2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49269 - 09/04/02 06:05 PM Jet G Force Controller?
xbertmx Offline

Loc: Ab, Canada
I was at a local dealer today dropping off my x from a service. I was looking at the SC and talking to one of the dealers and we ended up talking about upgrades for non SC x's. Anyway, he told me about how they had a used X on the lot a few weeks earlier that the owner had put in a chip. The dealer told me he drove it and he said there was a big difference in power. So I called a store here in town and the guy said they have a Jet G Force Controller that attaches to the engine and can be turned on or off as you like. Apparently it ups the HP by 13-18 ponies. Its sells for about $450 CDN (aournd $300 US). So I'm wondering if anyone here has tried this or heard about it. I searched and all that came up was posts about sending your chip to a company for re-programming. But nothing about a separately installed piece.
Any ideas?

Thanks.
Rob

#49270 - 09/04/02 06:07 PM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
xbertmx Offline

Actually it might have been V Force (not G)

#49271 - 09/04/02 06:20 PM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Did your dealer mention anything about how it may affect the warranty?

#49272 - 09/04/02 06:29 PM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
xbertmx Offline

Yeah the guy I was talking to said that the controller in the used one they sold didn't void the warranty. But he said to double check with their service manager just in case.

From what he was saying it sounded pretty damn good, if he was selling it to me I'd ignore most of what he said, but since he had nothing to gain by making things up then I figured it sounded pretty good. Plus I was saying how it would be cool to change my 00 to an 02 SC and was the one that said why bother, just get a chip and maybe a new exhuast and your most of the way there.

#49273 - 09/04/02 07:59 PM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
Nut Offline

Loc: Calif
Sounds like a common Used Car Salesman making promises and pumping up the product of which he knows nothing about. Void the warranty? Naa, but better check with the service manager. "Check Engine" light issues? Naa, but better check with somebody.

No thanks. Too much hassle to possible void the warranty on the emissions system and ECU and also cost you 200 to 300 dollars for that privilege to due so [Huh?]

#49274 - 09/04/02 09:11 PM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
xbertmx Offline

I don't know. He said that the warranty wasn't voided on the one they sold, so I don't think that would be an issue. I haven't heard about the "check engine" thing. But I figure since its just an add-on and not an actual change to the computer it can't do any damage if you just turn it off.

#49275 - 09/04/02 09:17 PM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

#49276 - 09/04/02 10:06 PM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
xbertmx Offline

Yeah, I think thats the one. I emailed them to get the whole story on it, but it doesn't seem like a bad way to get some extra power out of the engine. I mean the guy I talked to seemed pretty impressed with it, and its cheaper and easier than getting a new exhuast. Hmmm.,..

#49277 - 10/04/02 10:39 AM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
xbertmx Offline

Got an email back from jet performance, if anyones interested.

Hi,

I was looking at the V-Force controller for a 2000 Nissan Xterra. It’s the 4WD, V6, manual. Would the V Force work in this case, and what kind of performance change would I be looking at. The dealer I talked to locally said roughly 10-15 HP increase. Does that sound reasonable?
If there’s anything else you can tell me I’d really appreciate it.
Thanks a lot.

We do have a V-Force unit available for your application. The V-Force box would mount under the dash and you would route the wiring out under the hood. You will have to tap into the TPS wire and splice the MAP or MAF wire, depending on the application. The V-Force will gain an average of 8-10 hp on most applications. Suggested retail is $259.95 .

#49278 - 10/04/02 10:50 AM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
You can do a lot with a stock engine, because manufacturers are usually very conservative in their tuning and chips are a great way to do it on modern engines...

But jeez, $260 for only 8-10hp? I'll pass. I'd rather spend the money on an exhaust I think, which is probably safer - and doesn't risk any warranty issues.

However, if you look at this page it claims 15-17 additional ponies for the "Truck V6" engine... What gives?

#49279 - 10/04/02 11:08 AM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
xbertmx Offline

I'm kind of interested in this one. The guy I talked to at the dealership yesterday was really impressed with the gain in power. And I figure since he wasn't trying to sell it to me, he's probably not exagurating. Especially since he was basically talking me out of trading up for an SC.

I figure the HP gain is somewhere between the 8-10 in the email and the 15-17 on the site. Plus since you can turn it on and off, theres no really problem with emissions tests or warranties.

#49280 - 10/04/02 11:13 AM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
G-ZIGN Offline

Loc: Union City, CA US
well that's not too bad of a price, as a chip for my bimmer is around the same price range.
so it's not too bad...but the bmw chips are dynoed and up you 15hp.

I would wait till they dyno it if they haven't already. I would get one...with a dyno chart that is.

just my .02

#49281 - 10/04/02 11:15 AM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Yeah, good point - if they can/would provide dyno info, I'd be more inclined to believe it.

As for chip prices, $260 isn't bad - I'm just saying, for 8-10hp though, it's a bit much.

#49282 - 10/04/02 11:18 AM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
xbertmx Offline

I sent off another email asking about the warranty/"check engine" light problems, and also for dyno results.

I'll post later if they get back to me.

#49283 - 10/04/02 12:13 PM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
boholio Offline

Loc: Denver CO
Just a thought on the JetChip company. They are currently the only ones out with an ECU upgrade for the X that I can find. If you take a look at what performance gains they give you compared to other companies that do the same thing(Stillen, Jim Wolf, Dinan, Renntech, etc..) and the track records, I would reccomend, and am doing myself, waiting for someone else to come out with one. As a comparison for you, I own a 95 Twin Turbo 300ZX Stage 7 with mostly Stillen mods, and if you look at the ECU upgrade Stillen VS. Jetchip, both void warrenty, Stillen adds 65hp(dyno proven) while Jetchip says 25-28hp. Instead of blowing that money, first get exhaust, intake, and a throttle body spacer. All together should give you about 40 true hp.
Just my 2 cents.

#49284 - 10/04/02 01:31 PM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
PismoTaco Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA
A note to be carefull. We on the tacoma board have found that JET does absolutly nothing for our trucks despite thier claims. They are more than happy to take our money and slap a fancy sticker on our ECU that does nothing.
-Chris

#49285 - 10/04/02 04:46 PM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
Strom Offline

1. The Jet reprogramming does not void your warranty.

2. The Jet ECU reprogramming and the V-Force Controller are two separate things. I think they give you 15-17 and 8-10 horsepower, respectively.

#49286 - 10/04/02 05:08 PM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
xbertmx Offline

I haven't heard back about the dyno results, but when I picked up my x today I ask the service people and they said that it wouldn't void the warranty UNLESS the problem is directly a result of controller. But the thing is, since it can be turn off and on, you could just turn it off when you take it for a service, and if anything does go wrong just unhook the wires and take it out. What they don't know can't hurt me.

#49287 - 10/04/02 05:35 PM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
BoarderPhreak Offline

That's my take on it, too... I'd rather bone up the other components before just dropping a chip in place that's essentially a "black box."

Gaining horsepower by changing engine parameters is definitely one way to do so... I'd like to see real, proven results and would want, for my own sanity - more details on WHAT they tweaked to get it (more fuel, more air, ignition timing, etc.)

Sounds like they're being a bit more conservative than Stillen just the same...

#49288 - 10/04/02 06:03 PM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
xbertmx Offline

What kind of HP gains would an exhaust upgrade give you?

#49289 - 10/04/02 06:17 PM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
BoarderPhreak Offline

That's a debated issue - but someone here, including a manufacturer or two have done dyno tests on exhaust mods. They can tell you more about it - I'd be guessing.

Like any upgrade though, a full-on exhaust won't give you the most power unless your intake is upgraded as well. Sure, it'll help a stocker though.

You'll still be going through the anemic exhaust manifold though. SLR has headers and a wider throttle body as well as a lumpier cam. Drop all these in place, and you're talking a nice increase in power.

#49290 - 10/04/02 07:41 PM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
...SLR has headers ...
You wouldn't care to elaborate on this, would you?

#49291 - 11/04/02 07:16 AM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
Strom Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xbertmx:
I haven't heard back about the dyno results, but when I picked up my x today I ask the service people and they said that it wouldn't void the warranty UNLESS the problem is directly a result of controller. But the thing is, since it can be turn off and on, you could just turn it off when you take it for a service, and if anything does go wrong just unhook the wires and take it out. What they don't know can't hurt me.
I found this on the Jet site - pretty interesting:

Quote:
Will JET Performance tuning void my warranty?
No. Federal law prohibits a dealer from voiding your warranty just because you are using aftermarket speed equipment, with only two exceptions: the warranty can be voided if the aftermarket part causes damage or adversely affects the emissions or the emissions system. In recent documents produced by the SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association), a trade association-representing specialty automotive parts manufacturers, and the following quotes have been extracted:

"The vehicle manufacturer is not allowed to void the vehicle warranty just because aftermarket equipment is installed on the vehicle. This protection for consumers is the result of a parts self-certification program developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA).

"Under the program, if a parts maker completes the EPA process of self-certifying its parts, the vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty even if the certified part has failed and is directly responsible for the warranty claim. In cases where such a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the manufacturer must arrange a settlement with the part manufacturer, but the new vehicle warrant is not void under the law.

"If the failure to honor a claim involves the new-vehicle warranty, and it appears that the manufacturer is improperly denying a claim, the incident should be reported to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC is responsible for monitoring compliance with the warranty law; the agency's telephone number is 202/326-3128."

So it looks like it won't affect your warranty, even if it is directly responsible, as long as the part is "self-certified" under EPA guidelines.

#49292 - 11/04/02 07:21 AM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
Strom Offline

I also noticed the following from the Jet site:

Quote:
Custom Computer Upgrade Packages Include:

Step by Step instructions
Return shipping is inclued in the price
Shipping instructions
Shipping carton
Packing materials
Preaddressed shipping form
Computer location chart
Horsepower specification chart
Warranty information
I would really like to see what that says...

#49293 - 11/04/02 09:02 AM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Caver-X:
Quote:
[b]...SLR has headers ...
You wouldn't care to elaborate on this, would you?[/b]
Headers. You know, "zoom zoom."

They replace the restrictive stock exhaust manifold with a more free-flowing system.

I don't know if they're out yet as it doesn't seem to be listed on their interim site, but it was listed on the old one...

#49294 - 11/04/02 09:45 AM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Quote:
Headers. You know, "zoom zoom."

They replace the restrictive stock exhaust manifold with a more free-flowing system.

I don't know if they're out yet as it doesn't seem to be listed on their interim site, but it was listed on the old one...
I know what headers are, I had just not heard anything about SLR (or anyone) offering them. I don't remember them on the old site at all... (and the interim site is useless). Has anyone heard that SLR offers them? I know some guy on one of the Frontier boards was gauging interest to custom-build some, but I'm not entirely confident he knew what he was doing. Getting headers tuned just right for the best performance isn't something you can "guess".

#49295 - 12/04/02 01:01 AM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
Strom Offline

A few of us have been trying to get Gibson Performance out of Corona, CA to build some. Obviously because of how much work they are to fabricate, we have had some trouble.

Here's a list of people we put together who would be interested:

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000170

Ask Socalpunx about the contact he has had with Gibson - last I heard, they were putting the project on hold because they're really busy.

Maybe if everyone here gave them a call and inquired about Gibson headers for the Xterra, they would be more inclined to produce some. laugh

#49296 - 12/04/02 06:52 AM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
A few observations -
Alot of these 'magic boxes' are made for rice boys to impress other rice boys. It's unlikely they will do anything for a stock or lightly modded motor. (intake and exhaust)
Install one wrong - cross a wire splice - and you may blow the ECU. Just a little current in the wrong place will easily fry a microchip. Ask the dealer for a new computer - sure. He'll ignore the cuts in the wires. Wanna bet.
If you build a serious motor then you will need a programable ECU and the instruments that go along with it. A/F ratio, fuel pressure, knock sensor, boost-vacuum, laptop for downloads and...
Would make one heck of a street racer but would suck off-road.
So you want exhaust headers? Great for top end power. But everyone says they want low end torque for off-road applications. For low end, a header made with soda straw diameter tubing would be super. But it would choke mid and high end power. How about a big old sewer pipe header. Great top end, low end would suck tho. The factory gave me a header that is tolerable... why mess.
Wanna know how to fool a dyno? Ask some of the go-faster suppliers - they know. That's if the stuff ever gets tested. Dyno time is expensive. They cannot afford to check every piss-ant little item that they sell. They'll make promises and take your money - it would cost you more in dyno time to prove them wrong.

dave and xtoy - it's your $$$ wink

#49297 - 12/04/02 10:40 AM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
BoarderPhreak Offline

SLR's interim site IS useless, as I remember very well the headers that they had listed on the old site. Of course, not having access to it, I can't verify anything.

#49298 - 12/04/02 01:07 PM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
PismoTaco Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA
If anybody does get the ecu mod or anything else done please do a before and after dyno. Over at ttora we did a collective pool w/ all the members and raised enough money for 2 dyno sessions. Sessions run about $100/hour, make sure you choose a guinne pig that intellegent so that he/she may forsee problems that might affect data.

For our runs we are trying a before/after exhaust and also gettting gains of different air filters (stock, k&n, amsoil) and also a air box modification.
-Chris

#49299 - 13/04/02 10:21 AM Re: Jet G Force Controller?
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by boholio:
Instead of blowing that money, first get exhaust, intake, and a throttle body spacer. All together should give you about 40 true hp.
Just my 2 cents.
There is no way you will get 40 HP from an intake and exhaust. Everyone that has gotten the TBS says it does nothing but make a lot if noise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal