you could save your self on shipping there possibly. Even if the install runs $300 that is still a low milage lsd installed for $350. (Also West X is not for a couple of months, buy it now and work out shipping later. So far I don't believe there is another option if you want the LSD. Just an idea.
HAVE FUN

Alan

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal