shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#489226 - 02/01/07 04:11 PM I need more HP and torque!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, I was considering a new intake and exhaust. I was thinking of using a Flowmaster Hushpower II, but i don't want it to be too too loud. And i'm affraid of getting mud in the new intake. What can I do?? Any input on the muffler would be great. I want one that is efficient, but not annoying to my fellow passengers and/or drivers. Thanks Guys!!

2000 Xterra XE
pretty much stock.

#489227 - 05/01/07 10:33 AM Re: I need more HP and torque!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I went with the AEM Brute Force intake and havent gotten mud in it once. Also A snork is a good idea. For exhaust you can't go wrong with a Flowaster 40 series, not too loud and sounds pretty good. Try those out.

#489228 - 05/01/07 04:01 PM Re: I need more HP and torque!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cool, thanks!

#489229 - 05/01/07 05:21 PM Re: I need more HP and torque!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Those upgrades will work just fine for you...but you won't see much in the way of HP and torque gains. Sadly the performance aftermarket for the first gen Xterra/Frontier sucks balls.

The only real gains will come from trading in for a 2002+ supercharged or 2005+ and yes I know that's not an option for most people, but that's life.

Good start though.

#489230 - 05/01/07 06:55 PM Re: I need more HP and torque!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Considering I got a great deal on my X (a $10,000 + car for $3,700) I'm not complaining. But it seems that my X has no REAL get-up-and-go. I can't pull my 4-wheeler w/o struggling. There must be more options for upgrades. frown

My friend has a 2004 f-150, and he gained noticeable HP and T by doing intake and exhaust mods, why can't I? confused

#489231 - 05/01/07 09:04 PM Re: I need more HP and torque!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

The intake and exhaust will get you ~15hp but that's about all I've heard. There is another option that totally slipped my mind...headers from SLR www.spencerlowracing.com or you could find a local GOOD muffler shop that does custom work like that. There's another thread in this forum that is asking about another option for headers (other than SLR) and the company is based in Denver. I'm getting my pickup's exhaust done by them tomorrow so I'll help the other Tyler light a fire under their arses laugh

You did get a good deal on your X, congrats. Also, the first gen X is pathetic when it comes to HP and torque numbers, so you're right it doesn't have any get up and go...sad fact of the Xterra life.

Another option is to find a reputable custom horsepower shop in your area and have them give you a quote on developing a one off (or possibly a kit for sale) supercharger/turbo kit for the Xterra. I will say this, you might get some flak for suggesting a turbo option as most of the vocal folks here are into off-roading and turbos aren't a good setup for off roading unless you're desert running or have a really low crawl ratio (lower than either the Calmini or AC gears will give you) to get the RPMs up high enough to spin the turbines and give you boost, yet be moving really slow.

And after that rambling, I'm done for now laugh

#489232 - 07/01/07 06:50 AM Re: I need more HP and torque!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

You might also consider adding a throttle body spacer to your list. They will add some additional horsepower also.

#489233 - 07/01/07 09:45 AM Re: I need more HP and torque!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by night stalker:
You might also consider adding a throttle body spacer to your list. They will add some additional horsepower also.
No, they don't.

#489234 - 07/01/07 04:34 PM Re: I need more HP and torque!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
Quote:
Originally posted by night stalker:
[b]You might also consider adding a throttle body spacer to your list. They will add some additional horsepower also.
No, they don't.[/b]
i agree with chef

#489235 - 07/01/07 04:45 PM Re: I need more HP and torque!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
The intake and exhaust will get you ~15hp...
[Uh Oh !] 15hp??? Maybe on a Vette, not on an Xterra with a 190hp V6. You'll be doing GOOD to see 5hp to the wheels with an intake and exhaust.

#489236 - 07/01/07 05:26 PM Re: I need more HP and torque!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by rattmobbins:
Quote:
[b]The intake and exhaust will get you ~15hp...
[Uh Oh !] 15hp??? Maybe on a Vette, not on an Xterra with a 190hp V6. You'll be doing GOOD to see 5hp to the wheels with an intake and exhaust.[/b]
Trust me, I know from personal experience that it's more like 5hp, I was just trying to be positive and not discourage the newb laugh

#489237 - 08/01/07 01:18 PM Re: I need more HP and torque!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a Throttle Body Spacer, and don't expect to get any HP or TQ from it, it just makes a whistle noise when combined with an intake. TBS only work well on the older injection cars. Intake/Exhaust if you get 5HP you're lucky. Try a supercharger if you have the money/time to do it.

#489238 - 11/01/07 04:59 PM Re: I need more HP and torque!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

and it's a 2000 X so it's got 170 HP stock, i think.

#489239 - 11/01/07 05:49 PM Re: I need more HP and torque!!!!
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
There isn't really much you can do that'll make a big difference, unfortunately.

I've got an intake, an exhaust, and 5.14 gears... it makes a difference - but not a huge one.

I hear people get pretty impressive gains out of aggressive cams - like 20-40hp - but that's just third-hand data.

The best way to get a significant and very noticeable horsepower jump with an Xterra is to trade in your gen 1 on a gen 2. That gets you like 100hp to the wheels extra cool

#489240 - 12/01/07 11:08 AM Re: I need more HP and torque!!!!
Firebraun Offline

Loc: Reno, Nevada
The only thing I've found that works to get more power from my 2000 is "driver input."

Mash down real hard on the pedal on the right, and it'll go faster. It'll take it a while to do it, but it eventually will.

The first gen were just plain and simple underpowered. Glad they finally fixed it. Gonna have to get me one of those new ones one of these days!

#489241 - 12/01/07 12:43 PM Re: I need more HP and torque!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is why I waited for a used S/C to pop up in my area laugh

#489242 - 12/01/07 05:10 PM Re: I need more HP and torque!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Firebraun:
The only thing I've found that works to get more power from my 2000 is "driver input."

Mash down real hard on the pedal on the right, and it'll go faster. It'll take it a while to do it, but it eventually will.
I don't really know why, but that was the funniest thing that I have heard in weeks!

#489243 - 27/01/07 04:49 AM Re: I need more HP and torque!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I read an article in Four Wheeler mag. where they modified a gen.1 xterra with a high output 180 amp alternator, a Gibson exhaust system, and went to Jet performance chips where they modified the ECU and gained additional 14 horses but you have to run 91 octane gas. Alot of work for not much more power but it was a good read.....Anybody using one of those performance chips on ebay that say you can get an additional 20-25 horses for like 30 buck....I dont know personally but if it looks and smells like bull crap then it probally is...like to here if someone is using this thing.

#489244 - 27/01/07 06:53 AM Re: I need more HP and torque!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by EmergencyX:
I read an article in Four Wheeler mag. where they modified a gen.1 xterra with a high output 180 amp alternator, a Gibson exhaust system, and went to Jet performance chips where they modified the ECU and gained additional 14 horses but you have to run 91 octane gas. Alot of work for not much more power but it was a good read.....Anybody using one of those performance chips on ebay that say you can get an additional 20-25 horses for like 30 buck....I dont know personally but if it looks and smells like bull crap then it probally is...like to here if someone is using this thing.
i hope nobody is using one of those...

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal