2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#492265 - 07/08/09 12:37 AM Wiring GPS unit
TedBeidler Offline

I have a TomTom gps and I hate plugging in the charger to the cig lighter all the time. I would like to wire it so that I could have the plug sticking out somewhere and just plugging it into the unit. It's late, hopefully this makes sense. Anyone know how to do this? I don't know much of anything about electrical stuff so any help would be great thanks.

#492267 - 07/08/09 08:15 AM Re: Wiring GPS unit [Re: TedBeidler]
Gonzo-2 Offline

Loc: Lansing, Michigan
I had a similar problem that I solved in a very useful way (at least for me anyway).

I also have a GPS and my iPod as well. I'm sure others have more "stuff" than either one of us!

I didn't like plugging in my GPS all the time either (I use mine whenever I'm in the truck). So to solve the problem, I built a bar out of aluminum angle iron and mounted it to the front of the drivers seat with the seat bolts. This way it's low and out of the way, yet easily usable if/when I need to get to it.

On this bar I put 2 sets of 2 power plugs (4 total) on two circuits (2 plugs per circuit). They both have relays that activate them and are wired so I could plug some heavy duty devices into them as well (I wired them up to be able to handle 20+ amps). Beside each set of two plugs I also mounted a switch that activates each set. One set is always hot (whether the truck is running or not) the other is only hot with the truck. I then ran the needed wiring and plugged my GPS into the hot side. That way, if I'll be out of the truck for some time and want to turn off the GPS, all I have to do is reach down and turn off the switch - the GPS will then automatically turn itself off. If I'll be out for only a short time, I'll just leave it on and the GPS will stay on whether the truck is running or not.

When I want it on, I flip the switch on. With power coming into the GPS from the cable, the GPS automatically turns on. This way, I never have to plug/unplug the GPS, except when I need to use it in my wife's car...

Does this help?

-G

BFG AT/KO
Custom fuse panels for electrical mods
Custom backup solution mod (lights/camera/monitor)
Custom switched power outlets (8+ total)
Lots-o-Lights (6 driving lights, 10 total)

Original registration - Sep, '03
Pre-crash post count - ~1100

#492791 - 01/09/09 08:46 AM Re: Wiring GPS unit [Re: Gonzo-2]
abnatare Offline

Thanks for the info. I just bought the wife an 09 Xterra. It has the cigarette lighter which is always hot but it also has an ACC plug that is also always hot. I installed a Sirius Radio in her truck so I want it to turn on and off with the ignition so neither plug is acceptable. I purchased the aftermarket plug and ran the wire up through the existing hole in the firewall and to the fusebox. I also purchsed an ATM Add-A Circuit fuse tap(by Bussman). No matter what I connect that to, its still always hot even though I connect it to things that I know are not hot when the ignition is off and the key is out. What am I missing? To test, I also skipped the Add-A-Tap and wired directly to the fuses and still the same result.

#492793 - 01/09/09 09:12 AM Re: Wiring GPS unit [Re: abnatare]
Adam Offline

Loc: Upstate, SC
I just bought a cigar plug Y adapter, clipped off one of the sockets, wired it behind the dash to a fuse tap plugged into something.. Easy, works great.

"I don't know where we're going, but we're making GREAT time!"

#492795 - 01/09/09 10:59 AM Re: Wiring GPS unit [Re: Adam]
abnatare Offline

Maybe I am confused but if I plug a Y into the existing cigar plugs they too will be constant hot as well. I need to create on that shuts off when the ignition is off and hte key is removed so the Sirius Radio Unit is not always on (and my wife will not need to remember to manually turn it off).

#492800 - 01/09/09 04:31 PM Re: Wiring GPS unit [Re: abnatare]
Adam Offline

Loc: Upstate, SC
you gotta cut the socket part off and wire it to an ign switched circuit.

OR

Install the Sirius car kit, comes with a auto to sirius converter.

"I don't know where we're going, but we're making GREAT time!"

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal