2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#494389 - 01/01/10 10:03 PM Knock sensor relocation questions
up4speed Offline

Loc: Lake Grove, NY
I am doing the knock sensor relocation on my 2000 Xterra (non S/C....s/c didn't even exist then ;)) I ordered the Maxima parts in order to do the relocation, but I have two questions. First of all I don't want to ruin the factory wiring so I am planning on doing the job by pulling the knock sensor wires out of the factory connector on the valve cover. How do I pull the wires out of the connector without damaging them? Is it easy? I know that I have to somehow unlock a safety lock, then push away clips holding the connectors in place. I know all the connectors are slightly different so can someone tell me what the trick is with this connector? One more very important question. I don't want to screw this up so, what color wires from the truck go with what color wires from the Maxima wiring harness. It seems that the colors change from year to year, so what are the colors for my year? If I screw up and do them backwards, what will happen? will I just spit a code, or will there be worse consequenses? Thanks in advance!!

#494503 - 10/01/10 06:35 PM Re: Knock sensor relocation questions [Re: up4speed]
up4speed Offline

I'm happy to report that I didn't have to do the bypass after all!!
The service manual told me to loosen and re-tighten the grounds on the intake manifold, that didn't work, which is why I thought I needed a new sensor. Well, before I dove in and did a sensor bypass, I figured I would do a real good job cleaning and checking the wiring. I removed the grounds and used a scotchbrite pad on the terminal and the surface of the manifold at the screw contact point. I then cleaned it with contact cleaner and screwed it back on. I then took the connector apart, sprayed it with contact cleaner. I then bent the two terminals in the connector for the knock sensor, just a hair, so the terminal pushed against the wall of the female side, when it got plugged back in. Just a warning though, if you are going to bend the terminal, make sure you don't do it too much, or you will ruin the connector!! When you are done, you shouldn't even be able to tell it was moved by looking at it. I would say I may have moved it about 1/2mm. Even then, when I tried to plug it back together, I had to wiggle the connector a little to get it to line up properly, so be careful!!
I then cleared my codes, drove the drive cycle and the scangauge finally showed up with a No Codes....READY, meaning I'm good to go!! Anyway, thanks for all the help, I guess the guys who said that it is usually not the sensor and it is just dirty connectors was correct in my case. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope it wasn't just a fluke. I don't think it was, because I was continuously getting a code after resetting every day, for about a half a month now.

#494563 - 15/01/10 04:25 AM Re: Knock sensor relocation questions [Re: up4speed]
up4speed Offline

Bad news, it WAS a fluke and cleaning the grounds and connector didn't fix the knock sensor code. The code came back after another hot and cold cycle. I'm not happy about that, but I did the knock sensor relocation and all went well so far. I decided to just remove the required terminals from the connector and the other terminals from the Maxima harness. I plugged the terminals into each other, then put heat shrink tubing around the connection. That was followed up by wire loom around everything, and zip tied everything to the factory wiring harness, everything looks good and it looks factory. Now I just have to hope that it is fixed. I went through a hot and cold cycle once already, and it still didn't spit a code, so I should be ok. As far as the wiring harness, there is only one wire coming out of the harness on the knock sensor side. On the other side of the Maxima harness, I attached the clear wire of the harness to the white (looks yellowed) wire on the valve cover harness and the black wire of the Maxima harness to the grey wire on the valve cover harness. All is well so far, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

#673472 - 11/10/10 03:25 PM Re: Knock sensor relocation questions [Re: up4speed]
wrain Offline

Loc: red dirt road
I have been looking on line for a diagram to find the wiring location on a 2002 x for the KS as prep for a relocation. Everything I have seen so far has been for the earlier models. Any idea where I can go to get that diagram? or even pics people have posted as to it's location? thanks,r

#673811 - 11/11/10 07:11 PM Re: Knock sensor relocation questions [Re: wrain]
chewie Offline

Loc: southern NJ
i unfortunaly i don't have my xterra anymore, but now i have a '03 frontier. i have a knock sensor code. does the relocation procedure apply to my truck as well? i'd imagine it has to, since they're the same engine. where can i find the detailed instructions?

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal