2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49434 - 06/03/06 10:10 AM 05 and newer locking axle on 1997 hardbody
Anonymous
Unregistered

i have a pretty much stock 1997 hardbody pickup and was wondering if it was possible to put a locking axle off a newer X on my truck, are they the same size, bolt pattern, could i jurrry rig a switch to control the locker, IS IT POSSIBLE?

#49435 - 06/03/06 10:16 AM Re: 05 and newer locking axle on 1997 hardbody
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wrong bolt pattern, spring under axle on the Xterras and parking brake setup is different.

Possible, yes, feasable, no. I don't think you'll find one in a junkyard that cheap.

You actually have the better setup, because you have an available Detroit locker for your diff (unless it's a C200, but I doubt that it would be) and axle spline count.

Plus, I don't know the reliability of the e-locker at higher speeds and such.

If you were going to do a swap, do a swap to an actual D44 rear diff (old school) and then go with the Calmini SAS kit for putting the leafs in the front. You'll be unstoppable with gobs and gobs of goodies that are unavailable to us. [ThumbsUp]

#49436 - 06/03/06 11:03 AM Re: 05 and newer locking axle on 1997 hardbody
Anonymous
Unregistered

i want a locker, i see how much it makes a difference on our 4x4 farm tractor but i want to be able to turn it off since this is still my daily driver, and i want to not scrafice to much on road drivability yet, is there a lsd that works well or a locker that can be controlled

#49437 - 06/03/06 11:15 AM Re: 05 and newer locking axle on 1997 hardbody
Anonymous
Unregistered

http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/shop...9be500338f239d6

There ya go. t's not cheap, but I am sure a lot cheaper than trying to find a rear axle out of an 05-06 X (or frontier).

#49438 - 06/03/06 11:18 AM Re: 05 and newer locking axle on 1997 hardbody
Anonymous
Unregistered

tell me more about a detroit locker, is it possible to use on the road, how does it work, lockup?

#49439 - 06/03/06 11:57 AM Re: 05 and newer locking axle on 1997 hardbody
Anonymous
Unregistered

They're very streetable, once you learn to drive 'em.

If you hit the gas, it locks up, off the gas and some play, she's off.

Going around at corner? Get off the gas just before you turn, or give it just enough gas to go around and then coast through the corner (or use very little gas) and it'll let you go through without chirping tires.

If you're on the gas a lot, then the Detroit will continue to lock up the rear end, making it difficult to drive.

I'd go that route though. 4 wheel like a monster, and get some new in-town driving habits, and you'll always wonder why you didn't do it before!

#49440 - 06/03/06 01:51 PM Re: 05 and newer locking axle on 1997 hardbody
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I don't know that you can even find an H233B Detroit locker anymore, but the Richmond/Powertrax LockRight is still available.

However, you can't install one in a 97 Hardbody. First, it requires an open carrier, not LSD. Thing is, the 97 models with the open diff got the 2-pinion one-piece carrier, not the 4-pinion 2-piece carrier needed for a Detroit or Lockright install. You can find and swap in the proper carrier and be good to go, but FYI...

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#49441 - 06/03/06 01:59 PM Re: 05 and newer locking axle on 1997 hardbody
Anonymous
Unregistered

Damnit Brent! Every time you post technical information, I have to go running to the parts dept and verify it. You're frickin' right again! [LOL]

I'm going to stop double checking you, you know that? :p

Can't get the Detroits any more? Crap. I was kind of thinking of swapping over to the older axles and such to get the Detroit in the back of the PhoeniX. That superpacked LSD of mine eats the tires. Oh well, perhaps it'll get me go D44 in the back........too. laugh

#49442 - 07/03/06 10:31 AM Re: 05 and newer locking axle on 1997 hardbody
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Hehe, I'm usually right anyway, but keep checking. You're the pro after all.

As for the Detroit, I keep hearing that they're getting rare. If you want one, 4x4parts.com is the place to get it. Give 'em a call and they can confirm if they have any left.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal