shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#418754 - 27/06/08 08:27 AM New Bils are on..BIG difference.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I finally got around to ordering them and putting them on..
20% stiffer all around...
5100 series. (yes the blue and yellwo ones-stock length)
Bought them from 4x4 parts..great service and advice-if I may say so..They recommded stcok height unless i was doing a three-inch lift in the real near future-I'm not so I stuck with what they suggested.

Well..the ride is just amazing...
I'm anticipating the 'bang' and 'boom' when I go over the cracks that are streets here are full of..and instead I'm getting a smoothe bounce when I go over them..

Let's just say..the OEm rear shocks are still compressed after we removed them...AND it's been over two hours...I think the swap and upgrade was OVER due...
anyhow...they're on and the X feels great....

For those who want to know:
Bils front numbers:F4-B46-1099-HO
Bils rear numbers: F4-B46-2126-HO

These are all 20% stiffer HD 5100 series.

#418755 - 27/06/08 09:02 AM Re: New Bils are on..BIG difference.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice. I definitely feel the stiffness on washboard roads but no sway on hwy curves at all.

#418756 - 27/06/08 01:32 PM Re: New Bils are on..BIG difference.
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by NEX:
Let's just say..the OEm rear shocks are still compressed after we removed them...AND it's been over two hours
I could be wrong, but I don't think that's unusual. They're not gas-pressurized, and when new they'll still stay in whatever position you put them in.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#418757 - 27/06/08 04:29 PM Re: New Bils are on..BIG difference.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh really...well there you go..I didn't know that..thanks..
Ok but I have to say-the ride still kicks ass over the OEM shocks wink

#418758 - 13/07/08 07:17 PM Re: New Bils are on..BIG difference.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Glad to hear this recommend.
Another upgrade to add to the list..
Thanks.

#418759 - 13/07/08 07:21 PM Re: New Bils are on..BIG difference.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dave H, keep i nmind, the OP is in a Gen1 rig.. There's another site dedicated to just Gen2 X' with lots of good info. My $.02, Bilsteins suck a chode.
Welcome to the XOC [Wave]

#418760 - 13/07/08 08:57 PM Re: New Bils are on..BIG difference.
GrnXnham Offline

Loc: Tacoma, WA
After reading all the rave reviews of Bilsteins on this forum, I decided to get some for my F150. The X doesn't need any new shocks yet.

I'm not impressed. The ride is extremely stiff and bouncy now compared to the old OEM shocks. I'm not sure what all the excitement is about with these shocks but I won't be putting them on my X.

#418761 - 16/07/08 02:44 AM Re: New Bils are on..BIG difference.
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by GrnXnham:
After reading all the rave reviews of Bilsteins on this forum, I decided to get some for my F150. The X doesn't need any new shocks yet.

I'm not impressed. The ride is extremely stiff and bouncy now compared to the old OEM shocks. I'm not sure what all the excitement is about with these shocks but I won't be putting them on my X.
I can't comment on your F150 other than it's a FORD, but for the Xterra the Bilstiens are fantastic...they really do an amazing job of controlling axle movement (banging around) in the back especially. Point is that just because the F150 fitment isn't that hot doesn't mean that the Xterra fitment isn't. Then again, ride quality is subjective and everyone has a different idea of what is good.

#418762 - 16/07/08 09:48 AM Re: New Bils are on..BIG difference.
Anonymous
Unregistered

You're comparing an SUV to a truck. The weight difference of a truck bed can't compare to the weight of the xterra's rear-end. I've had my Bils on my X for 8 months now and I will continue running them. Not a single complaint on ride quality.

#418763 - 17/07/08 12:30 PM Re: New Bils are on..BIG difference.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by GrnXnham:

I'm going to guess you want your truck to ride like a car because you don't haul stuff in it.

#490700 - 23/06/09 07:52 AM Re: New Bils are on..BIG difference. [Re: GrnXnham]
Teej Offline

Loc: NJ
[quote=GrnXnham]After reading all the rave reviews of Bilsteins on this forum, I decided to get some for my F150. The X doesn't need any new shocks yet.

I'm not impressed. The ride is extremely stiff and bouncy now compared to the old OEM shocks. I'm not sure what all the excitement is about with these shocks but I won't be putting them on my X. [/quote]

LOL

Well, what valving did you get for rebound and compression, and what was the rebound and compression for the OEM's you replaced?

Remember, Rebound helps to control the sprung weight (Frame, etc...), and the Compression valving helps to control the un-sprung weight (Tires, axles, etc...)

If you get shocks for a lifted truck, they tend to be valved higher on Rebound to help control the added mass up higher, and on compression to help control the larger heavier tires most people get with a lift, etc....unless you order the valving range you want.

:D

What did you get/take off?

2001 5 Spd, 3" SL/2" BL, 33x13.5/16 LTB's, Snorkel, OBA, Warn 9.5 xp/Synth line, Shrock sliders, F/R Bumpers/Skids, 300M T-bars, Diff drop, Revolver Shackles, Bilstein 7100 short body/long travel shocks, Deaver 3-Pack/Calmini 2-Pack AAL, Elec Fan Swap

#490701 - 23/06/09 07:58 AM Re: New Bils are on..BIG difference. [Re: Teej]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
What I just said x2

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal